• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Atom

Yeah Cooter a bunch of people on this forum definitely disagree with me on that point, but a whole bunch of people agree with me too. I threw a 174 proton Ion for almost a year and didn't get the same results as you. In fact I didn't sense or perceive a unique flight quality to any of the MVP discs I bagged or borrowed, which surprised me because MVP discs and the gyro technology appeal to me. They flew exactly as any other disc does for me, no subtly different gliding, turning, or fading. But this has been discussed ad nauseam and is off topic, I shouldn't have mentioned it and I apologize.

What I was trying to point out is that I'm happy that MVP has been catering more to my taste lately lol. Baseline putters from them feels like a long time coming because otherwise I personally wouldn't even consider putting with an MVP putter again. I imagine that is true for a lot of people.

Stamp looks pretty cool. Wish I could try before I buy. I'm looking for an Envy rim depth/Anode fade on putts. Envy is a bit beefy on putting duties (for me). Maybe this one is it? the search continues.

Sign me up. This is the disc that may just give my SSS wizard the final boot. Atom for a putting putter, envy for drives and approaches. I am really starting to enjoy mvp/axiom. Plan on building an exclusive bags just for poops and grins. Should be fun.

Retooled proto.. so this means protos aren't approved and they wont be legal in pdga sanctioned competitions. :(

Ted, you opened a big old can o worms! Haha. Both sides are always good to hear as long as it doesn't go on endlessly for pages. It probably just comes down to how you putt really and what style you use. I've got friends that hate MVP AND others that love it.

On topic though I am very curious about how the Atom and MVPs other new releases are going to pan out. They seem so similar in profile and I'm wondering how the experimental electron discs fit in. 2015 should be interesting. I can't wait to get each mold and put them to the test.

Retooled proto.. so this means protos aren't approved and they wont be legal in pdga sanctioned competitions. :(

Is this for real? Bummer if so. Plenty of unsanctioned events to play but why master a putter if you can't play in the big boy tourneys.

no.... majority of the protos are just that-- protos.

If you have a blue proto however then you have an Atom mold but these are pretty rare being there was white, pink, orange and lighter orange/pinks in the runs of 500 each.

Brad R(Co. Owner MVP)--For those of you wondering about the blue protos being different than the other prototypes. Those are actually pre-engraved prototypes of the Atom. There was a small retool, which was to adjust for the processing parameters to allow more optimal quality. However, in terms of the flight, the blue protos are slightly less stable compared to what the production Atom will be. We look forward to your further feedback., as far as I can remember, all the blue protos, both formula 1 and formula 2, were Atom prototypes. They were definitely a minority in the batch; less than 100 per run of 500.

Last edited:
How I understand PDGA approvals -- they already are. Doesn't matter if you have a prototype or whatever as long as the mold gets approved. Tooling is just that.

Atom is PDGA approved, the blue prototype is that mold. No issue.

I think if someone questions your disc in a PDGA event you need some type of proof that it is what it is. Does the prototype have some Atom stamp anywhere or writing?

MVP and Latitude are some of the only companies to even engrave the mold on their discs so what about 99% of everyother company out there which sell protos or untooled discs before approval? Disccraft has stopped doing it on the inside rim for some molds I believe so there is no real indicator of mold on any disc.

Stamps or pen could be wrong anyway. I don't see how it could be an issue at all. Innova throwers would have a hell of a time proving what mold they were throwing :popcorn:

Last edited:
Yeah Cooter a bunch of people on this forum definitely disagree with me on that point, but a whole bunch of people agree with me too. I threw a 174 proton Ion for almost a year and didn't get the same results as you. In fact I didn't sense or perceive a unique flight quality to any of the MVP discs I bagged or borrowed, which surprised me because MVP discs and the gyro technology appeal to me. They flew exactly as any other disc does for me, no subtly different gliding, turning, or fading. But this has been discussed ad nauseam and is off topic, I shouldn't have mentioned it and I apologize.

What I was trying to point out is that I'm happy that MVP has been catering more to my taste lately lol. Baseline putters from them feels like a long time coming because otherwise I personally wouldn't even consider putting with an MVP putter again. I imagine that is true for a lot of people.
I'm going to have to agree with you there. As fun as it is to follow MVP I still have not seen definitive evidence that the Gyro/overmold does anything. Not to rag on MVP or anything, but you are right that any other disc will do the same thing, if not better in many instances. I have seen people on here say that MVP discs require more snap to achieve their flight, so maybe that's the defining factor.

Anyway... that's neat about the blue protos. I feel special :D. Hopefully they release Ions soon! Need dat bead.

If you haven't done the testing primatively even with a lid and some taped on coins I wouldn't comment on the topic. Try and get back to it.

Its science which you cant really argue. Whether it impacts your throws might be one thing but after carrying a pretty much all MVP bag for 2 years I can say there is a difference. Specially when it comes to understable discs handling more power or their slower discs flying longer/straighter. There is a reason why a lot of players don't get the turn or glide out of MVP discs of the same speed class and weight as their conventional single shot molds and the only thing I can blame it on is the added weight to the rim and low RPMs on the disc when thrown regardless of power level.

MVP and Latitude are some of the only companies to even engrave the mold on their discs so what about 99% of everyother company out there which sell protos or untooled discs before approval? Disccraft has stopped doing it on the inside rim for some molds I believe so there is no real indicator of mold on any disc.

Stamps or pen could be wrong anyway. I don't see how it could be an issue at all. Innova throwers would have a hell of a time proving what mold they were throwing :popcorn:

Discraft has started tooling all their molds recently.

As I understand the nature of the retool, it's not something that would impact performance or be a measurable difference in mold to the PDGA. In my experience the blue protos would be PDGA legal. It's been acknowledged as an Atom and the retool was imperceptible (except for the engraving). If these aren't legal, neither are Destrulcans, SOS, fat-nosed Sidewinders, and a dozen other anomalous but within-spec pressings. If you wanna play it safe though, wait till production Atoms and also don't get hooked on rare putters and also watch for glass and needles at the course.

ah OK thanks! I thought I remember reading some new ones didn't have the mold tooling on them but personally feel its a good practice just don't see how it should be NEEDED to throw a disc in a tournament.. unless someone is going to sit there and inspect discs against actual PDGA approved specs. :|

Discraft has started tooling all their molds recently.

but ace race discs for example fit this perfectly.

Last edited:
Hopefully they release both soft and firm at the same time. I don't want to be waiting on a specific plastic because they only chose to release one.

If you haven't done the testing primatively even with a lid and some taped on coins I wouldn't comment on the topic. Try and get back to it.

Its science which you cant really argue. Whether it impacts your throws might be one thing but after carrying a pretty much all MVP bag for 2 years I can say there is a difference. Specially when it comes to understable discs handling more power or their slower discs flying longer/straighter. There is a reason why a lot of players don't get the turn or glide out of MVP discs of the same speed class and weight as their conventional single shot molds and the only thing I can blame it on is the added weight to the rim and low RPMs on the disc when thrown regardless of power level.

I have a lot of MVP. Not a single mold has near the glide of other discs. If I have a low ceiling, no way am I pulling an MVP disc. If I do, I have to go up in speed to a level I would never throw that distance.

I have a lot of MVP. Not a single mold has near the glide of other discs. If I have a low ceiling, no way am I pulling an MVP disc. If I do, I have to go up in speed to a level I would never throw that distance.

maybe you should just throw harder.

Personally, one of the reasons I clicked with MVP is the wind fighting ability, which kind of accounts for the lack of glide. I still throw my Alias or Tangent on tunnel shots, depending on the need, they glide plenty enough for me to make the shots I need them to, and I am more confident in them for the shots than I was with my Buzzz.

Latest posts