• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Attention All Die-Hard Roc Fans

I have 3 rocs in the bag and 30 more in the garage, so you could probably call me a die-hard roc fan. I'd play a buzzz only tournament in a heartbeat, I love fun formats like that when they make everybody do something other than what they would normally do on a course. I think the buzzz is fantastic at what it does best, it just doesn't happen to fit in with how I built my bag.

The tourney is called roc vs buzzz. You can throw one or the other. Total score for roc throwers vs total score of buzzz throwers. I think it caps at 72 peeps.

rvb.jpg

I throw Roc's but if I was going to throw the Discraft equivalent I would Throw a WASP! Considering they are MUCH closer in flight. I wish people would Stop this Roc vs Buzzz nonsense. Its dumb at least get it right and say Roc vs WASP!!!

I carry a Z Buzzz, Z Wasp, and occassionally a DX Roc; a KC Roc; Ti Wasp and a Z Buzzz SS along with them depending on the course.

I dont carry a Buzz but I'd play, however, with all the great company's out there why not have a midrange only tournament because if I had my choice of 1 midrange to play in a 1 disc tournament it would me my Icon Ghost.

Here's an idea....before the tournament starts everyone who throws a buzz moves to the right and all roc throwers to the left. That way nobody can cheat when you change the rules of the Toruney. All buzz throwers must throw rocs. All roc throwers must throw buzzes. Now let's see who can shoot the lowest throwing something you normally don't throw. Now that would be a tournament I would be interested in playing.

I throw Roc's but if I was going to throw the Discraft equivalent I would Throw a WASP! Considering they are MUCH closer in flight. I wish people would Stop this Roc vs Buzzz nonsense. Its dumb at least get it right and say Roc vs WASP!!!

Problem is what ROC and what Buzzz. The Wasp is certainly a better comparison with some ROC molds, but some of the Buzzz molds are better comparisons to other ROC molds.......:wall:

I've said this on other Roc V Buzzz event threads:

The focus of any Roc V Buzzz based event is that its not really about the discs. It's about the disc cultures clashing! (and that's the fun part of it)

The discs themselves are only a secondary excuse to supply the premise.

Last edited:
I've said this on other Roc V Buzzz event threads:

The focus of any Roc V Buzzz based event is that its not really about the discs. It's about the disc cultures clashing! (and that's the fun part of it)

The discs themselves are only a secondary excuse to supply the premise.

Probably true, but I guess I don't really realize what the culture differences are between ROC and Buzzz players.

And another way to stack up data (I've posted this before)
(note that these criteria allow for differences in team player numbers)

Criteria for team win: (or try something else out if you don't any one like these)

1. Team of best scoring player (yes, could draw and share this category)
2. Team with best mean average (good overall criteria)
3. Team with best team median score (protects from some data swing when paired with #2)
4. Team with best mean average of top six players (gives some weight to the better players)
5. Team with higher percentage of players under course par (sounds good, and sounds different)

Team winning majority of criteria categories takes the title for the year.
*set a tie break or two just in case.... or consider a massive CTP as final tie break.

Probably true, but I guess I don't really realize what the culture differences are between ROC and Buzzz players.

There isn't much. It's cultural and product affiliation/allegiance type stuff. And the fact that each player has "their own reasons" for affiliating makes it even better. Since there is no party platform there are discussions on multitude of fronts (none of which really mean that much) - which is why everyone can still be friends at the end!

Subtle differences are what make "taste wars" so fun and cheeky. Pepsi v Coke, etc, etc.

Here's an idea....before the tournament starts everyone who throws a buzz moves to the right and all roc throwers to the left. That way nobody can cheat when you change the rules of the Toruney. All buzz throwers must throw rocs. All roc throwers must throw buzzes. Now let's see who can shoot the lowest throwing something you normally don't throw. Now that would be a tournament I would be interested in playing.

That would be a sweet tourney. A couple years back I played in a Roc vs Buzzz tourney. The rules were you could carry as many discs as you want as long as they were all Rocs (All molds) or all Buzzes (including Buzzz SS). I wasn't really Rocs vs Buzzz's it was still like a normal tourney. The top three open players used Rocs :D.

To the OP I don't have a Buzzz in my bag but I do cycle Rocs (all Flat Tops), I carry two DX Rocs, two KC Rocs & a Roc3. I also have around 20 more Rocs on standby for whenever I need em. With that said I have no hatred for the Buzzz & would definitely do an all Buzzz tourney. I have no problem with a friendly rivalry, me & my friends always mess with each other when it comes to Rocs & Buzzz's but I've meet some people who take it to far. I think it sounds like a fun idea & I would gladly participate as long as I didn't have to pay for the Buzzz :D.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

all these tourny ideas are cool but the roc side would obviously win, so theres no point really.

Why do you say that? I feel that there is an equal chance of either side winning. It's the archer not the arrow, I feel the skill of the people throwing has a greater impact on it then the disc itself. If the skill levels are somehow even (which seems impossible especially b/c people can have off days & they're so many other variables) I bet it would be a very close if each side could only carry one disc.

Why do you say that? I feel that there is an equal chance of either side winning. It's the archer not the arrow, I feel the skill of the people throwing has a greater impact on it then the disc itself. If the skill levels are somehow even (which seems impossible especially b/c people can have off days & they're so many other variables) I bet it would be a very close if each side could only carry one disc.

Some of it would depend on the course. The buzzz is better at dead straight shots, low ceilings and has a little more distance. The roc is more versatile and a little better for tricky line shaping.

Some of it would depend on the course. The buzzz is better at dead straight shots, low ceilings and has a little more distance. The roc is more versatile and a little better for tricky line shaping.

I agree, but what if each Roc thrower throws a beat Roc in a similar stability to a Buzzz? I haven't tossed a Buzzz in a long time, is it even possible to beat in a Roc like a brand new Buzzz? I assume you could do it.

Latest posts