• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ask Reptilian Disc Golf: RDG Q&A

jcassidy1990

Reptilian Disc Golf
Reptilian Disc Golf was started as a small project with no planned endgame. We are now a year into business and have entered the market of disc manufacturing. Our first two molds, the Scale & Serpent, are set to enter production in 2015. We are trying hard to make a name for ourselves by bringing new molds to the market that fill classic preferences in players' bags.

Bc we are currently working with Gateway on producing our molds, our plastic blends are unique and different than anything on the market.
Fossil plastic is our best take on a classic KC Pro plastic. It is firm, gritty & bright white. I'm confident that you will enjoy the feel and performance of the Fossil line plastic currently being produced.

I just wanted to start up this thread with the intent to answer any questions that you may have about RDG. We are just two guys with a lot of ideas and none of this would be possible without the support of DGCR. Never once have I been discouraged from starting this project from a member & we now have two molds created that wouldn't be on the market without your feedback & support.

Thank You for Keeping it Reptile Style...
Jamie

Maybe tell us a little on why you are "Reptilian." Is there an interesting backstory?

Maybe tell us a little on why you are "Reptilian." Is there an interesting backstory?

When I was a kid I was obsessed with The Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin. I always thought that I would grow up to be a herpetologist and wrestle gators, wrangle snakes and wear khaki shorts...
That was until I found out I don't really enjoy holding dangerous animals.

When Matt Carter (other owner of RDG) and I were looking for a name, we decided that we needed an animal class because of the varied options for artwork. I remembered my childhood passion and we went with it.

Looking back on the decision to run with Reptilian Disc Golf as a name, I couldn't be happier. There has been a ton of marketing options made available through the theme and I don't see that ending anytime soon!

I still miss Steve Irwin. :(

That's cool, man. At least now the name has more meaning. I love the name of your plastic too. (Fossil)

I still miss Steve Irwin. :(

That's cool, man. At least now the name has more meaning. I love the name of your plastic too. (Fossil)

We are pretty proud of the the plastic names sticking to the theme but still being a little original. We plan to have two exclusive baseline blends in addition to the typical Gateway offerings.

Fossil: close to old time KC Pro. Becoming even more apparent as my Fossil Scale seasons up.
Tar Pit: a firm SSS-SS that is an ideal putting blend. Light chalky finish & tight nose for chain smashing.

We also plan to roll out an "Amber" plastic eventually as our champ offering.

Are there plans to distribute the molds wholesale for retail partners?

Initially we thought this was our plan but as of now we aren't positive.
One problem with this process is that our manufactured cost is close to what most folks would pay wholesale. The top is so thin that the process to make a Scale is double the shot time of a Wizard. We could retool the mold and get the manufacturing cost down but that would alter the performance of the disc so I'm not certain.

Once we get the production runs up I can see us trying to do some small batch wholesaled out to retailers/resellers but as of now it may just be an exclusive product to DGCR, Facebook and reptiliandiscgolf.com

In the end that may prevent us from getting our molds into the hand of the masses, but there is always something fun about feeling like you have the competitive advantage against other golfers ;)

Any plans to do a mold with the Warlock bottom?

I'm not sure yet. I know that it would likely be a great mold in the same style as a tank. I think the Wiz/Magic bottom provides us with the more versatile duo when paired with our top so that's why we went that route.

That said, if Dave is ever running Warlocks and I can convince him to throw our top in... I will most certainly do that :D

I'm not sure yet. I know that it would likely be a great mold in the same style as a tank. I think the Wiz/Magic bottom provides us with the more versatile duo when paired with our top so that's why we went that route.

That said, if Dave is ever running Warlocks and I can convince him to throw our top in... I will most certainly do that :D

Right on. I'm loving the Tank, but I would definitely at least try a ?/Warlock combo.

Any shot of getting some fossil liz wiz's? I am going to keep harping on this until it happens darn it!

Love the serpent and scale and am officially bagging both as of today. Would definitely grab an rdg lid if only for the sweet plastic blend

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesy
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
jiggy.gif

Do you know how well Fossil plastic will take dye? My blank scale is too perfect of a canvas to stay blank, but i dont want to pay someone to dye a new plastic without knowing if it will take well.

Do you know how well Fossil plastic will take dye? My blank scale is too perfect of a canvas to stay blank, but i dont want to pay someone to dye a new plastic without knowing if it will take well.

I'd bet it won't take dye at all unfortunately.

But.... only one way to find out. :popcorn:

Super sad about the lid decision. Give me a nice fairway and mid in pro plastic for cycling.

Latest posts