• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone who hasn't played in the snow?

Hellweg

Par Member
I haven't played in the snow all winter :/
So i am figuring my game won't be on once spring comes around.
In order to be ready for spring im gonna practice putt alot, and not bring any drivers except for an eagle, and TL.

What i want to know is, how do you get yourself back in the game when you havent played for a while?

For me the thing I lose first and that comes back last is my putting, so if you can work on that and keep that set of muscle memory fresh over the winter you'll do yourself a huge favor. When I start after time off I always try to get to a practice field before playing a round and spend lots of time working up from short shots with putters and mids before I go back into full strength drives. It's a good way to remind yourself of your form and make sure it's working while limbering up a little.

Don't get fatter. A huge gut could hamper your form!

But seriously, find a good winter activity, and try to improve your conditioning and flxibility. That will help you once you are back in the Spring. Running, hiking, weights, rowing, or anything else you can do will help. Even naked Twister with your wife, girlfriend or significant other can't hurt. Just do something fun and keep moving.

if i can make this basket that im workin on. then my putting shouldnt be too bad come spring. im gonna say my approaches will be rusty....throwin my an/hyzers straight shots when i want to and where i want to.

Ugh, its been butt cold and snowy here in the mountains for 2 months and the closest course that is still open is half an hour down the highway, wide open, and ALWAYS windy in the winter.

So no, no playing for me yet. But I did get a Mach Lite for Christmas and will be using it down in the heated parking garage to keep the putting up to snuff.

Never done the snow thing before, but me and some friends are planing on going up to one of our mountain courses to go play in the snow this year.

I play in the snow all the time as long as its sunny, 30+ degrees and/or no wind its really fun. Its nice to have the entire course to yourself with a fresh blanket of snow with no footprints but your own. A bit frustrating when you take your eye off the disc and it hides itself underneath the snow but it sure beats sitting inside all winter long.

I can't wait to get a round in while there's snow on the ground-it's a blast. I missed the last snowfall last week (it melted), but it snowed about 3-4" today, so hopefully it will stick around for a week when I have my next day off.

I play in the snow all the time as long as its sunny, 30+ degrees

This caught my eye. I found that the colder the weather, the easier the winter play (within reason). Temps in the 30s mean a lot of wet and sloppy snow sticking to discs. From the mid 20s and below, its dry snow and nothing sticks to the discs. If you've been staying in because its a bit chillier than normal, throw on an extra layer and give it a try. Its really a lot easier out there when the snow is dry, so to speak.

Nice mild winter here, snow-wise, in SE MI (knock wood). By the looks of the national weather scene, we've been lucky.

Joe

i live in michigan, and played several rounds a day all summer. End of septemeber ive plated 3 rounds since :( none in the snow. Im in florida right now tho visiting family, turns out there are two courses right outside of cocoa beach, so i took my dad out for the first time ever. That was cool, he had a good time. We plan to go play a couple more times this week, take my younger sister too. Oh yea my game was right on point too, i was doing everything i wanted to do, even had a drive hit 350. My putting game was suprisingly decent, i had some confidence. I have been exercising almost daily since i quit playing, some has to do with that probably. Anyway i didnt even bring my bag down, i just brought a few discs just in case. of course we end up playing, so im stuck out there with an elitez buzzz X reaper, which i had good control and distance of, and a tracker i ended up havin to give to my dad cause he lost my impact. buzzz was putting excellent, driving excellent, approaching excellent, suprising because all summer i used only flx buzzz n my crystal. shot +2 i think, ill def. shoot under next time i go out, it was fun out there with no pressure just trying fun shots. Plus the landscape is somethine else, playin with palm trees and palm bushes lol nothin like playin in michigan. Somethin different, not sure which one im more a fan of yet. really wish i had my bag, but w.e it was fun just goin out shootin discs with my dad. ill proly have to copp a couple new discs on my way out next time.

This caught my eye. I found that the colder the weather, the easier the winter play (within reason). Temps in the 30s mean a lot of wet and sloppy snow sticking to discs. From the mid 20s and below, its dry snow and nothing sticks to the discs. If you've been staying in because its a bit chillier than normal, throw on an extra layer and give it a try. Its really a lot easier out there when the snow is dry, so to speak.

Nice mild winter here, snow-wise, in SE MI (knock wood). By the looks of the national weather scene, we've been lucky.

Joe

Hasnt it been snowin/rainin/freezing in mich? that doesnt seem mild ;)
I cant disc in that, i like disc to be enjoyable.

Truth...was out on Christmas Eve day. 33 and sunny, calm winds, with 3-4 inchs of snow. Beautiful winter day, and I was very confortable, but I was wiping discs alot. It's less of an issue if it's overcast or 25. Dry snow can be knocked off.

Hasnt it been snowin/rainin/freezing in mich? that doesnt seem mild ;)
I cant disc in that, i like disc to be enjoyable.

To start, for many, any disc is more enjoyable than no disc. If you're not on board with that, than staying in is probably a good idea. If you bailed in September I'm thinking you made the right choice. But you will be missing out on some great golf if you only play seven or eight months of the year.

It has been raining, snowing, and freezing in MI. But at least in SE MI, not nearly as nasty this year as for folks in the East coast or farther out in the mid-West. Lots of big nasty storm systems moving through over the past several weeks but little impact here. Over in SW MI and up into the snow belt, its probably a different story, but those guys get used to it or move over here.

By this time last year, we'd been shoveling regularly for six weeks or so, getting clobbered by a fresh system just about each weekend. This year, its been only a few smaller snows, nothing too difficult to deal with.

So, yeah, it has been a mild year and we're hoping it stays this way. Looks cold and wet from inside, but there's plenty of good golf out there still.

I have and always will subscribe to the Ice Bowl phrase.........

ice_bowl_inset.png

........oh and "shut up and throw" works for me too. :D

Latest posts