• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Atl to D.C. Road trip

Moose33

Stego Connoisseur
Gold level trusted reviewer
Hey guys, taking the family to D.C. For a week to see the sights and such.

Any good courses in Roanoke or Alexandria? We will be staying there while in the areas and Roanoke on the way up.

Thanks in advance.

If you're in Alexandria, look at Seneca Creek and Patapsco. You also have Bluemont in Arlington. I hear it's in quite a busy park though.

Which way are you coming and how far off the path are you willing to go.

I would have thought you'd come up 85 through Charlotte (which obviously has many options) and not get anywhere near Roanoke. If you are coming up 81 I'd suggest Mountain Lake a little NW of Blacksburg (beautiful mountain top course) and Greenfield.

If you come up 85/95 in Richmond you've got Bryan Park and near Fredericksburg there's the Blockhouse and a little further out Hawk Hallow.

Seneca Creek is going to be 45 min NW and Patapsco about 1 hr NE from Alexandria. Travel times are highly variable around DC depending.

If you want to try old-school courses, Bluemont and Calvert Road are "interesting" short courses established back in the 80s.

We are starting at my in-laws house and they live far enough north of the city that it was faster to go 75 through Knoxville and cut over.

I'm planning to play some Charlotte courses in october so this is okay.

I can't go too far off the path, I'm the only real golfer out of the 5 people in the car so I try to be courteous.

Seneca Creek definitely seems like one I'll try to hit. Thanks for the recs so far!

If you're in Alexandria, look at Seneca Creek and Patapsco. You also have Bluemont in Arlington. I hear it's in quite a busy park though.

Keep in mind, that if you're going up to Seneca or Patapsco, you're going to have to take the beltway. If you time it wrong, that can be a very long trip.

Bluemont is great if you can get there in the middle of a weekday when it's less crowded.

You could also check out Burke Lake or Giles Run. Burke is a fun little course that can be played most of the way with mids and putters, but it too can be crowded at times. Giles is more of a championship level course, but can be tough to play without someone to help spot.

Top picks
Near Roanoke: Mountain Lake a little NW of Blacksburg (beautiful mountain top course)

If you can detour somewhat: Walnut Creek in Red Hill VA (south of Charlottesville) is my #3 Top Favorite course of all time! On my scale I rate it 9.6 out of 10.

My #1 on my Wish List: If you can beg and cajole a fair detour... Lake Marshall in Montross VA. 3 courses in the complex. Take your wife and kids to The Lambs to get them into the game. And do anything you have to play The Lion! It looks totally epic, even if only 9 of 18 holes are finished! The owner's vision is to create "the Augusta National of disc golf"! And John Biscoe is a very solid and experienced designer to make it happen.

Bluemont in Arlington is my top rated 9 holer (8.5 out of 10)

I suggest you avoid Giles Run in Lorton. Scenic and unique, but way too many thorn thickets. (unless they have seriously pruned them back in recent years). Make sure to read all reviews there first, esp recent ones.

If you can make it to Seneca then do so. The 27 holes there are great! And your family can play elsewhere in the park. Or maybe you could go at sunrise...

Last edited:
What is your player skill level (Gold, Blue, White, Red...) or rating?

What is your player skill level (Gold, Blue, White, Red...) or rating?

I'm currently averaging 967 golf, but can regularly throw up a 1000. Distance isn't an issue, I'm not a good putter. Don't hold anything back because of how long it is!

I'm currently averaging 967 golf, but can regularly throw up a 1000. Distance isn't an issue, I'm not a good putter. Don't hold anything back because of how long it is!
So you should enjoy Blue level courses the most. Seneca or Walnut Creek from the long tees would challenge you.

Seneca Creek definitely seems like one I'll try to hit. Thanks for the recs so far!

Seneca Creek is a classic woods course, definitely worth playing if you are up for the drive (DC traffic is no joke). Baskets are mostly B and C positions at present, so plenty of challenge if you visit soon.

I work about 15 minutes from Seneca, so let me know if you would like a course guide.

Darnestown is ~15 minutes from Seneca - fun course, but much less groomed (natural tee pads last I checked, etc.).

Patapsco long to long (the "Green Monster") is 9,300 feet for 18 holes and well worth playing. Still lots of trees, but more of a bomber course compared with Seneca. Probably an hour's drive from Seneca, though, and at least an hour and 15 minutes from Alexandria.

Good luck!

He's from Atlanta.....I'm sure he's dealt with traffic woes before.

On the other hand, he's on vacation, he's probably happy with tips to avoid any more.

Hey guys, taking the family to D.C. For a week to see the sights and such.

Any good courses in Roanoke or Alexandria? We will be staying there while in the areas and Roanoke on the way up.

Thanks in advance.

Roanoke- Greenfield comes highly recommended by people whose opinion I respect. Mountain Lake too but it's more out of your way.

Alexandria- Bluemont is fun and closest. Seneca is probably the best within less than an hour.
The NOVA club is very active and may have stuff going on while you're there too. Check their FB page. Lots of stuff about an hour away, if Freedom Center outside Leesburg is open to the public by the time you come it is going to be a great par 65-ish woods course.

Biscoe,

Who is the course designer at Freedom Center near Leesburg? And when are they expecting to open? Sounds great!

And I'm drooling over Lake Marshall in Montross VA!! When will the front 9 of the Lions course be completed?

Who is the course designer at Freedom Center near Leesburg? And when are they expecting to open? Sounds great!

Should be open to public fairly soon. I've played it a dozen or so times now and walk away each time feeling punished by that course but also blown away by how great of a true woods course it is both in design and just how dang pretty the land is.

I drove 4 hrs last year to Lake Marshall, it's so good. Senaca is a great woods course, I'd go there too.

Latest posts