• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone play ambidextrous?

demon102

Birdie Member
So during the warm season I end up playing a ton of discgolf I'm sure like a lot of you and sometimes play everyday. Well recently I hurt my shoulder driving, nothing major but it hurt for a couple of days as well as seeing posts on here about shoulder injuries and reading something on here about throwing with your non dominant arm and relearning you technique helps to refine your technique. I already did this for other sports like basketball and punching a heavy bag and seemed to give me an edge I otherwise wouldn't have had if I was just using my dominant arm. I'm curious if others have trained both arms to throw and to what extent and what advantages or disadvantages you've noticed.

I'm thinking of playing the rest of this season with just my left arm just to see what it can add to my game.

For some reason, I have met multiple people who throw weird combinations like RHBH/LHFH or LHBH/RHFH. Seems like whats the point

Off the top of my head I like this idea so I can rest an arm if I'm going out everyday like I do a lot when it gets hot. Another huge reason is that if I'm playing with people who are new or just suck at the game I don't wanna be throwing great meanwhile the other person can only make it a very short distance. I can see people getting discouraged when I'm throwing great and they just can't figure out how to throw the disc watsoever. Seems like reteaching myself how to throw again would help me teach friends too cuz I just suck at conveying how to throw properly.

edit: Oh ya also I seem to totally suck at side arming my mid range discs and most are pretty stable to understable and I just can't do sidearm very consistently with them. Using both arms will definitely help me with those discs.

Last edited:
I know a couple guys that are ambidextrous in disc golf but only two that are good at it. I think it comes to some people easier than others. If you can do it, I say go for it.

I bumped into a group a bit ago whose casual friends rule was that you got one free re-throw per hole, with the one condition it had to be with your non-dominate hand. all of them were pretty decent at upshots and driving it looked like to me. Of the four of them only one said it came pretty easy the other said it was difficult but fun at first and kept the rounds interesting and at some point things clicked and now they feel comfortable if the situation comes up to throw off-handed.

I can throw ambi backhands...my backhands are longer and more accurate than FH's. I can do touch shots either hand if i must. There was a definite learning curve and i'm still working on the LH, but it's good enough to be a reliable 300ft shot. To me the advantage is I have a solid replacement shot for FH. The advantage to me is I don't always have to anhyzer my shots or learn FH at distance. I can FH shorter shots under 150 with confidence but have trouble further out. Disadvantages are none really...I mean having new shots or lines all while using the same discs is an advantage IMO. Agreed that it comes to some easier...just like FH vs BH. I still strongly recommend working on FH though as many times i've had a lie that the best shot is a FH (because of follow-thru and release space).

I throw ambi backhand. I was in a cast for 17 weeks a couple years ago and taught myself how to throw LHBH. I also played baseball for 18 years so the legs and hips for a LHBH throw are already great form. Its just a matter of pulling the rest together and building some muscle memory.

I bumped into a group a bit ago whose casual friends rule was that you got one free re-throw per hole, with the one condition it had to be with your non-dominate hand. all of them were pretty decent at upshots and driving it looked like to me. Of the four of them only one said it came pretty easy the other said it was difficult but fun at first and kept the rounds interesting and at some point things clicked and now they feel comfortable if the situation comes up to throw off-handed.

what if the throw that they want to re-do was with their off hand originally?

One of the top Grandmasters in Texas will throw drives from either side, though I don't know what you call ambidextrous. He's primarily RHBH and will throw pretty much everything RHBH in the woods, but on any long right-turning hole or even when he needs a left-to-right S-shot, he'll drive very well left-handed.

Absolutely not.

But I'm trying to learn lefty backhand. So far it's a mix of horrendous and surprisingly terrible. Still fun.

It took a while. But I have playing for nearly a quarter of century-har.. har..

No, in all seriousness I can comfortable throw 300 plus lefty. I often upshot lefty during casual play rather than forehand.

Keep working on it! And yes it takes serious stress off your overworked dominant side!!!

I really wish I would throw more shots non dominant as it would help my old worn out right shoulder and knee.

If you look hard enough, there's video of Nikko doing the ambi rhbh or lhbh route before deciding on RH Forehands.

Phil arthur in his heydey smashed FAAR with both arms.

Chris Sprague is amother former 1000 rated ambidextrous

Latest posts