• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Discussion about brand support

I never play tournaments or league, play mostly with 2-3 other players or solo, so what I throw doesn't really influence many people. Started playing as an older guy in about 2015 and bought a ton of discs.:eek: Now when I buy, I am very much weight and color sensitive, and I do like to try to support my one local small guy that has a bike shop and stocks 40-50 discs or so. I follow mostly FPO and there are a few players that I like to buy their signature discs to show support. I am not specific brand loyal, throw what I do best with, and that has come down to mostly Latitude 64, River, Jade, Claymore, Dagger, and the one Innova disc that I throw a lot is the Mako 3. I have limited skills, and the fewer molds that I throw, the better.

I have had a number of hobbies and sports that I have enjoyed in my 70 some years on this earth, but none of them have given me the level of enjoyment that disc golf has. It's a ton of fun, and it is very good exercise, which is quite important to me.

Not to derail the thread and get it back on topic or anything, but I think there are a few factors when it comes to disc sponsorship that aren't necessarily relevant to most people on DGCR. Most of us on here have been playing since well before the pandemic and boom, and are obviously very invested in learning everything we can about the sport, and discs. We don't necessarily need a sponsored pro to show us new molds and see them thrown, a lot of us have researched them before they were even released, and talked about them ad nauseam.

But then there's that group who's just starting to play in the last few years. They've gotten bit by the bug and are now trying to find all the best discs for their bags and as the internet has evolved, they aren't looking on here much, they're on YouTube or Instagram or some other platform that has quick videos for getting better and learning new discs. Sponsored players who are active on social media and talk about their new discs coming out are going to boost some sales there. If they run into a "local pro" on the course, who's sponsored, they'll probably be impressed and will also take note and probably buy some of those discs as well.

Then there's the really big names in the sport who are always on the lead card coverage for those of us who are really into the sport and watch a lot of competition. We probably have our favorite pros, and when they talk about their new discs coming out, a good number of us are tempted, even if it's not a disc we usually throw. For instance, I don't need a Mind Bender, but every time I hear Simon Lizotte talk about how much he likes it, it's tempting.

And then there's those of us who have for whatever reason or the other, become somewhat brand loyal to one or two companies. We likely, due to that loyalty, are also going to buy sponsored players' discs because we want to support players from our preferred brand. Maybe we'll only do it if it fits out bag, but we're still more likely to experiment with a disc we haven't thrown if a sponsored player we like is throwing a brand we like. I was tempted with the Terra just because Conrad came out with it, even though I was perfectly happy with the Resistor in that spot. I felt one in the store and decided the feel wasn't for me, but I wouldn't have minded switching if it did feel better.

Anyway, point is, I think there's plenty of reasons that sponsored players make sense for companies of all sizes and why they help grow the sport. There's also plenty of reasons why a lot of us on this forum aren't swayed by sponsored players and that's ok too.

I used to have a mixed bag, but then I switched to MVP/Axiom. I still have a few discs that aren't that brand, but that is only because they are rarely used and I don't have a need to find a replacement. For me, I moved from a mixed bag when I realized MVP/Axiom made discs that really worked well with my forehand. The flatter the top, the better for my forehand. I had tried a Fireball, but I could not get that disc to work for me - so I had no interest in MVP/Axiom. Then I got gifted a Servo and wow did that disc perform for me. I started trying more MVP/Axiom and now my bag is almost fully that. Not because I want to be one-brand....but because they offer the best discs for my hands. I do keep an Innova GStar Tern in 139 weight, but that is because I rarely use it (it has to be little to no wind and I need more distance than my 9 speeds get). I also have a NSH Custom Discs Dwayne (3D printed), which I use for grenade shots and shots where I need the disc to slide (like from in a tree and need to get under low branches). I also carry a TrashPanda Inner Core that I'm trying out to see if it will fit a need.

I think the number 1 reason for brand-loyalty is caused by being new and starting off with what the local store carries and/or what your friends throw. Then you get used to that and stick with what works. If you play a tournament as an AM, you may get a player's pack, try out the disc(s) you get and find you like them....then one thing leads to another. But then there are the ones who just want to bag the discs their favorite pro uses because they think those discs will improve their game.

For no reason other than fun, I played a few rounds with an all Discraft bag.

Why? Just because.

I have quite a few Discraft molds that have come in and out of my bag over the years but not all at the same time. One day I was heading out to play with some of my normal crew and decided why not. Threw in a couple of Roaches, a Zone, a couple of Buzzes, two of my favorite Vultures, a Crank SS, and a Zeus and headed out.

Didn't really help or hurt my game so I just ran with that bag for a few rounds until I had time to put my normal stuff back in the bag.

Why? Just because.

I have quite a few Discraft molds that have come in and out of my bag over the years but not all at the same time. One day I was heading out to play with some of my normal crew and decided why not. Threw in a couple of Roaches, a Zone, a couple of Buzzes, two of my favorite Vultures, a Crank SS, and a Zeus and headed out.

Didn't really help or hurt my game so I just ran with that bag for a few rounds until I had time to put my normal stuff back in the bag.

I did something similar with Trilogy and MVP. Back in the day when MVP only had like 7-8 molds and there were like 6 Axiom discs, I did a comparison between an all Trilogy bag and an all MVP bag for the entire summer, switching back and forth. I pretty much shot the same scores overall. I ended up for the most part sticking with MVP discs due to consistency at the time and hand feel.

Why? Just because.

I started to do rounds like this recently since I have too many discs that I don't throw. I did a Westside bag one day that worked fairly well. Another day I did a Wild/Reptilian/Doomsday Discs bag since those are my favorite brands. I shot as well with this bag as my normal bag at this particular course. It is fun to switch it up every once in awhile.