• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Approach/Overstable mid recommendation

konza_kid

Birdie Member
I am looking for a smaller diameter approach disc that has a feel closer to a traditional mid. Basically I want to find something that can replace my zone and my drone. I don't like throwing the zone back hand and don't like traditional Overstable mids for forehand. Any brands/suggestions welcome.

Ones I've tried and ruled out
Zone
Harp
Ax3
Drone
Gator
Caiman

What don't you like about the Zone? Is it too deep?

Most overstable approach discs are very much like the Zone, so you probably won't like them either.

What don't you like about the Zone? Is it too deep?

Most overstable approach discs are very much like the Zone, so you probably won't like them either.

The zone just feels strange in my hand. I don't mind it in my bag, the drone and zone only get one or two shots a round, would like to replace the two with one disc that can do both.

Fully aware that disc might not exist and I'll keep going with what I got.

I don't typically bag an overstable mid but my preference is for the Axiom Pyro with the Legacy Recluse getting an honorable mention.

Quake/Pyro/Pursuit/Bobcat are all in-between diameters with 177-179g max weights

These are all 21" diameter, so maybe not much help.

I am pretty myopic in my use of this type of disc. It is mainly to get around obstacles and stop on a dime. It highly uncommon for me to thrown this type of disc for anything over 150 ft.

Suspect was in my bag for years. Then came along the Jarn, and kicked the Suspect back to the shelf. Each one of these I own is more over stable than any of the Suspects. I feel more comfortable with it for forehand upshots than a Suspect, partly because the rim is relatively tall.

I have a few Entropys and enjoyed them. That said, these came to me after the Jarn love affair started. More overstable than the Suspect, but less than the Jarn (IMHO).

Best of luck on the hunt.

Mainly the diameter and I felt like I didn't have touch with the forehand with it.

It's basically the same diameter as the harp, zone, aviarx3 and gator. It is a small diameter mid as you seem to be asking for.

Entropy is about as OS as a human could need (checkout Simon's most recent Vlog - I kept expecting him to say "Tilt" when he was describing the Entropy).

Mainly the diameter and I felt like I didn't have touch with the forehand with it.

This thread is giving me some ?? because I don't feel like I understand the question, but I feel like you have explained yourself.

The way I interpret it is that you want an approach-distance type disc that feels better in the hand on BH than a Zone--and it needs to be a smaller interior diameter disc--and also have a solid FH hand-shape & feel.

Pulling stats for the Zone.

Diameter: 21.10 cm
Height: 2.00 cm
Rim Depth: 1.30 cm
Rim Width: 1.20 cm
Max Weight: 173.00 g

Of the ones mentioned, I have thrown A2 and Entropy. Just based on feel, I think A2 has a better BH feel for me (I shuffled A2, Entropy, and Zone while blindfolded). Entropy is also fine but is closer to a Zone in the hand.

I'm sure you know but A2 is decidedly more OS than a Zone or Entropy, but is glidey "enough" to get midrange distances on the proper angle. It's probably the best FH disc of the lot.

Another candidate that I've thrown a couple of times is a Malta. I've heard good things, and the dimensions are in the ballpark.

One thing that I've noticed is that some bigger diameter discs, e.g., Pyro at 21.5cm vs Zone 21.1cm actually have a *smaller* interior diameter, that is, where the fingers go. I just measured these four discs, and found:

Interior/grip diameter

A2: ~185 cm
Pyro: ~190 cm
Entropy: ~190 cm
Zone: ~192/3 cm

I looked into the Silicon and Jarn and would guess that the Silicon might be too wide, but Jarn looks on-point. I'd definitely try that one, too.

i hardly ever use my gator (champ ring of gators) or even my FAF Champ firebird they are utility discs for specific purposes (spike hyzer, super flex, set distance hyzer with OB behind target, etc).

i actually kind of hate how the FB and gator feels in hand, but love how predictable/reliable the flight(s) are.

i did try to find discs that felt similar to what i like to throw, roc3, kc pro roc, but OS versions like the Buzzz OS, roc3x, etc but they would start out very OS but beat into normal-ish mids and confuse me and overlap with my other mids.

came to my realization that i didn't have to like how my utility discs feel in hand since i throw them so rarely. plus unique feeling of of a deep super board flat + bead champ ring of gators instinctively know how it's going to fly.

Latest posts