• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Discussion about brand support

I'm curious what brands make the best quality parts in your opinion?

Personally, I'm a fan of the MVP family. Over molding is not always an easy task to pull off.

Some of the Lat64 stuff I've fondled was pretty nice too, but I very much prefer to buy things made stateside if given the chance. Especially something made In the Midwest, where I call home.

Idk where the others fall really, other than I know I'm the absolute least impressed with Innova.

I'm lucky because some of the local brick and mortars carry some of the smaller brands. I know I can easily pick up RPM, Thought Space, Gateway, DGA, Mint, Reptilian Disc Golf, Millennium, Legacy, Clash, and probably several other brands locally in addition to the usual Innova, Discraft, and Trilogy stuff.

There was a place really close to where I lived in Michigan that was the same way. I used to buy my RPM from there among others. Recently (part of the genesis of this discussion), I started throwing mostly Innova so I know I can find them wherever I go, new or used. The brick and mortar near me now is a great place to get discs, but it's Innova, Discraft, Gyro family, Trilogy, Discmania, and Kastaplast. And they have an impressive selection of plastic and molds.

Personally, I'm a fan of the MVP family. Over molding is not always an easy task to pull off.

Some of the Lat64 stuff I've fondled was pretty nice too, but I very much prefer to buy things made stateside if given the chance. Especially something made In the Midwest, where I call home.

Idk where the others fall really, other than I know I'm the absolute least impressed with Innova.

I sometimes get grumpy with the amount of product spam and product overload from so many new brands and repetition with molds (looking at you, P2 clones....) and all of that. But it's kind of the beauty of this game– many different strokes for many different folks. If you don't love one mold, chances are there's a similar one in a plastic you like more or a hand feel you like more. I 100% get why folks are unimpressed with Innova and why others really like them. I fall somewhere in between, but I get it.

It's a funny thing… Leo Fender made amps and guitars. The very old ones are the most valuable and sought after. Do you know what parts he used? The cheapest/only parts he could find. Turns out that music cut its teeth on the absolute cheapest parts and speakers that could be available. You know what? Now that's a sought after classic sound, when all along old Leo just wanted to make money.

I'd wager Innova and Fender have some commonalities.

Likely the closest sport to disc golf is probably Nascar.

If Billy Jo Jimbob is putting his Chevrolet in the winner's circle then people are going to buy Chevrolets.

If Billy Jo starts driving for Ford after many successful seasons with Chevrolet then that puts a spotlight on Ford and their products.

I'm waiting for the day when I watch disc golf and the shirts are totally covered with sponsors. When players are plastered with ads like a race car that's when you'll know the sport has really grown.

I hate Bill Jo Jimbob...ill never drive his cars.

People naturally form bonds or hesitation toward brands for a variety of reasons. It's why marketing is such a big deal in today's digital world. I started with Innova because that is all my local PIAS had, and I didn't really know any different. Then I moved and the local PIAS also had discraft. I was intrigued and tried a buzz and starting throwing a mixed bag. Mostly discraft with some innova sprinkled in. I think next was Gateway with the Wizard. For a while that is where I remained until I discovered MVP. At about the time of discovering MVP I was really getting hacked off with discraft and innova. I'd loose my trusty avenger that had such sweet flight and go buy a new one that was more OS than my predators. I'd decide that my teebird was beat in enough to warrant a new one and get one that was either more OS than normal teebirds or the same stability as my beat teebird.

It was frustrating because almost every time I went to replace or back up a disc it was just completely different. I started buying a few MVP molds here and there and they were flying pretty close to their rated numbers. Over the course of time I lost a few, replaced a few, bought backups and was truly impressed at the consistency. Now we know, of course, certain molds have been re-tooled so that those PP volts fly different from the current runs, or the first craves were butter and the new ones are slightly different. But outside of those explainable differences, the consistency has been better. Not perfect, but for me better.

There was a time where I wanted to revisit discraft but as others have said, this 'super special run' sort of limited release that forces you to buy discs when you see them for risk they will be off the shelf is frustrating to me. I know why they, and other mfgs, take that path I just don't like it very much.

I don't like prodigy for a multitude of reasons. Disc consistency is some of the worse. They have now had exported mfg to china for a lot of molds. They have ripped off the pound design. The flashing is horrendous and that is being generous. I don't like their origin story, it's shady. But all that said, they do have some very sweet molds that I have really enjoyed (A2, D2, F1, F5, M4). Their plastic blends are extremely nice too.

Dynamic/Lat64/westside/discmania I have tried a limited amount of stuff. I try to buy stuff that supports American manufacturers when I can but I have loved a lot of the things that have come from the European manufacturers. The pures have been some of my favorite putting putters.

Now I am somewhat in between things, I still predominantly throw MVP. I like barsby eagles, gateway wizards, and the harp. But if i was forced to I could switch that. I really want to try the Clash Salt soon.

I like the MVP?Axoim/Streamline family most as it's what I am most comfortable with and used to. But I am certainly open to trying other stuff out. Although I have spent enough in the last 2 years so I really am trying to curb the habit of trying new stuff. I have loved everything I have tried from Mint, TSA, and lonestar.

I know that this is news to almost no one, but reading that post reminded me that I had a similar arc in finding consistency in my discs when I started.

I dont find any DG brands to be particularly consistent, but there are strategies to find what you're looking for, and one of the best is comparing PLH.

For anyone unfamiliar, Parting Line Height is the magic indicator of stability across the same disc mold.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13889

If there's a disc you like and you want a new one, take it to the store with you and find a flat surface. Yes, you will seem OCD, but you'll probably also find the disc you're looking for.

My other advice if you really want to replicate your success with a disc is - learn your runs and how to find more of them.

No brand has been perfectly 1:1 after enough time passes between mold runs IME.

My other advice if you really want to replicate your success with a disc is - learn your runs and how to find more of them.

Honestly this is a really good piece of advice if I could just stop being tempted by new stuff out there :wall: I think I am nearly there, just one or two more slots I am toying with at the moment.

Disc golf used to be really small and personal. I threw Lightning molds because I knew Steve Howle. I threw Millennium molds because I met John Houck and talked to him every year ordering World's Biggest stuff. You would order custom stamped discs and talk to Tim Selinske and Gail McColl on the phone. You would be trying to get a course installed and talk to Ed Headrick on the phone. So if you were inclined back then, you could be trying to decide if you wanted to throw a Cyclone or Cheetah and think "Tim was pretty short with me when he told me he wasn't going to sponsor my events and never call him again, but Gail was really nice when she told me she wasn't going to sponsor my events and never call her again, so I'm going to throw a Cyclone." :|

That was a long time ago.

The only company that I buy discs from specifically because I want to support that brand is Reptilian. Jamie is a good dude, and he makes some discs that fit my bag, so there you go. I might try Mint Discs at some point; I think people who used to post on DGR are involved there so they can have my money. You can still get that personal connection with the boutique brands.

Innova, Discraft, the Trilogy brands...eh, they are businesses. I don't have any personal connection to any of them; they either make a disc I want to throw or they don't.

At this point, I'm only loyal to the discs that I have. There are enough backups in the collection that I don't need to buy any more plastic.

QFT

I do want to try that new RDG fairway...

I am not loyal to any particular corporation, but I buy my discs from manufacturers that offer:

1. Drivers in the 150 to 160 gram range
2. Colors that I can find in the undergrowth
3. Availability when I need backups; and
4. Some measure of consistency between runs

Currently using discs from four different manufacturers in a 9- to 11-disc bag.

At this point, I'm only loyal to the discs that I have. There are enough backups in the collection that I don't need to buy any more plastic.

Same, except I do buy new discs to try out from time to time, but they never actually replace the classic molds I have 10-15+ backups for.

I am loyal to quality of production (MVP), and steer clear of scummy manufacturers that charge you extra if you want to buy a disc with no flashing (Latitude 64).

...charge you extra if you want to buy a disc with no flashing (Latitude 64).

Wait, they really do that?

(Haven't purchased a Lat64 disc in over 5 years, nor do I read their threads here)

With some molds I'd pay a dollar more to leave some flashing lol. Those old champ XCals with the bottom flash were beefy AF.

Latest posts