• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone ever hit a kid? Dangerous courses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
so why is he left dealing with all that BS? Because the dog owners think that the entire park is theirs and nothing else matters. So the disc golfers are stuck with worrying about themselves AND the dumbass dog walkers. instead of everyone in the park worrying about how their actions affect others.

Because if the dog walkers don't pay attention and get hit, it comes back on disc golfers. They're not going to close the park to dog walkers after an incident like that, they'll shut down the disc golf course. The consequences fall completely on disc golfers, it's in our best interest to be the ones to pay attention to all that BS.

Burke Lake is the worst course. I don't think people understand that most holes are 250 feet with crossing fairways. And there are several paved paths surrounding the holes.

Burke Lake is:
Packed so busy
next to a lake
next to a carrosel
next to a playground for kids
next to several busy jogging paths.
next to the welcome center

basically it is a great course with hazards of hitting people. heck you can even hit cars too.

I guess I was more directing that at the way the club in my town operates. Its just one of my peevs! I love the game but sometimes guys get so caught up in the course being theirs. Because of course the work and time thats put into said park on behalf of the club. That they forget that there are others that enjoy the park too.

ha...i've been yelled at by a particular person for trying to throw on #2 when someone was walking ~200 feet right on the path by #1. no danger in this scenario. but i do wait to throw or warn folks if anyone could potentially be in the line of an errant throw, no matter where i am. last thing you want is to hurt somebody with a disc. said person later proceeded to practice drives on #1 while someone was walking up the path on #1, where any turnover means danger. nearly clipped a lady in the head. and this has happened more than once. :doh:

Last edited:
Everyone seems to think they are entitled to the park.....disc golfers, joggers, bike riders, etc. They are called multi-use for a reason. If you hit someone with a disc it is your fault. They didn't hit themselves. You threw it, your fault. Don't be a douchebag that thinks everyone should know what disc golf is, where disc golf courses are, or how dangerous it can be. It's your responsibility as a disc golfer to make sure that your discs aren't endangering others.

What Hammer said.
Also, signage implies liability. If someone throws a disc and hits someone (shouldn't have thrown anyway if there is a remote chance), said person could legally argue in court that "You knew there was a danger, you even posted signs!"
I have to deal w/ this stuff all the time at my short "home" course. Respectful explanation goes a long way, then again, I do run across the occasional "I was here first" person...

Because if the dog walkers don't pay attention and get hit, it comes back on disc golfers. They're not going to close the park to dog walkers after an incident like that, they'll shut down the disc golf course. The consequences fall completely on disc golfers, it's in our best interest to be the ones to pay attention to all that BS.

Truth.

You guys realize that most of your disc golf courses were paid for with tax payer money, right? Who do you think contributed more to that pot; the disc golfers, or the rest of the community (dog walkers included)? It's not your park, you're a guest. It belongs to everyone. If you hit someone, and they sue the city. Guess what happens to your disc golf course.....It becomes a bigger dog park.

Do you not see the hypocrisy in this statement?

I see what you're attempting to get at but no it's not hypocrisy when I do everything I can not to hit them and am aware enough of my surroundings and the dangers I pose so I wait and don't just throw whenever. I check blind fairways and have even skipped whole sections of a course just because it's easy to be the bigger man and let them be selfish turds. They can do their activities in safe areas and the designated areas. I'm not walking over to the kids play area and setting up my basket near the jungle jim. I play my game in the area of the park that is designated for it. How about they go walk on the paths or any number of areas that won't potentially get their head lopped off? That's what I saying and you aren't going to change this guy's mind with your call for care. We all share this world and the people who choose to walk around with their heads down and unaware are going to get ran over. That's how it works in every other aspect of society and I don't see this any different. If you can't be bothered to protect your kid's I can't be bothered to skip holes anymore. I've tried your "it's all on me" approach. Not buying it anymore. :popcorn:

Burke Lake is the worst course. I don't think people understand that most holes are 250 feet with crossing fairways. And there are several paved paths surrounding the holes.

Burke Lake is:
Packed so busy
next to a lake
next to a carrosel
next to a playground for kids
next to several busy jogging paths.
next to the welcome center

basically it is a great course with hazards of hitting people. heck you can even hit cars too.

It also is one of the very first courses installed on the East Coast, and is consistently the busiest course in the Washington DC area (though Bluemont can get busy at times as well).

It's not a bad course, the terrain is actually pretty cool and even with the relatively short distances, the trees make the course challenging.

Plus, the parents are morons for not holding onto him until your disc hit the ground.

This exactly. They waved me on to throw, they obviously knew that there was a disc golf course there. I don't know what in their heads made them think it was a good idea to let him go.

Jesus Christ. Why the **** do you think I'm lambasting someone about dog walkers? I'm not.....at all.

My statement is directed towards the people on this forum that are trying to justify throwing at innocent people.

Innocent? As if I'm guilty for doing my activity lol You guys are preaching for multi use but completely absolving every group of responsibility except the disc golfers. No one said they throw on people. If people refuse to move and I'm done waiting, yeah they get a head's up and I throw. They're not innocent at that point they're willing fleshy targets who are gambling with their own safety.

I see what you're attempting to get at but no it's not hypocrisy when I do everything I can not to hit them and am aware enough of my surroundings and the dangers I pose so I wait and don't just throw whenever. I check blind fairways and have even skipped whole sections of a course just because it's easy to be the bigger man and let them be selfish turds. They can do their activities in safe areas and the designated areas. I'm not walking over to the kids play area and setting up my basket near the jungle jim. I play my game in the area of the park that is designated for it. How about they go walk on the paths or any number of areas that won't potentially get their head lopped off? That's what I saying and you aren't going to change this guy's mind with your call for care. We all share this world and the people who choose to walk around with their heads down and unaware are going to get ran over. That's how it works in every other aspect of society and I don't see this any different. If you can't be bothered to protect your kid's I can't be bothered to skip holes anymore. I've tried your "it's all on me" approach. Not buying it anymore. :popcorn:

The difference is that playgrounds and running paths are obvious to everyone. 18 baskets for a niche activity, scattered over a 20 acre property are not obvious. Even if someone sees a basket there is about a 10% chance they have any clue what it is for. Even if the parents are a-holes doesn't mean it's ok to put an innocent child at risk. A well placed Destroyer to the dome could kill/permanently injure a kid. Are you prepared to deal with knowing that you killed/crippled a child because you didn't want to skip hole 7?

Innocent? As if I'm guilty for doing my activity lol You guys are preaching for multi use but completely absolving every group of responsibility except the disc golfers. No one said they throw on people. If people refuse to move and I'm done waiting, yeah they get a head's up and I throw. They're not innocent at that point they're willing fleshy targets who are gambling with their own safety.

If you go to a park to shoot hoops but find kids using the blacktop for chalk art, are you just going to play anyway and say it's on them if they get a rebound to the face?

How about if you want to go hit some softballs with buddies but find an ultimate game in progress in the outfield? Gonna still swing away?

If you are giving them notice, then I am more inclined to agree. However, most people don't know what these discs are capable of. It's not that they are volunteering to endanger themselves, and much as it is ignorance. Not many people are familiar with disc golf. Even the chuckers that are, don't seem to realize how bad a disc can hurt. I've watch a couple guys try to play catch with them.

The difference is that playgrounds and running paths are obvious to everyone. 18 baskets for a niche activity, scattered over a 20 acre property are not obvious. Even if someone sees a basket there is about a 10% chance they have any clue what it is for. Even if the parents are a-holes doesn't mean it's ok to put an innocent child at risk. A well placed Destroyer to the dome could kill/permanently injure a kid. Are you prepared to deal with knowing that you killed/crippled a child because you didn't want to skip hole 7?

lmao dude I appreciate the fervor in which you try to argue your side but it's ridiculous. Check it. :gross:

You said that playgrounds and walking paths are obvious to everyone.....so why in the hell aren't they using them for their purpose!?

Not once did I say I throw on people who are clueless about the course or baskets. I spend as much time doing this and putting for a good image of a disc golfer to them all but there comes a point when you say ok screw it, heads up! I've said this now about four times. I wait. I tell them what's going on. I give them a chance to process it or respond or move or whatever. If they decide to stand there near the basket and watch me throw that's completely up to them and no longer my responsibility.

I'm not putting their kids at risk they are. I didn't breed with that woman and that little bundle of joy running behind her gets more safety concern from me in this instance. Parents are responsible for their children. Period. Accidents happen. Period.

Oh and disc golfers pay taxes just like everyone else. Stop with that crap already. People are responsible for their actions. That includes me throwing a disc AND people who decide to put themselves in harms way.

If you go to a park to shoot hoops but find kids using the blacktop for chalk art, are you just going to play anyway and say it's on them if they get a rebound to the face?

How about if you want to go hit some softballs with buddies but find an ultimate game in progress in the outfield? Gonna still swing away?

I think our point is, the story goes like this:

"Hey buddy, we're about to play a game, can you draw over there?"

MOM: "He's fine just where he is."

"Ok, we're going to play anyways then. Heads up!"

OR

MOM is smoking cigs on a nearby bench and junior doesn't respond.

I almost plunked a dude at foxchase last time I was out there. It was on the big uphill hole (hole 8) on the first nine, can't remember the number. I throw. He comes walking out of the woods (like not from a path or anything, just the woods) as my disc is sailing up there. I yell and he ducks and then waits for me to walk up there and yells at me for almost hitting him and did I know this was a public park. I apologized and let him know that he might want to be careful if he is walking around back here because it is a DG course. He then yelled at me some more about he can walk wherever he wants since its a public course and then walks off into the woods again not following any trail.

Last edited:

You're also failing to read any of my posts obviously. You and hammer are just imagining some brute with no compassion standing on a teepad and chucking it at people out of frustration. Maybe that's how you want it to be so you can validate your opinion but I'm done explaining my methods after this. Last time. I don't throw on these clownshoes I ask them to watch out and let them decide if they want to risk it or not.

I'll answer your examples. If those kids are under the basketball hoop and that's the only one? I'm going to ask them to move so I can use the facilities that are only here. they can choose to chalk art elsewhere or risk it.

Ultimate game in the outfield of a softball field? Yeah same thing. They're using an area designated for one activity and not doing it. I would try to find another field but if that's the only one I'm going to say "hey guys we're gonna use the softball field for softball now" and if they choose not to relocate their game that can be played in an open field then they are choosing to risk their safety. I really don't see how this is hard to grasp. It's mulituse and you guys only want disc golfers responsible. Eff that. EVERYONE is responsible for their own safety and if you're under say....15? That responsibility falls on the shoulders of your guardians. :hfive:

You're one hundred percent correct currently and that's the problem for me. One, people are too litigious. If a person is walking a dog in accordance with park policies and laws and gets hit by a disc golfer that disc golfer is responsible.

If that dog walker is walking without a leash or in the wrong area or doing anything else that helped lead them to getting hit it's no longer just on the disc golfer.

I'm sure there is a few but maybe you know some specifically or have some links. I'd be interested in reading where a city got sued and decided to pull a course because a disc golfer hit a person and a judge decided that person had zero culpability.

We have this issue on 18 at my home course. I will take the time to walk to where they are and explain that the discs will hurt if they are hit. For the most part, people will pay attention until we are done throwing. If we get an a hole, we throw away, but generally these are not people with kids. I would not throw on a hole where there are toddlers. Older kids are different in my opinion because they can understand that the discs will hurt them. They just need to pay attention to our group when we throw. I think that everyone should have respect for others in general. If I tell someone what we are doing and ask them to pay attention for 3 minutes, it usually works. If they just have no respect for what we are doing, then that is on them. They were warned. If you tell a group of kids that you are about to launch a disc, they will generally stop whatever they are doing to watch. Don't throw on toddlers though, even if their parents are idiots, the consequences by far outweigh the inconvenience of skipping the hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts