• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Archer vs Arrow: The End of a Debate?

I agree with the first part. Second part no, I feel that Discraft as selected Paul to make a third line or a semi-separate line of discs from Discraft factories from Discraft called the McBeast line or something like that. These discs would be a line from Discraft factories the way Innova is with the Innova made discs for Discmania but in the same factory the way DGA is with Discraft.

i don't think they are going to be a separate line of discs. i think it will just be his new discs: Luna, Kong, Anax, and the midrange and other 5th disc he mentioned in the newest Johnny DG vid. plus others that may come in the future.

they have his name on them and he'll be getting a cut of sales, just like KC and McPro and other signature deals at Innova, probably just with a better percentage than he was getting before.

i don't think they are going to be a separate line of discs. i think it will just be his new discs: Luna, Kong, Anax, and the midrange and other 5th disc he mentioned in the newest Johnny DG vid. plus others that may come in the future.

they have his name on them and he'll be getting a cut of sales, just like KC and McPro and other signature deals at Innova, probably just with a better percentage than he was getting before.

Maybe, I was hoping this would be Discraft's attempt at a KC Line but with more input from Paul into the disc design since Paul seems to want specific discs rather then a Plastic line for his use. In that Johnny Disc Golf interview I post the link to it seems to be that Paul is in the factory designing discs for his line more involved in the process then with Innova and only being able to make requests for a specific disc or have them work with Paul only being able test to get a plastic type right.

i didn't get the impression from the interview that Paul is directly involved in disc design at discraft or that he's any more involved in the process than he was at innova. it seems like DC is just more receptive to his input. isn't Dave a notorious control freak? also, i've always laughed at the idea that a disc golfer would have dick to say about disc design. just because you're good at throwing a disc doesn't mean you understand how to make one. there's a big difference between telling the engineers "i want it to feel like this and fly like this" and designing the mold.

or maybe Paul will prove me wrong, he's already popped into this thread hasn't he?

Last edited:
From all the interviews and commentaries I've listen to him do, Paul seems like the hands on type of person who gets down to the small details. It wouldn't surprise me if he is learning the process or already has.

Last edited:
^Its one of the things that intrigued me when he was talking about maybe building a new course when he bought that land...

:popcorn:

^Its one of the things that intrigued me when he was talking about maybe building a new course when he bought that land...

:popcorn:

Every hole McBeth designs is Discraft baskets the Chainstar Pro every one his wife/girlfriend? designs is Innova baskets the Innova 28 chain Discatcher, or it Switches off baskets every other hole is one the other person designs. The course uses on the holes they design a type of tee pad design, size, and material they both can agree on. :)

...or maybe its a McBeth designed basket? and since, judging by the names of his disc line, he's into Greek myths/gods,...

The Charybdis championship level target... "Odysseus himself couldn't escape the clutching chains of this monster."

...OK that may have been a bit much, lol.:D

Last edited:
...or maybe its a McBeth designed basket? and since, judging by the names of his disc line, he's into Greek myths/gods,...

The Charybdis championship level target... "Odysseus himself couldn't escape the clutching chains of this monster."

...OK that may have been a bit much, lol.:D

Pretty sure in a interview last year he said his course will have the 18 baskets that he shot -18 at the GLO.

As to 'tweaking' molds, in one of her WITBs, Hannah Leatherman once said that she asked Innova to 'tweak' her Tour Series Star Terns to be more overstable than production Terns

that had everything to do with the workflow being tweaked, not the actual mold. they used a different plastic blend (swirly star, which wasn't really a thing before HL Terns) and cooled them differently to flatten and pull the wing up just slightly.

... there's a big difference between telling the engineers "i want it to feel like this and fly like this" and designing the mold.

Isn't telling engineers what the disc should be part of designing the mold?

I'm an application developer at a bank. I wouldn't build a loan processing system without the people who need it telling me what it should be. That planning is the hardest part of the process. Having someone who knows exactly what is needed is invaluable. And rare.

Isn't telling engineers what the disc should be part of designing the mold?

I'm an application developer at a bank. I wouldn't build a loan processing system without the people who need it telling me what it should be. That planning is the hardest part of the process. Having someone who knows exactly what is needed is invaluable. And rare.

i think somehow something got twisted cuz i never said that quote

Mold design is a very very complex and difficult process. People who do it for a living still always miss things and struggle at times to do it right. I build injection molds, trust me. The thought that some random joe could do it is both laughable and insulting to those who actually do it . Having a bit of input is one thing, but to call that "design" is wrong. At best you're an advisor.

*Please nobody let it out that I'm actually standing up for engineers.......*

Last edited:
Mold design is a very very complex and difficult process. People who do it for a living still always miss things and struggle at times to do it right. I build injection molds, trust me. The thought that some random joe could do it is both laughable and insulting to those who actually do it . Having a bit of input is one thing, but to call that "design" is wrong. At best you're an advisor.

*Please nobody let it out that I'm actually standing up for engineers.......*

if its so difficult why are there so many brands with clones of the ion and the volt well must be somewhat difficult cuz no one can properly clone one equal or better than the ion or volt

Good experiment. Keep the same archer, switch the arrows, note the improvement and prove it's the arrows. End of debate.

I would love to hear a statistician opine on how many archers would need to switch arrows before the results would be statistically significant.

My experience working with statisticians tells me that they would want a LOT of data. Certainly more than one player. Randomly assigned arrows, double-blind discs, etc.

Would be fun to watch . . . :D

Latest posts