• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone highly offended by the term frolf?

I like to hear people say frolf because it is always an opportunity for a teaching moment.

While some people have shown in previous posts that frolf = disc golf, others have shown that frolf can also be a social activity that somewhat includes frisbees.

When I hear someone use the " f " word, I typically ask them if they know the difference. If they say yes and that they use an ultimate lid to play with their buddies, I will follow up and ask them if they are aware that professional disc golfers compete in national and world championship tournaments on an annual basis.

I think this is the best way to plant a seed in the mind of a potential disc golfer. If they ask follow up questions, I will usually hand out a disc or at least a mini.

Word of mouth is usually the best and cheapest form of advertisement.
Gotta spread the word somehow someway!!!!

Offended? No. Irritated, yes. It's such a stupid sounding world to begin with. Add in that we can't actually use the term Frisbee without paying Wham-O. As far as I know, only 4 entities can legally use the word: The Frisbie Pie Company, Wham-O, The Minnesota Frisbee Association and the New England Frisbee Association. Those last two got in under the wire before Wham-O got their copyright hardon.

I would say its annoying because it almost sounds demeaning. Like "we dont have to call it the entire name because its not like it matters to anybody"

Frolf suggest fris golf. I used to play a fris golf course and it had these 3 ft. concrete catchers that looked like trash cans. I don't know of any Fris golf courses in existence. DG took it's place and made them obsolete. The course I used to play now has disc catchers in the same spots as the concrete catchers. They say it's mostly ace runs, but not with a frisbee. If people think that I am throwing a light little frisbee, they wouldn't be weary of getting hit by my disc.

Meh. Stupid word, but guess I don't understand why everyone gets their undies in a bunch over it.

Frolf and Disc Golf are two different things.

From frolf.com:

Frolf, unlike Disc Golf, is a freeform amorphous game, played among friends in a social setting without the confines of a course laid out by professionals attempting to force conformity. The game is part of a positive social interaction, and does no harm to living creatures or property.

Rules change based on user preferences, weather, moving targets, crowds, time of day, random issues, and skill levels of the players, much like Calvinball (see Calvin and Hobbes). A first time player should be able to play with seasoned veterans and still have a great time, win many holes, and have a better than average shot at winning the game.

The spirit of the game is a friendly, non-competitive, socially interactive game. Violating the Spirit of the Game is not a penalty per se, but can be used when discussing whether a shot counted or not. It can be played anywhere at any time by anyone. Everyone and everything in the world is part of the game.

The Spirit of the Game is the only standing rule of the game. All else is up for discussion and negotiation by the players on the field.

frolf is target (hitting a tree) golf, Disc Golf is baskets...
a lot shorter than Zenbot's answer for the literacy impaired.

Frolf is when you say, "I bet I can hit that trash can from here"

Frolf is when your hippiness prevents you from playing disc golf because of all the rules, man.

I don't care for the word frolf either, but I'm curious as to why another thread from 2008 suddenly got a reply...what's going on today?

LOL It looks like Disc Dog is trying to relive some old memories because it looks like he is probably to one knocking the dust off of these old threads.

WOW who brought this thread back to life?

ME ME ME! Some times I get bored with the threads up there. So I search the olds for something that might still have some meat to chew on or just for fun like the superhero one I started up again.

1000th counted post.

ME ME ME! Some times I get bored with the threads up there. So I search the olds for something that might still have some meat to chew on or just for fun like the superhero one I started up again.

1000th counted post.

keep reading them. there are some pretty funny flame wars in them hills.;):popcorn: Oh, and lots of helpful information. You can be the official old thread bringer up guy.

Last edited:

1000th counted post.

I used to do that, but the 80 day limit took alot of the fun out of it. I once brought back a thread after 2 years of obscurity :)

Thread Necromancy +1

Some of the guys I shoot with still call em frisbees:)
and they will spank you with a stratus...and without shoes;)

Frolf is one of those words that shouldn't be spoken aloud. Like in olden times when they called things 'that which shall not be named' or 'the nameless one'.

saying frolf is great because sometimes there are people who take things to seriously and get super annoyed by it

Latest posts