• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

At what point should I add a run up?

93EXCivic

Double Eagle Member
I have been really working on my form and right now I am working from a standstill and will continue to for a little bit. At what point should I start working on adding a run up to my drive?

Honestly, add the run up whenever you feel ready. If your see your throws get worst, you know you need to work on run-up form. If you gain no distance, again, look at your form. Doing this on video is very helpful as well.

I wouldn't just add a run up...work an extra step in at a time. Like, if you're standstill right now, work on taking a stride and reaching back, then the pull through. Then, a mini 2 step delivery.

As for the 'when'? If you're really comfortable with the timing then add a step in. If you're still shanking some or grip locking, keep practicing. It's kind of subjective.

I wouldn't just add a run up...work an extra step in at a time. Like, if you're standstill right now, work on taking a stride and reaching back, then the pull through. Then, a mini 2 step delivery.

As for the 'when'? If you're really comfortable with the timing then add a step in. If you're still shanking some or grip locking, keep practicing. It's kind of subjective.

I have been slowly adding a step to my standstill at least in field practice.

Run-ups are for fans of boy bands, TMZ reporters, Happy Gilmore and obese people at the buffet line. :|

Think of it as the disc golf quick step. How long have you been playing? 6 months? What distance do you attain from a standing throw? How old are you? Chronic injuries?

Its not a simple answer, but familiarity with the act of driving will bring the "run-up" to you, naturally. Eventually. Maybe.

Think of it as the disc golf quick step. How long have you been playing? 6 months? What distance do you attain from a standing throw? How old are you? Chronic injuries?

Its not a simple answer, but familiarity with the act of driving will bring the "run-up" to you, naturally. Eventually. Maybe.

Since October. 280-300ft with my beat in Gazelle/ Leopard. 27. No chronic injuries.

I know this is arbitrary, but if you want a goal to hit then it is not unrealistic at all to be getting 250' with putters from a stand still/half step. That is what worked for me.

I know this is arbitrary, but if you want a goal to hit then it is not unrealistic at all to be getting 250' with putters from a stand still/half step. That is what worked for me.

I'm pretty much at this, but I still think more work is necessary and here's why...

I'm no David Wiggins, but if he can crank Aviars up to 400', then I don't think hitting 300' with putters is over ambitious.

I'm pretty much at this, but I still think more work is necessary and here's why...]

I'm no David Wiggins, but if he can crank Aviars up to 400', then I don't think hitting 300' with putters is over ambitious.

Absolutely! But I meant if you want a goal for stand still I think 250' is good. Once you get a feel for that timing then adding footwork in makes more sense. 300' is very achievable putter distance.

Latest posts