• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Approach/Overstable mid recommendation

Basically I want to find something that can replace my zone and my drone. I don't like throwing the zone back hand and don't like traditional Overstable mids for forehand.

based off of this information, I'd recommend an SP breaker. Won't be a good replacement for a drone though. A good in between for a zone and a drone would be a quake. The breaker is straighter than a zone and I find it to be much more workable forehand (ie don't have to throw it flat or anhyzer to get a good approach flight, and less skippy). The drone has flight characteristics of a zone but just faster. Also a bit straighter and less skippy than a drone, imo.

Quick update, I found a disc that fits what I wanted exactly, but does not fit within the criteria I laid out in my original post. Go figure. Played with my usual crew this weekend and borrowed a Kaxe from my buddies trunk, my forehand ups that I would have used the zone for, were closer than I usually get, and it is a fantastic Overstable backhand flier. Got two on the way.

Kaxe are great, which plastic was it?
K3 is a bit more OS than K1 which is a little more OS than K1soft.
I generally wanted an OS bookend to my kaxe when I was all Kasta (pre lots, so no jarn yet) but a fresh K3 was pretty darn good.
Jarn is another choice to try later if you find the kaxe too straight. More comfy backhand than a zone imo.

Kaxe are great, which plastic was it?
K3 is a bit more OS than K1 which is a little more OS than K1soft.
I generally wanted an OS bookend to my kaxe when I was all Kasta (pre lots, so no jarn yet) but a fresh K3 was pretty darn good.
Jarn is another choice to try later if you find the kaxe too straight. More comfy backhand than a zone imo.

It was K3, I ordered a K3 and a K1. Interesting to hear the K3 being more Overstable. I will see if I have the same experience, might start cycling them if that is the case.

It was K3, I ordered a K3 and a K1. Interesting to hear the K3 being more Overstable. I will see if I have the same experience, might start cycling them if that is the case.

I have a K3 and a K1 glow. Side by side they almost look like different discs with the K3 being very flat and the K1 being domey. My K3 seems more overstable (is that a thing?) but maybe it's just that it lacks glide. The K1 flies more like a Verdict or maybe a slower Teebird where the K3 did seem more like a Zone type disc with it's lack of glide.

Going off my poor memory, the K3 kind of flew 4/3/0/3 where the K1 is more 4/4/0/2 ish if that makes sense.

Rays experience is in line with mine. Sample size of 8 or 9 K3s and at least a dozen K1s. All over 3 years ago. I did have a 2021 glow that was decently stable, but glow is often less with Kasta.

K3 is flat and starts out the most overstable. It's a good baseline plastic (probably my favorite grip of any baseline plastic) but it doesn't take very long for K3 to become more understable than K1.

This does depend on the mold, though. I've hear K3 Järn never gets less stable.

Quick update, I found a disc that fits what I wanted exactly, but does not fit within the criteria I laid out in my original post. Go figure. Played with my usual crew this weekend and borrowed a Kaxe from my buddies trunk, my forehand ups that I would have used the zone for, were closer than I usually get, and it is a fantastic Overstable backhand flier. Got two on the way.

Great disc! This really makes sense, too.

I worked a K3 for a couple months as a staple disc. Really like the rim and the FH feel. Memory was that it was beef, but ... weirdly intuitive after a few throws. It wasn't gonna BS you. Kinda like a Gila, actually. Or a Pyro. It also really impressed me on hard angle anny flex lines--the lateral penetration.

Anyways, I only have experience with K3 but it was a baller disc. Hope it fits and you love it. It'd be great if you followed up in a few months, too, let us know how it played out. ;)

I worked a K3 for a couple months as a staple disc. Really like the rim and the FH feel. Memory was that it was beef, but ... weirdly intuitive after a few throws. It wasn't gonna BS you. Kinda like a Gila, actually. Or a Pyro. It also really impressed me on hard angle anny flex lines--the lateral penetration.

Anyways, I only have experience with K3 but it was a baller disc. Hope it fits and you love it. It'd be great if you followed up in a few months, too, let us know how it played out. ;)

K3 kaxe is much like an gila in flight but the kaxe is still just that touch faster. Most will prefer the kaxe FH, but the gila is probably the most comfy beaded mid FH. It doesn't fit the bill here though being larger diameter. Though fossil (and a lot of gateway base) is on the short list of base I will take over K3.

I do agree with the pyro comparison as well. K1 kaxe are closer to modern buzzz than they are gila or pyro though…

Have K3 hard Kaxe become a thing yet? With any regularity?

K3 kaxe is much like an gila in flight but the kaxe is still just that touch faster. Most will prefer the kaxe FH, but the gila is probably the most comfy beaded mid FH. It doesn't fit the bill here though being larger diameter. Though fossil (and a lot of gateway base) is on the short list of base I will take over K3.

I do agree with the pyro comparison as well. K1 kaxe are closer to modern buzzz than they are gila or pyro though…

Have K3 hard Kaxe become a thing yet? With any regularity?

Man have you tried a Glow Gila yet? Super flat and starts mad beefy. I've really liked it so far, like a base plastic Pyro.

Man have you tried a Glow Gila yet? Super flat and starts mad beefy. I've really liked it so far, like a base plastic Pyro.

The most recent run definately. Love that they are softer than fossil since most my glow is winter golf. I am bagging it in my day bag hoping to have a beat in gila for next winter. Currently I have a older flat run Armor (prefered FH gila, still pretty strong fade), the glow which is straightening out and a beat fossil which is just pure $. May put one of the older ambers in the bag for a bit for the OS end as the glow straightens out.

Fossil, tarpit and glow have been pretty beef to start (they are gila afterall), tarpit probably the straightest/fastest breaking in to start. Couldnt tell ya if the glow is more beefy than my fresh fossils (all older) since its sometimes hard to tell if its me or the disc at night in bundle clothes, it sure was beefy to start then.

Update: the Kaxe is nice but I had trouble dialing it in backhand on shorter hyzer approaches. Picked up a toro and it is actually super comfortable backhand. I find it has more glide and a half-tick more speed than the zone. I think this might be a keeper.

If you want to try another, gateway demon is good for this slot. Ignore the speed/rim size it feels more like an approach disc than a driver (more mid/approach feeling than the kaxe for sure). FH and BH is great for me. They aren't board flat (and when they have made flat ones they are not as OS), so that turns some people off. About as OS as a zone, but faster and a touch more glide. I am forgetting why I may have decided to not recommend it earlier in the thread.

Latest posts