• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Artificially beating in a disc

This is what happened with my Destroyer but it's just what I wanted. Before smashing it on the bricks, it would start going left within the first 50 feet of the throw. Now it's almost perfectly straight with a good late fade.

Mine didn't turn out the way I wanted basically it became a Eagle L / Eagle X :wall:

+1 for baseball diamond.

I throw drives at the backstop from center field, gets good practice in along with beating in discs.

Picking nits here, but there's really no "artificial" way to beat up a disc. You beat it up, or you don't. I guess I'd call it accelerated beating or strategic beating.

Personally, I prefer limiting the type of damage that comes from throwing in parking lots or against brick walls. But I cringe when watching people bend discs to far... obviously that's ridiculous, but it just goes to say that a lot of this is personal preference. I'm willing to wait a little too long for discs to season, perhaps, but I'm also willing to adjust my technique and shot selection while I wait.

Recently I decided to accelerate the wear on a KC Pro Roc so that I can have another beat up backup. I told my five year old that he can throw it whenever we throw discs at the practice basket in the back yard. He likes to go to the other end of the yard and throw as hard as he can which as often as not hits a tree branch, skips off concrete, hits the fence, etc. It's already coming along nicely with some good knicks and scratches. I'm guessing in a few weeks it will be perfect. :D

Honestly, if I want to break in a disc, I will throw it into my practice putting. It wont be apart of my normal putt, but when I get to the disc in question, I slam it into the chains. Helps to simulate more natural wear... Another good way is to just flick the disc into a tree from about 10 feet. Throwing plastic into concrete and bricks causes more traumatic damage which I dont think replicates the qualities of a 'seasoned' disc as accurately.

I bought a PFN SW that wasnt quite US enough. I made it noticeably more US by just smashing it into the ground a few times every time I had to wait on a tee for about 2 weeks.

It worked great. So great that I flipped it over and lost it. Back to the Mamba.

Normally I throw thumbers with a disc straight into the ground over and over.

Yesterday, I had an icon patriot that I just bought that was almost like a teebird stable to overstable. I decided I needed to back over it a few times. Results pending, but no such thing as too flippy since I throw a decent amount of rollers anyway.

Sometimes artificially seasoning a golf disc doesn't give you the same effect as naturally seasoning a golf disc. For example I artificially season a champion teebird and it lost it's HSS first instead of losing its LSS like it would have if done naturally.

I had the same issue with a Champ TeeBird I aggressively rubbed on rough concrete top to bottom . Where did we go wrong? I rather like the dryer idea. Maybe I could find one of those rotation raffle ticket bins?

Yesterday, I had an icon patriot that I just bought that was almost like a teebird stable to overstable. I decided I needed to back over it a few times. Results pending, but no such thing as too flippy since I throw a decent amount of rollers anyway.

Seemed to work pretty well. Now instead of being a rival it's more like the patriot I expected - will hyzer flip to straight to gently turn right for most of it's flight. I did the same thing with a new mongoose - I wanted to make sure it would definitely turn since it's now my roller disc. Worked pretty perfectly, I think.

I'd much rather wear in a disc normally, or buy a used version of something to put in my bag, but sometimes when that's not possible, 'alternatives' are handy to have.

I had the same issue with a Champ TeeBird I aggressively rubbed on rough concrete top to bottom . Where did we go wrong? I rather like the dryer idea. Maybe I could find one of those rotation raffle ticket bins?

I'm just going to let the process happen on it's own by rotating between backups. However whoever said the wall of firewood had a good idea.

I don't seem to have any problem hitting enough trees to beat discs in as the good lord intended, so seasoning discs happens soon enough. But actively thinking of ways to break in discs because you can't seem to hit enough trees to get the job done?

Damn... wish I was that good!

Latest posts