• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Anyone else not use fairway drivers?

I'd sooner give up mids than fairways. I still tend to get poor results when "powering up" my mids, whereas I can power down fairways mo' betta. My Teebird is money for forehand and backhand, and it's so good for hyzers and flex lines. It's also way better at shots that need to stay low than putters and mids (at least for me). I also bag a Leopard, which I could replace with a non-fairway if I really wanted, but I prefer the Leo. Then Firebird is a staple, and my Undertaker doesn't look like it's leaving the bag anytime soon (if those are considered fairways).

I'm not saying I'm great, but fairways are great (and one of the main reasons I'll always bag Innova).

Nope, I love my fairway drivers. My Craves are one of my most frequently used molds, and Fireballs see tons of action. Inspire is there for consistent, controlled turnovers.

In fact for a lot of courses I take out every driver besides those molds.

I can get putters and mids 400-450', but sometimes I find there's a benefit to discing up to a fairway driver for a 250-325' shot. Especially when low ceilings come into play.

Same boat as you. I go from buzz to Thunderbird. The Buzz is basically a fairway anyway just not very good in to wind. Also I find the Thunderbird to power down nicely.

I guess it depends on your courses too, if you play in more open courses and have a giant arm it makes sense to either throw a putter or mid straight at it, or hyzer bomb big drivers. Fairways will still handle low ceilings and uphill shots better than mids, and you can shape turnovers differently than mids and distance drivers. Fairways I think can get that slow flip like a mid but with more distance and a little more trustworthy ending pan/stability, but distance drivers that are that flippy can be really touchy.

Of course you are the one who knows what works for you. If I had 500' of power I could see the PD working on my "fairway" shots likely in the 350-450' range, but I don't have that power so I like throwing fairways 325-375' and the PD doesn't power down well for me.

If you look at McBeth he probably chooses Roc3 or Thunderbird almost all the time, but if there's a touchy straight or mild S-flight he'll throw a Teebird instead, or if the ceiling is a bit too low for his Roc he'll throw a Teebird.

I carry discs that cover at least 4 stabilities for each slot (Mids, Fairways, Distance) so I typically will actually reach for a FD over a DD unless there is wind. I bag 2 FBs, 1 Eagle-X, 1 TeeBird, 1 FD, and 1 Stag for fairways, my PDs and Sidewinder are more of DDs for me but I throw the PDs FH and the Sidewinder doesn't go much further than my Eagle or Stag. My Eagle-X (7/10) will go almost as far as my E*DS (5.5/10) without as much issues into the wind. Unless I'm in an open field FDs are more likely to be thrown but my doubles tourney Sunday will prove whether that holds true now that my Destroyers are back in the bag.

If it works, don't try and fix it. I usually think that if you break discs out into putters, mids, fairways, control drivers, and distance drivers there is a lot of overlap and middle ground. It would be easy to build a bag that didn't have any one of the three middle categories. I tend to avoid true distance drivers because I have a noodle arm, but that frees up space in the bag to throw more fairways and control drivers so it all works out

I can get putters and mids 400-450', but sometimes I find there's a benefit to discing up to a fairway driver for a 250-325' shot. Especially when low ceilings come into play.

That's very true, Mike. I didn't mean to say I would throw my putter on every hole < 340', I don't. I wouldn't use a putter on a low-ceiling or other type shot that calls for something else. I've just always preferred to go with my mids and if it's needed, an S-pd. Thanks for your thoughts.

I am relearning the concept of discing down downwind. I accidentally bought a 156 Breakout, and I throw it as far or farter than my true DDs when throwing down wind. I also have to have fairways for some second shots on our par 4, and a few tee shots simply due to how they fly compared to mids.

My fairways are the one thing that isn't really set in my bag... ive found that so far I work best with one fairway driver. I've got a mid cycle going, proxy/envy for putters, serpent/scale for approaches, and a Defender cycle for distance drives. Mids go 360 or so and distance drivers go 425-450, but they still fly well at the 400 mark. The only think I'm missing is the line drive 385-400 foot shot, which I find a seasoned volt to be great for-I've ditched craves in favor of mids and a volt and I don't keep a speed 10 in the bag. Seasoned volt is a great line drive go-to, it's the only fairway I really need from what I can gather now. Very little turn and minimal fade makes an easily shapeable fairway, I don't see the need for anything stupid OS or flippy.

If I could throw a Teebird on every shot, I totally would.

Fairway drivers are just more controllable than higher speed stuff. It's not all about distance.

This thread is like a Bill Brasky convention.

It depends on what you consider a fairway. I use Firebirds a lot.

Aren't fairways generally speed 9 or less? That's what I generally consider them to be, fwiw.

My thoughts as well. Always find it funny in threads like this, we have
Putters
Mids
Fairways
Distance drivers

"oh the Thunderbird is more of a Control Driver." um... isn't that the same class as Fairway with a different name?

Anyway I wonder if I was able to really get the most out of the wide rim and had consistent ~60' more feet of power if I would feel different about the topic or would it enforce my opinions on my favorite discs.

Right now fairways are my powerhouse really but a lot of that has to do with the fact I am just recently able to get Distance Drivers out farther, but that isn't even consistent and the longest holes I play are uphill where my Beat up Saint is still longer. Fairways seem to be so much more controllable in so many more situations for me. If I were to start eliminating discs from my bag I could lose distance drivers and not miss them. I could pare down my putters to just an Envy I could probably cut my mids down to just a Compass. Fairways though? I would still want at least 3 or 4 of them.

This thread is like a Bill Brasky convention.

It depends on what you consider a fairway. I use Firebirds a lot.

Bill Brasky throws his minis for 350' holes.

But seriously, I use my fairways more than my distance drivers, especially on the heavily wooded courses around here.

If you can get a Teebird to 400ish, there isn't a lot of opportunities to air out a Destroyer, unless you play on wide open courses.

I wonder if I was able to really get the most out of the wide rim and had consistent ~60' more feet of power if I would feel different about the topic or would it enforce my opinions on my favorite discs.

Well, the further you can throw, the less use you get out of distance drivers. If you can throw 600' but every hole is 420' or less, you'll be working mids and fairways off the tee for the most part.

Going all Envy would be interesting once Electrons are out.

when my 6 speed disc goes 450' and can do a **** load more work on tons of lines vs a 11+ whatever stability mold I really sometimes start to wonder wtf I'm doing with all these discs.

Now you have me wondering which 6 speed goes BOOM like that AIM? I have a serious case of Relay chub, but I am 99% certain it won't go that distance even with much better form than I possess.

Now you have me wondering which 6 speed goes BOOM like that AIM? I have a serious case of Relay chub, but I am 99% certain it won't go that distance even with much better form than I possess.

I've hit 450 with Relays and 500' with Craves & Inspires in the field. Don't use them at that range on the course but they cruise.

Latest posts