• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Are Speed 7 Discs Necessary?

I have also found less use for mids now a days. Where I was once throwing a mid as hard as possible, I am now throwing a leopard or teebird at 75-80% power, or flicking an eagle or teebird. And a lot of my shorter approaches I now throw a putter.

I went through a period where I could approach 90% of the time with a putter, due to throwing farther combined with the lack of par 4's in my area, and ended up completely losing touch with my mids. Then, when I really needed one, I was very inconsistent.

Then I remembered a 9 hole 'mini' course that I cut my teeth on and started going once or twice a month until I got my mid range game back on track. Now, if it's not a bag tag round (I don't do tourneys yet), I'll throw mids on most anything I can't reach from the tee and sometimes even get two mid shots out of one hole.... just to stay in touch with them.

So, this might seem harsh, but I realized something.

I think that speed 7 discs are necessary for people who throw speed 12 stuff 450+ feet. If you don't, it's likely that you don't see enough differentiation between mids and fairways, so it doesn't make sense. Personally, my 5 to 7 to 10 to 12 distance gap is enough where they're necessary for me. For someone who throws noticeably shorter, it's probably less necessary.

People want to see distance gaps between speeds, so they throw the discs necessary to achieve that.

^^
You hit the nail on the head there my friend.

I will go a step further and say that most rec players get less average distance, after subtracting for errant throws and earlier fade, at a given speed and up. Yet, most still carry and throw them.

I often wonder if I should carry both speed 7 and 10 discs in my bag. Teebirds and PDs? FD Jackal and Escape or Hatchet?

The distances are very close to each other (at my Rec division 350' power) but the speed 9/10s consistently beat out the 7s by 30' or so on average. I usually pick the disc based on two factors, the exact distance I need and the exact line.

I think Steinkecm nailed it though. If I had more power, I'd probably notice more distance difference between the discs and have more of a need for both.

I often wonder if I should carry both speed 7 and 10 discs in my bag. Teebirds and PDs? FD Jackal and Escape or Hatchet?

The distances are very close to each other (at my Rec division 350' power) but the speed 9/10s consistently beat out the 7s by 30' or so on average. I usually pick the disc based on two factors, the exact distance I need and the exact line.

I see about 15' of average distance increase per speed when compaing same stability discs.

However, as I increase in speeds above 8, and especially as I approach the end of my spectrum (speed 11), that average distance consists of wider ranges. For instance, I get an average of 300' with a speed 5 ranging from 290-310' (20' range) but with a speed 11, average 390' via 370-410' (40' range).

This is why I only carry 2 speed 11's, 1 speed 9, and one speed 8 unless there's heavy wind. Then, I'll add a stable speed 13 or an overstable speed 12, depending on average hole lengths for the course.

I have no problem admiting when I get to speeds that become a crap-shoot for me.

This is a very interesting thread.

As a new player still trying to figure out my disc choices, I've noticed that I don't really have a need for "standard" mids. This may be similar to the OP's initial concerns - since I can't throw past 300' yet, and I can throw my putters as far as my midranges (or further!), I don't really see a need for straight to slightly overstable mids. When I move up to my speed 7 disc (MVP Servo), that's when I see a noticeable (and usable) difference in range. At this point, I'd rather obtain some utility midranges for shots I can't quite get with my putter or fairway driver.

I think many players would be better off just sticking to stuff under speed 10. I had never strayed too far from my speed 9 discs until I decided to try out some warp speed stuff for "mad distance" (katana, tern, bolt), and found myself sorely disappointed with the results. I couldn't throw them consistently and got the same (if not more) distance throwing my Valks, and on a very consistent basis. I just get the slower stuff up to speed better. I throw the Gazelle as my main fairway and love the results. I find it crazy when some people consider a speed 9 disc a "fairway driver"

Last edited:
Well Innova just released G Star Banshees on the Factory Store so there is obviously SOME demand for speed 7 discs haha.

I don't think I could power down my control trio (Motion/OLF/Volt) for the shots I use fairway drivers for. I do use my Teebirds and Patriot for a lot of shots, though. I find I use them a lot more in tourney play because I'd rather be short but accurate....though my control drivers (speed 9) are indeed quite accurate.

Guess I'm just more comfortable throwing fairways...maybe it's the rim size?

I would be absolutely lost without my Rival. I have recently lost/ left on the course my Patriot and 2 Escapes, and haven't had too many issues making due with what molds I have left, but wouldn't even play without a Rival/ TeeBird style disc. Have to have a way to throw Roc shots lower, or fight a mild L to R wind. Get so much more distance out of my Rival with basically the same effort as a Roc, on lower lines. All the control and most of the distance. :)

Im the opposite I find great use in my speed 7's (teebirds). I feel like I have no use for innova speed 9 drivers other than my firebirds which are more like fairway drivers and my sidewinder which is pretty much my roller disc.

I find most of my drives coming with speed 7's now. I can get my Rivals out to about 330ish and my Patriots out to about 350 and that's about all you need around here.

^^
You hit the nail on the head there my friend.

I will go a step further and say that most rec players get less average distance, after subtracting for errant throws and earlier fade, at a given speed and up. Yet, most still carry and throw them.

If I don't carry and throw them, I'll never learn them. (Don't mention the "P" word please.)

And I'm the opposite, I jump from rocs to PDs since I feel like the PDs power down to cover anything longer than a roc shot for my game.

I could easily be that way if I hadn't been throwing Eagles for so long. The S-curve flights just fit my style better for ranging than super straight flyers like PDs for some reason. I think my bag is a bit specialized for tight woods; the smaller diameter mids are a nice balance between sneaking through the trees/lower ceilings and not giving you as vicious a kick when you do hit the trees. My approach game is weird too, I use a Polecat and a Breaker for most of my mid-range stuff.

Latest posts