• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Are Destrulcans back?

There is a little in the destroyer destroyers thread, but no real side by side pics of all the variations.

Edit: thats a good pic above

I got my first star destroyer a month or two ago and was worried that it was a destrulcan because of the "beveled" looking edge OP was talking about but it's really beefy and pop-top. I asked in the destroyer destroyers thread and a few people said the new ones were coming out this way a few months ago, but that they're a nice beefy destroyer.

So much assumption but no true facts. Here's to all the idiots who think there's vulcan and pd2 destro's.

"Except for removing the patent numbers, the Destroyer mold has not changed. We have never used a Vulcan or PD2 top to produce Destroyers. Differences in materials and molding are responsible for the different appearances. Our materials from the plastic manufacturers constantly change and we must work hard to minimize the differences with each run produced."

Dave Dunipace

INNOVA Champion Discs
[email protected]

Suuuure there's no difference.

Look at the markings where the patent numbers used to be. There are different patterns, indicating different molds being used.

So much assumption but no true facts. Here's to all the idiots who think there's vulcan and pd2 destro's.

"Except for removing the patent numbers, the Destroyer mold has not changed. We have never used a Vulcan or PD2 top to produce Destroyers. Differences in materials and molding are responsible for the different appearances. Our materials from the plastic manufacturers constantly change and we must work hard to minimize the differences with each run produced."

Dave Dunipace

INNOVA Champion Discs
[email protected]

What company wouldn't issue such a statement. Blanket statement to quiet all us dumb disc golfers. If you believe this as truth then I have all kinds of new stock CE to sell you. I have been throwing star Destroyers since 2008 and know the difference between cooling anomalies and plan ass Innova ball dropping.

i will say that it's probably a mix of both, further compounding the issue.

i have a white older-stamp avery destroyer that has patent numbers, marked as *ds . . . and the incline leading down to the edge is definitely similar to a vulcan-top, nothing like a normal destroyer...but not quite a vulcan top either. the top is flat and the PLH is higher too. quite overstable.

oreillycantexplain1.jpg

*shrug*

I've got one of the newer bottom stamped *DS with the beveled shoulder and it's a glideless meathook. I would have a hard time calling it a good destroyer like the old S/DS, it's more like a firebird.

But when It all comes down to it, the new runs of destroyers are still dam good. I got 5 Destroyers in my bag and only one of them is old. Still cant find a good replacement for the old *D destroyers Out of the Box. If I do you bet I would buy them dam things up.

But when It all comes down to it, the new runs of destroyers are still dam good. I got 5 Destroyers in my bag and only one of them is old. Still cant find a good replacement for the old *D destroyers Out of the Box. If I do you bet I would buy them dam things up.

Tried a Sword?

Dave Dunipace

INNOVA Champion Discs
[email protected]

Sure, Dave wouldn't lie to us to further his own interests. Of course not...:doh:

All Destroyers are good, in all seriousness I have yet to throw one that I couldnt use for SOMETHING. That being said some people just get all caught up in the hype. ESPECIALLY now that facebook is the new thing. Probably 3 months ago I went to INNOVA east and got 10 destroyers mostly 169ish pinks and light blues... They absolutely bomb. Just throw them.

All Destroyers are good, in all seriousness I have yet to throw one that I couldnt use for SOMETHING. That being said some people just get all caught up in the hype. ESPECIALLY now that facebook is the new thing. Probably 3 months ago I went to INNOVA east and got 10 destroyers mostly 169ish pinks and light blues... They absolutely bomb. Just throw them.
I second TPro that I have never thrown a destoryer with a useless flight pattern. I get one that super beef, I just mark it a my speed 12 firebird and move on.

Sure, Dave wouldn't lie to us to further his own interests. Of course not...:doh:

To be honest though, I have been told by reputable innova employees that the molding process and core piece used can be "adjusted" to give a more overstable or understable shape. The same top and bottom wing pieces are used so its the "same mold". I was told this when researching Anthon destroyers and why some of them were super overstable. I was told that they were intentionally going for very overstable with that run and lots of them came out the way they were intended.

In summary, with the core piece change to remove the patent numbers, we can never get exactly the same shape as the OG *D and SD runs. However, Innova seems to be able to tweak the process somewhat as I have still seen a variety of destroyers on shelves. Everything from pop tops to vulcan tops to mild dome to flatness. Getting the destroyer you want is still possible, Innova just isn't making it very easy.

Pop-Top Star Destroyers

Pop-Top destroyers are still happening, and from what I've been able to gather it has to do with the way some cool vs. others that leads to the hard bevel look that makes it a "Pop-Top".

I have all kinds of destroyers, and honestly the Star Pop-Top is my most coveted, but its not for their distance. I actually know where two more are at a local big box store and they'll probably be the next two discs I pick up if they are still there.

I've also had a domey uber overstable destroyer that was so 'overstable' it was of no real use to me.

The beauty of the Pop-Tops is that they will just start carving left off the tee on an RHBH. You can flex it (annhyzer it) to put some straight in to your chuck before it turns, or throw it harder for a wider arc. Either way, what you have at your disposal is a tree dodging monster. On heavily wooded courses I probably end up throwing my Pop-Top on at least 1/3 of the tees.

From what I've heard the Pop-Tops once seasoned will straighten out and will have excellent glide. At that point they will go from being your tree dodging monster to your long distance bomber. I never mind having another bomber in my bag, but I never want to be without an unseasoned Pop-Top again.

Pop-Top destroyers are still happening, and from what I've been able to gather it has to do with the way some cool vs. others that leads to the hard bevel look that makes it a "Pop-Top".

I have all kinds of destroyers, and honestly the Star Pop-Top is my most coveted, but its not for their distance. I actually know where two more are at a local big box store and they'll probably be the next two discs I pick up if they are still there.

I've also had a domey uber overstable destroyer that was so 'overstable' it was of no real use to me.

The beauty of the Pop-Tops is that they will just start carving left off the tee on an RHBH. You can flex it (annhyzer it) to put some straight in to your chuck before it turns, or throw it harder for a wider arc. Either way, what you have at your disposal is a tree dodging monster. On heavily wooded courses I probably end up throwing my Pop-Top on at least 1/3 of the tees.
From what I've heard the Pop-Tops once seasoned will straighten out and will have excellent glide. At that point they will go from being your tree dodging monster to your long distance bomber. I never mind having another bomber in my bag, but I never want to be without an unseasoned Pop-Top again.

What do you mean by heavily wooded?

What do you mean by heavily wooded?

I mean that there are lots of trees.

There are quite a few holes that I throw the Pop Top at this course (White River, Auburn Wa.), but most of the images are from their winter layout which is more open and excludes a bunch of the tight tree shots from the summer course.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/media.php?id=2005&mode=media#

SeaTac also has some tight drives but you would hardly know it from the selection of shots in the media section.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/media.php?id=6718&mode=media&view=hole&hole=15&page=1#

To be explicit, I use it on shots where there are obstructions in the near field, and I want to be left and up the fairway.

Latest posts