• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

August 31, 2010 Ratings Update!

This is something that took me by surprise. I knew Seppo was badass, but I didn't know just how badass:

Even younger, and amazingly even better at the European Championships, we have Seppo Paju of Lieto, Finland with an impressive 985 rating at age 16. However, he stunned everyone this past weekend when he unofficially averaged 1044 over the four preliminary rounds while in the Junior division and would have lead open by four throws at that point.

WOW...

The ratings just went in

added four rounds

998, 964, 998, and 898.

As a result, I drop 1 point back.. to 947.

sheesh

Jesse B 707 said:
just 11 more points for me too :wink: (except my rating will probly go down next update :cry: )

mine should go back up a little with the next update - unofficially 965 and 953 rounds in a C-Tier I played in August. Hopefully that will put the 2 sub-900 rounds outside of my standard deviation and they won't count against me in the next update :p

Most people who go up 902 points in one rating would be relatively pleased. :roll: I just finally registered in July and I played only one tourney and I did not play well. I have another 2 tournaments that didn't count to this update but one was worse and one was better so they should even each other out.

Can anyone speak to the discrepancies of how players are rated by state? For instance some friends of mine who play out of state have told me they place better in other states in the same division. Are there states that are harder to get good ratings in more so than others? Or is this just a course ratings + geographic location = some states are just harder to earn points in type of deal?

Dig It said:
Can anyone speak to the discrepancies of how players are rated by state? For instance some friends of mine who play out of state have told me they place better in other states in the same division. Are there states that are harder to get good ratings in more so than others? Or is this just a course ratings + geographic location = some states are just harder to earn points in type of deal?
They might place better because golfers from that state are more likely to play up a division leaving him playing against less talent. The ratings have nothing to do with states.

jnecessary said:
Dig It said:
They might place better because golfers from that state are more likely to play up a division leaving him playing against less talent. The ratings have nothing to do with states.
I am not really sure what your first sentence means and to be clear I don't think they have different rating metrics for each state just that a natural phenomenon is occurring. These people that play out of state that I know play in the same division they would play here, place better and have a much lower rating compared to the people they just beat. After making this post I realized that people from other states that don't experience this will have no idea what I am talking about so I should probably just ask locally their opinions why the rating seem skewed for our state. It's pretty apparent talking to CO players that play out of state that they have a feeling something is odd. Thanks for taking a crack at this jnecessary, but I should have realized sooner my question would be esoteric. Or maybe I am just trying to justify feeling great about my bump to 917 after much hard work. :lol:

With a typically higher altitude in Colorado, there may be something that it's easier to play at lower altitude after normally being used to higher altitude.

Chuck Kennedy said:
With a typically higher altitude in Colorado, there may be something that it's easier to play at lower altitude after normally being used to higher altitude.
I know the altitude is no joke as far as how it effects your game so you may have something there. While I have your ear Chuck is it safe to assume the PDGA has found nothing like I am describing with CO or any other state for that matter having an uneven rating summary?

No issues other than some areas have higher rated ams within a division range than others. But that has nothing to do with ratings being off, just the current regional mix of player skills at that moment.

Three of my top four tournament performances this year, judging by round ratings, have been outside my local area while the tournaments outside my local area only account for a third of the total. I've also noticed that I seem to perform better, or at least feel that I'm performing better, on more challenging courses (judged by SSA/#holes). I'm guessing that these observations come about as a result of a heightened level of interest and focus when playing in an environment different than that in which I would normally be playing.

masterbeato said:
i was 990 and dropped to 985

And now Beto can no longer review discs! Blake's chart is now officially fucked.

Going from altitude to sea level is not easy...It's like someone taking all of your money stable plastic out of your bag and replacing it with a bunch of premium weight polecats.

A couple years ago, when I first started playing tournaments, everyone said that our rounds were being rated lower due to no 1000 rated players other than Randolph. I'm sure Chuck Kennedy would vehemently deny any such effect. Anyway, we have more high rated players now and it does not seem to be an issue (if it ever was).

Close to my goal of 900, finished the first 2 tournaments I've ever played and managed 881. I feel like I played below my potential every round so far so I think the 900+ is coming up by the end of the year. Good news is I'm getting used to tourney formats and decision making.