• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Attn Lat 64 lovers (opinion thread)

I'll play:

Putter:
Sinus SP - Trade them to me. I kept trying to change my putter but cannot. Keep coming back so gave up. The 3 grips are all slightly different. Plastic gets beat a little hitting stuff harder but after 1.5 years of using my main putter its still overstable.
Sinus AP - great for long distances, holds up better
Spike - Solid disc too, just prefer the Sinus. I feel the Sinus is a little faster.

Mids:
Core - one of the best midranges on the market. Very Buzzz like. Does get flippy as it beats in.
Medius - Threw it twice. That was enough for me.

Drivers:
Striker - great fariway/distance type driver. just feel that if you don't put enough into it, it doesn't preform as well. Prefer TeeBirds. I like the Gold Line better than the Opto Line. It didn't seem as sensitive.
Vision - Awesome understable distance driver. Probably the disc I threw the further most consistantly. More like a Monarch without the unique rim.
XXX - Solid overstable Firebird/Predator like disc. Could easily replace either but I had enough Firebirds on hand to not justify buying any.
Riot - Crazy fast disc. Boss/Destroyer like. I could not throw far enough to jusify keeping mine (I think I threw it over 200 twice). One of the guys I used to run into playing over threw a 460 flat hole with it the first time he tried it from my bag. It's his now.

plastic wise:
The Premier Line is more "distructable" than the Zero Line. Both have a great feel for the putt/approach disc quality. Both still take some of a beating. (standard putting abuse)
Not enough experience with the Grip Line to give a solid opinion on.
I agree that the Opto Line is way more grippy than elite Z or champion plastic. I also feel it beats in faster. Not neccessarily gets knicks and scratched up but does seem to lose stability a little quicker. Which is a good and a bad thing depending on how you look at it. Just my experience with Cores and Visions. Strikers were too sensitive for me to throw for some reasons. Didn't understand it. Not worried about it.
Gold Line is pretty sweet. Grippy wonderful thing. I did not throw that Gold Line Striker long enough to see how it beats in though. I am working on a couple Gold Line Cores but only had them for a couple of weeks and haven't played like I normally do because I smashed my pinky at work. So far so good though. Unfortunately, I probably won't know until spring since it tends to snow in Chicagoland and I am not going to risk losing these things.

About the medius maybe being a fairway...maybe thats what I need to use it for...hmmm.

I've got 2 Medius's (Medii?) I tried throwing them like mids for a round and couldn't get anything out of them. Then I saw on DGC it has the same flight ratings as the Cyclone, and on Joe's flight chart it's a half step shorter in range with HSS and LSS right between the Gazelle and Cyclone. Comparing profiles side by side the Medius looks like a very domey Cyclone.

That being said, I've yet to take them out and actually throw them since discovering this. I need to check it out soon.

I have been very interested in Lat64's lineup recently. They are making some very nice discs, and the opto plastic is amazing stuff! I only have experience with two of their discs, but heres what I think:

Striker: I purchased an Opto line thats 173g and unfortunately is a very clear yellow. The fact that the disc is so clear makes me nervous to throw it in some areas as I am worried I may lose it. The disc itself flies very nice. It seems to fly a lot like my new Star TL, only with a more pronounced fade at the end. It's a very straight disc thrown hard and flat, with consistant fade every time. The grip of the Opto line plastic is outstanding, and the durability is top notch as well. The disc does seem kinda slow to me, it has the potential to go far but it seems like I have to put more arm on it than say my TL to get it to go the same distance. My main gripe with the Striker is that it doesn't like any headwind. The disc will start to turn over on you without much wind, so it stays in my bag on breezy days. I really like the Striker but unfortunately it's battling it out with my Star TL for a spot in my bag, and right now the TL is winning.

Riot: This was my first Lat64 disc, also in Opto plastic. I, like many others, have had release problems with this disc. The tilted inner rim seems to throw me off with my release timing, and I end up scattering my drives all over. The few times I did get an accurate release, the disc did bomb for me. It's pretty fast with a little high speed turn, and consistant fade at the end. I think it's flight is best described as Wraith like with less fade than a Wraith. I really wanted to like this disc, as I did have some awesome drives with it. Unfortunately I just could not let it go consistantly.

I just ordered myself an Opto XXX that should be here the middle of next week. Currently I throw Predators for my overstable slot, but tried a friends Firebird the other day and really liked it the few times I threw it. My main issue with the Preds are the inner rim. It really sticks out to the point that it hurts my thumb when I release thumbers with it, and it's my main thumber disc. The Firebird had a much smoother rim, which I have heard the XXX is even smoother upon release. I am really excited for the XXX, might be the first Lat64 disc that locks a spot down in my bag. I also want to try the Vision, and possibly a Core sometime down the road.

What do you use the trident for? I tried to put it in as a gazelle replacement and I found I would never grab it so that didn't work. I like putting with it in high winds.

I use it for 100-150 ft shots that have to stay right (forehand) or left (backhand). Kept me out of many a lake.

Plus it drops out of the sky and hits the ground like a dead pigeon.

Oh yeah. It's almost immune to wind.

The more it beats in, the farther I can throw it too....

i have no clue about any lat 64 discs but ive been curious to try them. i throw mostly innova and some discraft but i have more knowledge of innova so i gotta ask....which ones are their long distance drivers and which ones are their fairway drivers and what do they compare to in innova discs?

which ones are their long distance drivers and which ones are their fairway drivers and what do they compare to in innova discs?

Striker = Stable fairwaydriver, similar to TL
Riot = Distance, their answer to the Wraith/Surge
Blitz = Faster more overstable Riot
Vision = Faster Roadrunner
Trident = Superslow overstable controldriver
XXX = Their Predator/Firebird, awesome for wind/hyzers/thumbers

Well I sold a disc and I'm gunna go to Gotta Go Gotta Throw on Monday to pick out a New Lat. I am up in the air for what I should get. I think I have it down to getting either a Vision or a xXx. What do you think I would benefit most from. Here is what I own for drivers currently: 3 Strikers, 2 Surge SS, 1 Surge, 1 150 Flick, and 1 Avenger SS.

Well it all depends on what you will have the most use for, with the Surge.SS and the Avenger.SS you are pretty covered as far as turnover/roller/understable drivers are concerned. Maybe a XXX would fill a gap in your bag. Kinda depends on if you have the arm for it and/or if you can find a use for it, if you want a great overstable driver for windy days and big hyzers then the XXX is the way to go.

I don't have a huge arm. In a practice field I can now hit 300' consistently and even get some out to 360+ on occasion. If I bought the xXx (which I am leaning towards) I would probably not be able to make it go straight, but I'd use it for headwinds and skip shots. I think I may wait till my Avenger SS gets too flippy for me and then I will replace it with a Vision.

Sounds like a plan, a good overstable disc really gives you a whole new set of options for selecting shots. Hitting that massive hyzerbomb over the treetops or powering through some big headwind is very rewarding. Let us know how you and the XXX are getting along later on.

I forgot about hyzer bombs...

That is a shot I've never really gotten the hang of yet. I can work a straight shot and annies pretty well, I am starting to work in more intentional hyzers into my game.

Well I sold a disc and I'm gunna go to Gotta Go Gotta Throw on Monday to pick out a New Lat. I am up in the air for what I should get. I think I have it down to getting either a Vision or a xXx. What do you think I would benefit most from. Here is what I own for drivers currently: 3 Strikers, 2 Surge SS, 1 Surge, 1 150 Flick, and 1 Avenger SS.

Get a Sinus. Everybody wants a Sinus.

I have never owned, but played a round with an Opto Core.

It was awesome, slightly more domey Z BuzZz if you ask me, in a SWEET plastic.

It was like piss colored Champ or Z plastic with the grip of ESP.

\/\/

Piss colored champ

hahaha

haha

ha

I love it. Like mega-dehydrated pee right?

Not even that dehydrated...just morning pee color. Really was that color. I wouldn't have bought that color, or would have dyed...it tended to blend in better than any other yellow i've ever thrown.

Not too bad really, just not bright enough to be yellow...

\/\/

Oh ok, my Vision was dehydrated...

dsc09802o.jpg

yeah, water that color down just a couch, so it looks like...I don't know...old glass? lemonade where you're like...is that pee? I think that might be pee...that girl's so cute...so you buy 2 glasses and let somebody ELSE drink the first one...

just in case...

\/\/

could someone who is experienced with the trident please give a review/comparison on it, because i'm very interested in that disc

Latest posts