• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Are Tourneys Fun?

Do you enjoy tourney play?

• Yes

Votes: 214 72.5%
  • No

Votes: 52 17.6%
  • Haven't played in a tourney yet

Votes: 29 9.8%

• Total voters
I enjoy the tournament atmosphere with a large group of people focused on disc golf without bowl holes and speakers playing music I don't enjoy. I also sell & trade discs from my car, so that's a plus too.

When playing I'm trying to do the best I can; more in competition with the course and my personal best, though aware of the other scores on my card.

If you haven't done a competitive doubles tournament you're missing out. I was surprised how fast the rounds went.

If I'm going to be playing only one tournament a year, I make sure its the local unsanctioned doubles tournament. The rounds are not fast, typically exceeding 4 hours per. I guess that happens when you pack 150 people (75 teams), onto a 24 hole course. I've always had a lot of fun, but maybe I've just been lucky with my pairings. Singles tournaments can be fun too, but there are alot of variables which influence the fun factor.

A tournament 5-hour rounds, 1 per day, just sold out (165 players) in 7 minutes.

Never underestimate males' need for penis measuring through competition and do not confuse this for recreation. :|

I like tournaments, and don't mind the slower pace of play (as a change of pace from casual rounds). I enjoy locking in on shots, trying to find that next level of focus, and I enjoy being around like-minded people for a day. For me, it's an escape, as well as an opportunity to get the competitive juices flowing.

Now if I could only pull my head out of my ass and actually play well on a halfway consistent basis, it would be even that much better.

I really enjoy tournament play. Its a great way to meet new players in an area and I enjoy the competition. I rarely have any problems with anyone on my cards, though stuff comes up occasionally. Tournament play is where its at, its what all the casual rounds are preparation for.

Haven't played in a Tourny yet, but I am very excited too. I played disc golf a few times over the years. But it wasn't until I worked at a booth at a tournament our store was sponsoring that I really got the desire to learn. Very excited to come back an play in that Tourny next summer.

I do them more for the rating than the expectation of winning anything. It's a good way to make DG friends too.

Last edited:
The amount of fun you can have at a disc golf tourney is directly related to the value of your time. As life has progressed I have become increasingly unwilling to watch pseudo professionals line up 20' putts for minutes on end while the rounds tick tock towards 4 hours. Voted "Not Fun" purely because of the ridiculous amount of time tourney rounds take.

I also find it not fun when hordes of unemployed 20 somethings living with their moms say that "maybe tournament disc golf just isn't for you if you can't dedicate your time" after arriving 30 minutes late for each and every rec round you try to play with them.

Can someone explain why the pace of tourney play is so slow to someone who has never played in a tournament (me)? Is it just that people are agonizing over each and every shot? Does it have something to do with how and when you can approach or throw your disc?

Personally, I have no desire to play in a tournament. I get my competition fix elsewhere, and disc golf is strictly for fun. I follow all the rules and do my best, but I get enjoyment out of throwing discs and making shots, not winning.

Can someone explain why the pace of tourney play is so slow to someone who has never played in a tournament (me)? Is it just that people are agonizing over each and every shot? Does it have something to do with how and when you can approach or throw your disc?

Personally, I have no desire to play in a tournament. I get my competition fix elsewhere, and disc golf is strictly for fun. I follow all the rules and do my best, but I get enjoyment out of throwing discs and making shots, not winning.

Imagine if your course had a group of 4 or 5 on every tee pad when you went there for a round. That's why it takes so long.

"show me on the advanced men's trophy where real sports hurt you"

Real sports? Your average tourney has all the fun of fast forwarding to the freethrow fest of a tight basketball game.

Latest posts