• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

At what distance would you be content with throwing?

At what distance would you be content with throwing?

Votes: 13 4.6%

Votes: 8 2.9%

Votes: 49 17.5%

Votes: 24 8.6%

Votes: 71 25.4%
  • 425 plus

Votes: 93 33.2%
  • I am content with my current distance

Votes: 22 7.9%

• Total voters
I voted for 350'. With my current ~300' of power, I have to power up way to much on longer (>300') Par 3 holes leading to decreased accuracy and too many outside of the circle putts. Same deal for Par 4 holes; many of the good landing zones for second shots are in the 300'-350' range...

400' should be good enough for you to hang with just about anybody if your midrange & putting game is good. I've been stuck in the 390-410' range for the last few years, with occasional random throws longer when I'm playing more frequently.

I was throwing Beasts and Orcs 400-425' 7 years ago, so it's crazy to me that I'm throwing Destroyers the same distance (or shorter) today. If I could hit the 425-450' range consistently and get some freak flyers out near 500' I would be really happy. Realistically I'm not going to push any further than that.

In all honesty I am upset if I am throwing for distance with destroyers and they don't touch 475'+. Even being able to throw that far I always wish I could throw farther and farther. If you are "content" with whatever distance you are currently throwing (everyone has excuses) you will never get much better than you are.

In all honesty I am upset if I am throwing for distance with destroyers and they don't touch 475'+. Even being able to throw that far I always wish I could throw farther and farther. If you are "content" with whatever distance you are currently throwing (everyone has excuses) you will never get much better than you are.

I'm assuming you meant "you will never get much better than you are at distance." Someone could throw 400, but work on their short game and accuracy and improve their score immensely without gaining distance.

And personally, I may hit 350 every once in a while on a freak shot, but I'd love to be consistent at that range. And it'd be nice to stretch them out to 400' also, but I'll work on consistently hitting 350 first.

Last edited:
I am shooting for a consistent 425 feet. I have been doing a lot of flexibility and body weight exercises in an effort to improve my range of motion. It hasn't helped my backhand much but I practiced putting for the first time all winter and noticed a dramatic improvement.

I practice putting all the time. It's distance that I have always struggled with. Currently I max out around 350'. This year I am looking to increase my distance and improve my form.

I was over 40 when I started playing and am approaching 50 now(Grandmaster in 2016!). I've never practiced driving so I have no delusions of a consistent 400+ at this point - I'm content with my 325'-350' forehand. I have two baskets in the garage but maybe spend 10 minutes a month(most months 0!) putting - I suck at practice!

500'+

I've heard somewhere that 500' is a sort of distance benchmark, where pretty much everything has to be done right. That's my goal ... do everything right. I don't care what number you attach to it. 500 just seems like the typical one.

If I can get to where i can consistently hit 415+ id be happy.

If I could hit 350 with by backhand I'd be overjoyed.

i'm really more into 500+. that is where i personally feel you'll see a huge difference in control because that's where you start throwing mids on 400 foot holes. that is a huge part of what separates the top pros from the rest of the crew imo.

This^^^

I'm kind of in the camp with the guys who're thinking in terms of mid D first. I've gotten to where I can usually hit about 300 with an Axis, on multiple lines. I'd love to get that up to about 350, but that 50 feet seems like about 50 miles at this point, lol.

I've broken 400' in the past, but I wanna do it all the time.

bingo.
there is a 395' hole at a local course that I have sailed past when everything clicks. the other 99% of the time I'm 25-50 feet short.

I voted 425' because farther is better. 425' power with a driver would/should translate to 350' accuracy with a mid, which would be so great.

I'm happy where I'm at right not hitting 400 with control drivers (OLFs, PDs, OLSs). I'd like to do it with a bit more consistency and control. But that is why the pure distance drivers are resting this winter (mostly). Accurate and controlled 400s on different lines is what I'm working on - not eking out an extra 40 feet with high speed stuff.

Don't care about distance as much as accuracy. If I can throw the disc 600', what good is it if it ends up 200' from the target, OB, and buried in the woods?

Don't care about distance as much as accuracy. If I can throw the disc 600', what good is it if it ends up 200' from the target, OB, and buried in the woods?
All the guys I've seen throw 600' are quite accurate inside 450'. :confused: