• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Arm speed vs strength

Hartley444

Birdie Member
I wanted to ask what is generally more important arm speed or strength? I am guessing speed because the snap will be much better. I am getting rhbh throws about 350 range with my saint but obviously trying to get more. I can get my bolt out further but the Saint is a lot easier for me to control. Also, during the reach back stage is it better to keep your arm loose until a certain point or almost completely through the drive?

Thanks

Better example is the tiny Paige Pierce, who can throw a disc over 450 feet.

I throw further than all my "bigger" friends.. I am athletic but not bulky. Strong core is more important than single bulky muscles like biceps, chest shoulders etc.

and your GRIP should be loose until the hit-- which keeps your arm tendons loose during your throw helping with speed. Its not that your arm isn't tense as you can't throw well with a noodle arm but you want your grip to be loose.

Last edited:
dunno about Shusterick, but I doubt Ms. Pierce benches over 300 lbs...

So obviously strength's not what it's all about.

I bet she has a fairly strong grip, and I bet her core is pretty strong too.

Either speed or strength(power) can get you distance, both is better. If only kachtz was still on here to comment.

Will is a twig and can throw, it's all about arm speed. Keep your arm loose until the disc is in front of your chest and then grip down and rip on it

What about the power grip. I used to have all four fingers underneath and noticed my pinki felt like it was causing more drag. I than switched to 3 fingers and it works but maybe a little less control though not a ton. All the videos talk about the power grip and always suggest all four fingers underneath but when talking with some people who play with local pros I have heard many do not use all. Do less fingers mean less drag and more snap for most?

Strong core is more important than single bulky muscles like biceps, chest shoulders etc.

I'm no exercise physiologist, but if strength has any bearing on distance, I think he may have a point here in that it's probably more imprtant to develop core strength as opposed to having big guns or strong shoulders.

Grip is really subjective.. top pros throw 2 finger crazy grips to power 4 fingers grips and every kind of variation in-between with the 4 finger power grip being a "standard" and fan grip being probably 2nd. I use a modified power grip where the pinky does not sit hard against the rim but floats there almost.

Timing, being fluid and having good control will get you much further in driving a disc golf disc than strength, grip, run-up or any other variable which impacts the throw but is not the driving force behind it.

I'm no exercise physiologist, but if strength has any bearing on distance, I think he may have a point here in that it's probably more imprtant to develop core strength as opposed to having big guns or strong shoulders.

exactly-- I am taller/lankier but also can lift over my own weight and carry nearly 200+ lbs as well as sprint and have great stamina-- disc golf is a very rounded sport in that aspect where body building would do a person little good for their game specially with timing etc.. I had a hell of time every off season during basketball when we would bulk up and go back to playing hard but shots were off. Same in DG you don't need 200lb+ bench press to throw 400'+

more tight your arm is the slower it can move so keeping the grip loose until the hit allows for higher acceleration during the pull-through than a firm girp the whole way through. Similar to whipping a towel or anything you don't just manhandle it and swing away.

I really suck at throwing discs. Last weekend was the first time I ever threw a disc straight. I'm not sure that I can throw 200 feet on level ground. Everything I say from here on out is merely the opinion of a non-expert and any actual expert who wants to disagree with or correct any part of this post should not hesitate to do so.

I've watched a few good slow-mo videos and something looks obvious to me; a good backhand drive gets its raw power primarily from the muscles in your middle/upper back. It's the same large muscle area as you would use for dumbbell rows and palm-out pullups. Obviously the motion is not exactly like either of those two examples.

This observation became clear to me at about 1:38 of this video:
clicky, failed at embedding the video

When I see someone post "keep the disc close to your chest" I now read "Do a lat row with your elbow up". When I see someone post "pull all the way back" I now read "do a complete lat row instead of just the last half". This is how it makes sense for your arm to be relaxed as you throw; it simply doesn't do the heavy lifting.

You can see in this video why the legs are also crucially important; power comes from the ground up. The precise timing of this whole-body cooperation must be a necessary part of the mysterious "Hit" I keep hearing about.

I wanted to ask what is generally more important arm speed or strength? I am guessing speed because the snap will be much better. I am getting rhbh throws about 350 range with my saint but obviously trying to get more. I can get my bolt out further but the Saint is a lot easier for me to control. Also, during the reach back stage is it better to keep your arm loose until a certain point or almost completely through the drive?

Thanks

I throw further than all my "bigger" friends.. I am athletic but not bulky. Strong core is more important than single bulky muscles like biceps, chest shoulders etc.

and your GRIP should be loose until the hit-- which keeps your arm tendons loose during your throw helping with speed. Its not that your arm isn't tense as you can't throw well with a noodle arm but you want your grip to be loose.

I bet she has a fairly strong grip, and I bet her core is pretty strong too.

Either speed or strength(power) can get you distance, both is better. If only kachtz was still on here to comment.

Will is a twig and can throw, it's all about arm speed. Keep your arm loose until the disc is in front of your chest and then grip down and rip on it

Grip is really subjective.. top pros throw 2 finger crazy grips to power 4 fingers grips and every kind of variation in-between with the 4 finger power grip being a "standard" and fan grip being probably 2nd. I use a modified power grip where the pinky does not sit hard against the rim but floats there almost.

Timing, being fluid and having good control will get you much further in driving a disc golf disc than strength, grip, run-up or any other variable which impacts the throw but is not the driving force behind it.

Hips + Snap = Bomb

hmm never heard the loose grip until the last second theory. might have to try that.

more tight your arm is the slower it can move so keeping the grip loose until the hit allows for higher acceleration during the pull-through than a firm girp the whole way through. Similar to whipping a towel or anything you don't just manhandle it and swing away.

I'm going to address the majority of these all at once: when throwing a disc, the arm is most efficient when preforming the motion of a whip. The energy is transferred from the feet, to the legs, through the hips, then core, then through the shoulders and throwing arm, culminating in a literal whip-like motion with the hand upon release. This is why timing is so important.

Noteworthy is that the loose grip until release is meant to keep the arm loose. A stiff arm is a stiff whip. It isn't as flexible and the energy transfer is not as efficient.

Getting specific: OP -- watch some Barry Schultz and his bent-elbow technique. Yes, there is a reach back, but it is almost spring like. Practicing this helps to get the feeling of the whip down. Also provides great control, as it usually doesn't require full power.

As for a strong core -- this helps prevents injury and allows for a quicker whipping and therefore more energy to be transferred to the disc. Quick hip rotation also helps with this, but focus more on a smooth transfer. Quick hips can destroy timing. Watch a struggle rotational swinging MLB batter. If their timing is off they can't make solid contact.

Slow is smooth; smooth is far.

Forgive the alcohol in my system (not really) but regurgitated information from here or DGR may seem personable, yet applies no real connection; I'm 5'9 a buck40 on a good day, and I can honestly (not internet) throw 400+ golf lines. Strength means nothing*.

Technique. Technique. Technique.

*I can bench my own weight no problem, but I'm not a skinny gym rat by any means...quite the contrary. Sure if I got jacked I may be able to throw a few feet farther but it wouldn't be relevant to this conversation.

Latest posts