• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Arizona Courses

I'm sorry to hear that. I read somewhere on here that your back has been bothering you. There's nothing worse than a back injury. Hope it gets better sooner than later. Not something you can rush though. I did list you as the player I'd want to play from DGCR, but besides your credentials and demeanor it is your moniker that drove that desire. I'm a sucker for things having to do with hammers. Here's to feeling better.

I'm sorry to hear that. I read somewhere on here that your back has been bothering you. There's nothing worse than a back injury. Hope it gets better sooner than later. Not something you can rush though. I did list you as the player I'd want to play from DGCR, but besides your credentials and demeanor it is your moniker that drove that desire. I'm a sucker for things having to do with hammers. Here's to feeling better.

Yeah, it's been a real drag. My parents are looking to buy a home in Prescott for their retirement, so it looks like I'll be spending some time up there. Perhaps, we can meet up for a couple rounds, and you can show me your stomping grounds. I've live in Arizona for 28 years, and never been to Prescott, though I've always wanted to.

The Hammer nickname evolved from "The Grammar Hammer" which my wife's friend started calling me when I would correct her grammar and spelling just to annoy her. Not nearly as cool a story as I would have liked.

You'll definitely be a big fish in a small pond upon arrival in Prescott Hammer...and I like the anecdote, despite it not being 'metal'. Still didn't get to play RMN or Fiesta Lakes...settled for Buffalo Ridge and a few holes at Conocido. Had my personal best at the Ridge though. There was some kind of tourney going on possibly and I got sandwiched between two groups of 5.

Has anyone been playing lately? I just got back from California and I wasn't accustomed to the amount of grass and trees the parks have there.

BIG NEWS FOR MARANA ROCK DG. We will be installing a permanent flooded layout. This awsome course floods every year and leaves only a few holes playable. Im not sure how many holes will be moved/created but it should be at least 9 new holes in areas that dont get flooded.

If anyone can help we will be working at the course on 7/23/2013 (tomoro).

Iam hoping to have a general map of the new layout tomoro and i will try and post pics!

Played Marana last weekend. Liked it. Ill post a review. make long pins/tees permanent on 1 and 2. Those are odd holes. I would suggest some varied distances too...after the first few holes I felt like I was just bombing it hole after hole, having to throw 400+ to have a putt at birdie. It got a bit repetitive. I know many were under 400' buy they were hyzers or up on hills; this made the distance you have to throw over 400'. Maybe lengthening some holes to par 4 or shortening to par 3 would raise the rating of the course a little. My dad felt the same way. I'm a decent golfer, and I thought many of the holes were out of range to play reasonably. I bet it is wild, when under water.

I felt the course was better than the DGCR rating though. I've played 130 in 29 states and I rate it in the 4 disc range.

Better direction from 7 to 8 would be good. I guessed what you did there, because of the flooding, but it wasnt very easy to walk that far and not feel like you were going the wrong direction. 10-12 permanent next tee directionals would really help the course.

Played Marana last weekend. Liked it. Ill post a review. make long pins/tees permanent on 1 and 2. Those are odd holes. I would suggest some varied distances too...after the first few holes I felt like I was just bombing it hole after hole, having to throw 400+ to have a putt at birdie. It got a bit repetitive. I know many were under 400' buy they were hyzers or up on hills; this made the distance you have to throw over 400'. Maybe lengthening some holes to par 4 or shortening to par 3 would raise the rating of the course a little. My dad felt the same way. I'm a decent golfer, and I thought many of the holes were out of range to play reasonably. I bet it is wild, when under water.

I felt the course was better than the DGCR rating though. I've played 130 in 29 states and I rate it in the 4 disc range.

Better direction from 7 to 8 would be good. I guessed what you did there, because of the flooding, but it wasnt very easy to walk that far and not feel like you were going the wrong direction. 10-12 permanent next tee directionals would really help the course.

It is a long course but in defense of that we have a few other courses that are pitch and putt, so this is a competition level course. Also if you think about it, its the desert, so the only way for you to force someone to throw a "LINE" is to make the distances longer so u actually have to shape a shot. Also alot of these holes give u several options, you can throw a tight line or try and throw over everything(which u can do at almost every desert course), that will make the distance u have to throw vary greatly.
As for the "par" of the course, bottom line is "least amount of throws to complete the course". Get your par 3 on the big ones and make a good shot on the short ones.
We are working on the directional signs. We have had a few problems with people vanadalizing our tee signs so we will get something in there. You can always take a pic of the course map at the 1st tee with your phone as well.
We do have a little gem with this course. It has alot of vegetation being so far south in AZ.
If your looking for a shorter course we have Santa Cruz and Groves, but they are nowhere near as scenic. Also i feel like the difficulty that Marana Rock has makes it more worth it for ppl to travel.
Also with the distance of the holes we are able to use the whole peice of land, and land like this is almost impossible to find down south here.

thx for the input

Last edited:
I'm not sure you quite understood his point. It's not just that long holes are an issue, it's that you should think about how certain lengths help or hurt scoring spread. I'm guessing that's why he suggested shortening or lengthening some of the shots. A hole where nobody can reach it for 2 but there's not enough length to force many bogeys either is a boring hole, it's not exciting when almost everybody cards the same score. Lengthening it enough that it's a true 2 shot hole or shortening it so that you increase the chance of birdies are both options that make it more exciting.

I'm not sure you quite understood his point. It's not just that long holes are an issue, it's that you should think about how certain lengths help or hurt scoring spread. I'm guessing that's why he suggested shortening or lengthening some of the shots. A hole where nobody can reach it for 2 but there's not enough length to force many bogeys either is a boring hole, it's not exciting when almost everybody cards the same score. Lengthening it enough that it's a true 2 shot hole or shortening it so that you increase the chance of birdies are both options that make it more exciting.

That is understandable and there could be a little more variation there. However, for competition level play these same holes do produce a good scoring spread because a lot of the players can reach them for two in competition. As a rec level course the scoring spread on those holes may not be great, but in the AM1 and Open divisions there is a lot of movement on the longer stretches of the course.

That is understandable and there could be a little more variation there. However, for competition level play these same holes do produce a good scoring spread because a lot of the players can reach them for two in competition. As a rec level course the scoring spread on those holes may not be great, but in the AM1 and Open divisions there is a lot of movement on the longer stretches of the course.

I couldnt of said it any better thx bro. Also keep in mind these holes have lots of airspace and are not wooded. These are the holes distances when all pins are in the long positions. 10 holes have shorter pin placements.

200ft-300ft = 5 holes
300ft-400ft = 6 holes
400ft-450ft = 4 holes
500ft-550ft = 2 holes
800ft+ = 1 hole

I couldnt of said it any better thx bro. Also keep in mind these holes have lots of airspace and are not wooded. These are the holes distances when all pins are in the long positions. 10 holes have shorter pin placements.

200ft-300ft = 5 holes
300ft-400ft = 6 holes
400ft-450ft = 4 holes
500ft-550ft = 2 holes
800ft+ = 1 hole

I totally recognize the uniqueness of the course. I thought it was great, however, it is not perfect. As a designer and builder of courses, I understand the feeling when people comment on your course. If no changes were made, I loved this course, and would recommend it to anyone. Take the comments with an open mind.

The above distances dont represent, from what I saw, the actual concete tee pads for holes 2 and 3. The were under 200 feet from the pin, I think, or close to 200'. I noticed flags there that pushed the holes longer.

There are 10 holes in the middle 300-400, 400-450. Like I said, a 340' hole where the basket is 40 feet up on a ridge plays like a 425' hole. There were 3-5 of these from what I remember. So effective distance of the holes is actually more like 2-3 in the 300-400 range and 8-9 400' par 3s.

Also, yes you can say that on a 330' hole, you give a straight line gap... however the trouble is 100' from the tee. If you mess up you are 230' away from the pin. The best shot will ALWAYS be the 380-400' hyzer up and around the trouble. If you come up short, you are still only 100' from the basket, not 230'. If on those holes, you play for the straight shot, you are not the skill level (choice making) that hole length is designed for. It is Arizona, but there are plenty of trees on that course that can be utilized to interfere with shots 50' from the pin. In those cases an accurate throw is more important than a LONG throw. That creates challenge for more players. I know a number of 1000-1010 rated players that cannot throw 400', they simply cannot score well (I dont care what par is) compared to the field on 50% of the holes at Marana.

Attention was given here to frame holes with the trees but not drive lines. So baskets were typically in front of a horseshoe of trees in a wide open area. The putting greens were excellent, however, if the basket was behind or beside these trees, you would force the player to make a decision. You can still limb up trees so you can see baskets from the tee. Just a design style to "think" about when you create your new 8-9 holes. It is clear the design style of the course. It is pretty consistent throughout.

Im a 990 rated "am" (putting keeps me below 1000) so I am right in the target area you mention for the course. While I can throw up to 450' those throws are wildly inconsistent...so I consider myself a 400' or less thrower.

Championship level doesnt mean long. There were only 2-3 holes like this on 14 courses 2012 Pro/Am Worlds. (Bradford short #2, Kilborne16?) 400-450' par 3's. None at Winthrop. Long and championship level dont go hand in hand always.

ANyways great job on the course. Litter was minimal except the edges of the lake from the run off and everything looked great.

The separation is only from length though. The long player can launch it with little to no risk (because of the AZ terrain and possibly get a 2. The shorter player will never get a 2 no matter how skilled he is. It is similar to the Tobaggan at Am Nats. 5-6 holes are just not reachable for many players. Birdies or mistakes on the remaining 12 are disproportionately more important. For most players it is just par or bogey, and you play the hole that way, never attempting the 2 shot.

Sure, a long hole or 2 recognizes the ability of the longer thrower and they get their chance to score there like a technical player would on tighter holes. The only problem is that a long thrower can get lucky on a technical hole because it is within their range. The shorter thrower just cant get there. If a course is all technical, you get Avery'd. If it is too long you get Will'd. Somewhere in the middle is appropriate. It is an unfair course design to tailer 50% of a course to players that throw 400+ and call that scoring separation.

I totally recognize the uniqueness of the course. I thought it was great, however, it is not perfect. As a designer and builder of courses, I understand the feeling when people comment on your course. If no changes were made, I loved this course, and would recommend it to anyone. Take the comments with an open mind.

The above distances dont represent, from what I saw, the actual concete tee pads for holes 2 and 3. The were under 200 feet from the pin, I think, or close to 200'. I noticed flags there that pushed the holes longer.

There are 10 holes in the middle 300-400, 400-450. Like I said, a 340' hole where the basket is 40 feet up on a ridge plays like a 425' hole. There were 3-5 of these from what I remember. So effective distance of the holes is actually more like 2-3 in the 300-400 range and 8-9 400' par 3s.

Also, yes you can say that on a 330' hole, you give a straight line gap... however the trouble is 100' from the tee. If you mess up you are 230' away from the pin. The best shot will ALWAYS be the 380-400' hyzer up and around the trouble. If you come up short, you are still only 100' from the basket, not 230'. If on those holes, you play for the straight shot, you are not the skill level (choice making) that hole length is designed for. It is Arizona, but there are plenty of trees on that course that can be utilized to interfere with shots 50' from the pin. In those cases an accurate throw is more important than a LONG throw. That creates challenge for more players. I know a number of 1000-1010 rated players that cannot throw 400', they simply cannot score well (I dont care what par is) compared to the field on 50% of the holes at Marana.

Attention was given here to frame holes with the trees but not drive lines. So baskets were typically in front of a horseshoe of trees in a wide open area. The putting greens were excellent, however, if the basket was behind or beside these trees, you would force the player to make a decision. You can still limb up trees so you can see baskets from the tee. Just a design style to "think" about when you create your new 8-9 holes. It is clear the design style of the course. It is pretty consistent throughout.

Im a 990 rated "am" (putting keeps me below 1000) so I am right in the target area you mention for the course. While I can throw up to 450' those throws are wildly inconsistent...so I consider myself a 400' or less thrower.

Championship level doesnt mean long. There were only 2-3 holes like this on 14 courses 2012 Pro/Am Worlds. (Bradford short #2, Kilborne16?) 400-450' par 3's. None at Winthrop. Long and championship level dont go hand in hand always.

ANyways great job on the course. Litter was minimal except the edges of the lake from the run off and everything looked great.

Im def not saying its perfect,and im not trying to argue, just wanted to get the word out about updates to the course. As a player thats trying to advance my skill im glad there is a course like this out of the 3 we have. Im a 950 rated "am" and i have shot -7 from the longs. I know its hard to design a perfect course with just one set of baskets/teepads, so thats why there are 10 that can be moved to a short position which takes off roughly 1000ft off the course distance.

ALSO, the new "flooded course" holes will likely be pretty flat and wide open. The terrain we have to use isnt the greatest BUT we will have 18 playable holes when the main course is flooded.

I have played mostly in indiana/michigan and i have seen some amazing courses. I have also seen alot of the courses in AZ and i think we have one of the best in the state (top 5 imo), but if u compare it to some of the courses i played back east , it falls way short. Im just glad its long enough so someone cant just come out and thumber/tomahawk (which is extremely popular out here) a under par round.

I also have 400-420ft power and this course pushes me to improve my game more than any other course i have played in AZ so far.

Mcbeth, Ullibari, and Feldbeard have played tournies here and shredded the course. With the direction the game is going the shots that Marana Rock forces are gonna need to be in your bag. I personally dont want to reach every hole, i want there to be a shot that i Cant throw so i can push myself to get that throw in my bag. Every hole is a par 3 to me, it keeps an urgency in my mind.

Also for most holes that you throw uphill to a basket, we have as many that you throw downhill. Mike Anderson created this course, and for it to be his baby and first DG course design, i think he did a hell of a job. Due to the lack of great courses in AZ ,i would prolly have to move if we didnt have Marana Rock.

Last edited:
Paul Ricky Dave shred every course. You can't make something because of them. They are just too good, and will always finish way ahead even if you made 1000' par 4's. They would shoot 3's and we would shoot 5's.

Good luck on the design, it is much needed. :clap::clap::clap::clap: for making DG better in your area. Its a shame for this beauty to be unplayable randomly, 2 months out of the year.

Paul Ricky Dave shred every course. You can't make something because of them. They are just too good, and will always finish way ahead even if you made 1000' par 4's. They would shoot 3's and we would shoot 5's.

Good luck on the design, it is much needed. :clap::clap::clap::clap: for making DG better in your area. Its a shame for this beauty to be unplayable randomly, 2 months out of the year.

thx :thmbup:

Im def not saying its perfect,and im not trying to argue, just wanted to get the word out about updates to the course. As a player thats trying to advance my skill im glad there is a course like this out of the 3 we have. Im a 950 rated "am" and i have shot -7 from the longs. I know its hard to design a perfect course with just one set of baskets/teepads, so thats why there are 10 that can be moved to a short position which takes off roughly 1000ft off the course distance.

ALSO, the new "flooded course" holes will likely be pretty flat and wide open. The terrain we have to use isnt the greatest BUT we will have 18 playable holes when the main course is flooded.

I have played mostly in indiana/michigan and i have seen some amazing courses. I have also seen alot of the courses in AZ and i think we have one of the best in the state (top 5 imo), but if u compare it to some of the courses i played back east , it falls way short. Im just glad its long enough so someone cant just come out and thumber/tomahawk (which is extremely popular out here) a under par round.

I also have 400-420ft power and this course pushes me to improve my game more than any other course i have played in AZ so far.

Mcbeth, Ullibari, and Feldbeard have played tournies here and shredded the course. With the direction the game is going the shots that Marana Rock forces are gonna need to be in your bag. I personally dont want to reach every hole, i want there to be a shot that i Cant throw so i can push myself to get that throw in my bag. Every hole is a par 3 to me, it keeps an urgency in my mind.

Also for most holes that you throw uphill to a basket, we have as many that you throw downhill. Jeff Homburg/Mike Anderson created this course. Due to the lack of great courses in AZ ,i would prolly have to move if we didnt have Marana Rock.

edit

New 18 hole "flooded course" is up. I will post a map tonite.