• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Arizona Courses

How impossible are those courses to follow? I see that there are course maps on the site, will I be able to follow the layouts ok using those?
They aren't impossible if you have a map. The flow is just not intuitive at all. A map is a necessity at Red Mountain.

The father/son duo that brought us(Prescott-onians) the Skyline course comes White Spar or Murray Pines as I call it; a heavy wooded 18 hole target course located off Ponderosa. I'll go so far as to say it takes the crown for the most beautiful, challenging and demanding target course in Prescott. Much longer than its' counterparts, with many elevation changes, tunnel shots, hazards and a blind hole or two to boot. Murray Pines is in my opinion the best Prescott has to offer. Will load up here as soon as we get distances and descriptions complete.

Hit up Buffalo Ridge over the weekend. Most of the baskets are in their long positions so the Ridge is playing like a total beast right now! Great challenge for the upcoming Cactus Finale.

hey everybody, I'm in the Phoenix area to play some disc golf for the next two days. I've already played thunderbird Paseo. got Conocido n Buffalo Ridge tomorrow. I will be playing at a variety of other area courses as well if you'd like to get ahold of me, my contact information is underneath shu pond in my signature.

hey everybody, I'm in the Phoenix area to play some disc golf for the next two days. I've already played thunderbird Paseo. got Conocido n Buffalo Ridge tomorrow. I will be playing at a variety of other area courses as well if you'd like to get ahold of me, my contact information is underneath shu pond in my signature.

Did you get to play Greenfield Lakes in Gilbert?

Would've been nice to get out that way a little sooner to play with a fellow Midwesterner. I'll be in Gilbert, AZ this weekend.

Is Greenfield going to be open on X-mas? I was hoping to get a round in while I'm down in the Valley(Tues/Wed). Also: Retrieve the discs lost from the last time I played there.

Buffalo Ridge is in really good shape right now. All of the baskets are in the best positions, and the new signage is amazing and much more helpful.

Buffalo Ridge is in really good shape right now. All of the baskets are in the best positions, and the new signage is amazing and much more helpful.

Don't forget all the work The Mayor did in clearing out paths to all locations!!!

Kyle, are you on Facebook? If so, you should join the Prescott DGC group as they have lots of updates for all things Prescott and Cottonwood.

Mike (blackcatsmith) has announced a new natural course near Prescott (previous page) that is solid.

A golfing buddy of mine owns some land adjacent to Skyline, and wants to fashion a course on his land either to extend Skyline or create a separate course entirely. Other that some initial layouts, we don't have much work done. It's an exciting prospect, though!

Just played Mariana Rock in Tuscan today! Holy crap !!! That course was great.

Glad you liked it! My home course and far and away my favorite Arizona course (with all due respect to Buffalo Ridge, Vista, Woodland).

If you're local we play bag tag leagues on Saturdays... just not this week with the Tucson City Championship going on across town.

Played White Spar up in Prescott with my brother yesterday and we both liked it a lot! Vegetation isn't too nasty, and it's a nice workout uphill for the front 9. I thought #8 was the signature hole. I added the course to DGCR listing. It's a nice mix of work and difficulty and I'd place it somewhere between School House and Thumb Butte. Thanks to blackcatsmith for the info!

Last edited:
#8 is beastly. I'd consider it the most challenging of the target courses up here. Thumb Butte is considerably shorter and School House is wide open comparatively imo. My best at White Spar is a -2, and it took every shot I have plus some tree kick love just to get that low.

White Spar definitely compliments the other object courses in Prescott. It was very challenging. It seems like you're angled uphill for a majority of your shots. Also, the wind was just whipping through the area, I've never seen wind like that at other object courses (Watson Lake can be extremely windy). I felt like I had a had a pretty solid round at White Spar and ended up +1

If you're playing the short tees at School House and you're 'on', you can shred that course. A good day on the long tees can still see under par scores, but is much more difficult.

Thumb Butte is going to punish any lack of accuracy. It's got a few blind shots from the tee and a couple of those densely over-grown rocky areas that might as well be considered hazards. TB also has a lot of elevation change from hole to hole, which messes with any consistency you may have established.

Skyline feels more open than SH, but is longer and doesn't allow any additional distance from skips due to the vegetation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I had to rate them in order of favorites:

School House (short/long)
White Spar
Thumb Butte
Skyline

In order of difficulty:

White Spar
Thumb Butte
School House (long)
Skyline
School House (short)

The last time I played Cottonwood Riverfront course was back in 2012 and it was a fun course, but really bad tee pads and crazy dense vegetation held the course back a bit. I played there earlier this week and it was AMAZING (except for some brutal wind). There are concrete pads, rubber pads, holes with alternate tee pads, vegetation was cleaned up, there was NO LITTER. The people that care for and play this course must be a good bunch of folks. The course is awesome.

The last time I played Cottonwood Riverfront course was back in 2012 and it was a fun course, but really bad tee pads and crazy dense vegetation held the course back a bit. I played there earlier this week and it was AMAZING (except for some brutal wind). There are concrete pads, rubber pads, holes with alternate tee pads, vegetation was cleaned up, there was NO LITTER. The people that care for and play this course must be a good bunch of folks. The course is awesome.
I'm with you. I liked the course the first time I played it but I hated the tees. Now it is an amazing course. I look forward to playing there this summer!

Latest posts