• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone ever hit a kid? Dangerous courses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never hit anyone but i saw a child get hit once. I was playing with a few friends and a couple of my buddys kids one of the kids ran a head of us and was standing in the fairway. Her parents and the guy who was teeing off yelled a couple of times for her to come back. Well she didnt and just layed down in the fairway about 150' on a 300'+ hole. I was standing up by the front of the tee box and didnt see the guy throw all i saw was the disc start to turn and burn straight into her arm. It was a pretty bad situation i was pretty mad and the girls dad was pissed he ended up tackling the guy. She was alright but could have been avoided by just waiting.

You did when you said: "It's your responsibility as a disc golfer to make sure that your discs aren't endangering others."

There is no "sure" other than "100% sure". Anything else is just a "likely" or "probably".

Wow.

captain-obvious.jpg

So many posts here I disagree with, so I will not quote anyone.

Sure, our course is in a multi use park, but that doesn't make it proper to use a tee pad as a picnic spot or to BBQ in a basket. Disc golfers don't use the tables as tees or the paths as fairways. Each part of the park has its proper and designated use. It is absolutely proper to tell a picnicker or walker to move out of the course. Same as it would be proper for a boater to ask a disc golfer not to use the landing ramp as a tee pad.

I see this way too often. I blame the park more than anyone. One parking lot is adjacent to a fairway and basket. The area is really inviting to casual users. A few signs warning of the course would be good to see. They have plenty of money for it.

Sure, our course is in a multi use park, but that doesn't make it proper to use a tee pad as a picnic spot or to BBQ in a basket. Disc golfers don't use the tables as tees or the paths as fairways. Each part of the park has its proper and designated use. It is absolutely proper to tell a picnicker or walker to move out of the course. Same as it would be proper for a boater to ask a disc golfer not to use the landing ramp as a tee pad.

It's certainly not improper to ask other park users to move. However, if for whatever reason they choose not too, it is NOT okay to put them in danger by throwing anyway. Especially if they choose to ignore you and your throw completely.

If someone is refusing to move out of your way, just skip the hole and move on. If it's a frequent problem, talk to the parks department to work on a solution.

Each part of the park has its proper and designated use. It is absolutely proper to tell a picnicker or walker to move out of the course. Same as it would be proper for a boater to ask a disc golfer not to use the landing ramp as a tee pad.

I see this way too often. I blame the park more than anyone. One parking lot is adjacent to a fairway and basket. The area is really inviting to casual users. A few signs warning of the course would be good to see. They have plenty of money for it.

Those silly park users. Don't they know that lovely tree they are picnicking under is actually in the middle of your fairway?

I think P2P is the only way to solve this. However, DGrs, being notoriously cheap, will continue to push for the free model (which is completely unsustainable), and continue to feel they are more entitled to use the open areas of the park than other park users are. We use a ton of park real estate for our free courses and yet still bitch and complain when some other user wants to use the same space. Apparently some DGrs are so entitled they feel its ok to just holler at someone and if they don't move, throw a high speed driver out towards them.

This attitude will lead to more closures of public, multiuse park courses, which in a way, supports my notion that P2P is the way to go.

BOOOO! Always use FORE! If everyone picks their own slogan for an errant disc, the warning alert gets lost in the random noise. I've been considering using my big black sharpie to write FORE! in huge letters on other peoples discs when they throw on me without calling the designated safety word.

I was playing golf much longer that disc golf so I know and appreciate the use of Fore but every single time I've tried it gets no response from the walkers. Like I said though many are not english speaking so maybe that's an issue. Head's up gets a look in your direction at least. We usually have everyone yelling something different. I yell fore and the other's a mix of head's up or watch out.

Those silly park users. Don't they know that lovely tree they are picnicking under is actually in the middle of your fairway?

I think P2P is the only way to solve this. However, DGrs, being notoriously cheap, will continue to push for the free model (which is completely unsustainable), and continue to feel they are more entitled to use the open areas of the park than other park users are. We use a ton of park real estate for our free courses and yet still bitch and complain when some other user wants to use the same space. Apparently some DGrs are so entitled they feel its ok to just holler at someone and if they don't move, throw a high speed driver out towards them.

This attitude will lead to more closures of public, multiuse park courses, which in a way, supports my notion that P2P is the way to go.

Yup.

It's certainly not improper to ask other park users to move. However, if for whatever reason they choose not too, it is NOT okay to put them in danger by throwing anyway. Especially if they choose to ignore you and your throw completely.

If someone is refusing to move out of your way, just skip the hole and move on. If it's a frequent problem, talk to the parks department to work on a solution.

I agree with PMantle absolutely. When talking about adults of course. If they make a conscious decision to not move and do the polite thing I will throw my disc without a care for their safety. Why should I care more about it then they do? I've been using areas to practice with my instep basket and had people show up to use the area. I leave. If I'm in danger of hitting them and using an area that is really not made for my activity I do the polite thing and let them use it. You will never get a change in people's behaviors if you don't reeducate them. Get parks to put up signs and every player make an effort to be safe but informative about the game and then you might see some change. If we're the only ones willing to take responsibility for this we'll be the only ones who ever take any of the blame. Even when it's clearly not. I don't buy this garbage about it's always your fault. If I look and do everything in my power to be safe and someone crosses a course after I throw I think it's pretty mutual at that point.

Nope, you're generalizing everyone into that little group. No one said people under a tree having a picnic are doing anything wrong.

The couple who chooses to sit by the disc golf basket and use it as a trash can aren't either but when approached and warned of the danger and told where they are if they refuse to move then what do you call it?

I say that's exactly what you're claiming all the disc golfers are doing. Acting entitled to areas not designated for them.

I see it this way. Teepad and basket area are disc golf designated areas. The areas in between those objects are a gray zone that everyone is required to acknowledge and be safe in. We do it....now it's time they start opening their eyes and taking a little responsibility for their own safety. You're never going to convince me that disc golfers are selfish simply because we use equipment and areas designated for OUR activity. They can walk all over this planet and those parks, the decent thing to do is do your activity where you don't interfere with others. We don't have that luxury with permanent fixtures. Those who can move themselves should. Simply put.

Last edited:
I agree with PMantle absolutely. When talking about adults of course. If they make a conscious decision to not move and do the polite thing I will throw my disc without a care for their safety. Why should I care more about it then they do? I've been using areas to practice with my instep basket and had people show up to use the area. I leave. If I'm in danger of hitting them and using an area that is really not made for my activity I do the polite thing and let them use it. You will never get a change in people's behaviors if you don't reeducate them. Get parks to put up signs and every player make an effort to be safe but informative about the game and then you might see some change. If we're the only ones willing to take responsibility for this we'll be the only ones who ever take any of the blame. Even when it's clearly not. I don't buy this garbage about it's always your fault. If I look and do everything in my power to be safe and someone crosses a course after I throw I think it's pretty mutual at that point.

This is a pretty good example of the sense of entitlement that is the issue.

If you throw an object at someone, even if you told them ahead of time you were going to do it, and you hurt them, you are 100% liable. Stop acting like you have more right to a public space than any other person does. You don't and the day you injure someone you are going to find that out.

I agree everyone is obligated to share the park, but the burden of responsibility is on the person carrying out the dangerous activity.

Last edited:

If you throw an object at someone, even if you told them ahead of time you were going to do it, and you hurt them, you are 100% liable. Stop acting like you have more right to a public space than any other person does. You don't and the day you injure someone you are going to find that out.

You are not 100% liable. Its a disc golf course. Good luck suing someone for hitting you in the middle of a fairway on a disc golf course.

Hint: You wont win. Meaning, you are not liable.

The burdon is on the person who is where they should not be. If I get shot walking across a shooting gallery, i certainly wont be winning any lawsuits.

I never said I have more of a right.....I said they can use it for whatever they want. If I show up to use it for the intended purpose though how am I the only one at fault if they refuse to move and accept the chance of getting hit? That's ridiculous. We're not talking legal semantic BS here pal we're talking about a fair use of the park that everyone can live with. That's an equal compromise situation. If you want to fall on your sword everytime a pedestrian gets hit with a disc you go right ahead but don't you think that makes you somehow morally superior to your fellow disc golfers.

Watched a friend nail an elderly couple walking the path running parallel to the fairway. Couldnt really see it bc theres probably 5 ft of woods between the fairway and walkway. Heard the woman scream. Old guy picked up the disc and started stormin toward us. Sec we yelled sorry, he replied back it was cool and threw the disc back in the fairway.

So...I'll go stand in the middle of the tennis courts and take a steamy crap on the out of bounds line. The next tennis player who shows up after me and complains I can just run off and scream "bro, you have a sense of entitlement. Public park bro. I crap where I want"

You have obviously failed to see the sense of "entitlement" that the people using a disc golf basket for a trash basket seem to have. Oh mea culpa I so sorry I didn't know this was not for trash. Yeah right.

If anyone has played Kerieakes in BG, you know the situation. There's a jogging trail all throughout the course. None of the holes throw over the path, but it marks OB lines around many holes. On hole 12, an uphill hyzer, the path is probably the most dangerous due to a disc not hyzering like a player would want.

Anywho, we were playing in a weekly doubles group and we get to hole 12. It is common to throw with runners theoretically in danger because there are so many and it would take hours to play the course if you waited for the coast to be absolutely clear. So a guys throws a wraith and its looking a little deep, right as a female jogger with headphones is passing. (right to left in the picture). It looked as though it missed her, but as it crashed to the ground she grabbed her left ear as though she had been hit, but she kept on jogging. A very very close call.

Yeah, if someone is standing in front of you after you give them a friendly warning, and express to them the danger involved, they are probably intentionally being a stubborn a-hole. As much as I would like to take the high road, and skip the hole, I would really enjoy sending a high-speed drive into their mid-section. I doubt they would make that decision twice.

If anyone has played Kerieakes in BG, you know the situation. There's a jogging trail all throughout the course. None of the holes throw over the path, but it marks OB lines around many holes. On hole 12, an uphill hyzer, the path is probably the most dangerous due to a disc not hyzering like a player would want.

Anywho, we were playing in a weekly doubles group and we get to hole 12. It is common to throw with runners theoretically in danger because there are so many and it would take hours to play the course if you waited for the coast to be absolutely clear. So a guys throws a wraith and its looking a little deep, right as a female jogger with headphones is passing. (right to left in the picture). It looked as though it missed her, but as it crashed to the ground she grabbed her left ear as though she had been hit, but she kept on jogging. A very very close call.

That is just terrible course design. That hole needs to be altered.

I never said I have more of a right.....I said they can use it for whatever they want. If I show up to use it for the intended purpose though how am I the only one at fault if they refuse to move and accept the chance of getting hit? That's ridiculous. We're not talking legal semantic BS here pal we're talking about a fair use of the park that everyone can live with. That's an equal compromise situation. If you want to fall on your sword everytime a pedestrian gets hit with a disc you go right ahead but don't you think that makes you somehow morally superior to your fellow disc golfers.

If the course is a "designated" disc golf course, with signage and recognition from the parks dept that the intended use of that part of the park is for DG then the story changes. But most courses I have played in multi-use parks are not dedicated to DG, nor designated that way.

I'm not trying to paint with the wide brush, just pointing out that in the vast majority of cases in mutli-use parks, the burden of safety, as it relates to DG, will fall to the golfers, not the general public.

To Osmo's point about liability, I guarantee on a non-designated, non-signed course the liability for hitting someone will fall on the thrower, not the person who got hit.

You see a fairway. Joe Public only sees a park.

Status
Not open for further replies.