• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Augusta GA and Charlotte NC

Burritotoes

Birdie Member
I will be going sometime in the first half of November if my vacation gets approved.

I have played the courses at the IDGC in Augusta and was planning on playing the other area courses including the Hippodrome complex. Then I will be driving to Charlotte to play all the 2012 worlds courses.

Any other courses that are a can't miss? Should I not bother with some I plan on playing?

Also, this trip is contingent on my ability to do it on the cheap. I plan on camping. Any camping near the Hippodrome complex beside the IDGC which is relatively far away? What are my options near Charlotte?

Thanks for any help!
Cris

how long are you gonna be in charlotte? It takes a while to play all of the courses. Hell Renny gold is enough to take up most of a day.

Yes, all 14. I was planning in being in Charlotte for 5 days. My plans were to try and play 3 courses a day. Are the Charlotte area courses too long/hilly/wooded to make this possible?

No, you can do that. Just don't do Nevin, Renny Gold and RL Smith in the same day. Mix it up a little.

Keep in mind that Hornets Nest and Renny have 2 overlapping layouts. You might want to play both on each course.

Renny is just Renny gold now(no more Black for now) and the hornets overlay wasnt used during worlds so you may want to skip that to get more courses in.

There are a few courses on the way back down I-85 that you could play. :D Central, SC = Amazing and not too far off highway. (like 15min) Then you could swing by Royston, GA and play with me at my home course (only 9 holes though :( but alternate teepads so we manage :D) (best 9 holes in the state! :)) and I would say maybe go to Lawerenceville and play their coarse. (It's a nice course but not very challenging) They also have a pro shop right there before you turn onto the road to the park so that's a plus.

But that is only if you're playing on the way back. :D

In the wasteland between these two hotbeds, you might stop and play Earlewood in Columbia. It's a very fun, pretty short course, and a pretty convenient detour.

With a bit more detour there's a little course at Stoney Hill. But its availability depends on your exact schedule. You can, however, camp there for free.

There are a few courses on the way back down I-85 that you could play. :D Central, SC = Amazing and not too far off highway. (like 15min) Then you could swing by Royston, GA and play with me at my home course (only 9 holes though :( but alternate teepads so we manage :D) (best 9 holes in the state! :)) and I would say maybe go to Lawerenceville and play their coarse. (It's a nice course but not very challenging) They also have a pro shop right there before you turn onto the road to the park so that's a plus.

But that is only if you're playing on the way back.

I do plan on playing a course or two on the way back. Central looks great. I'll probably hit up Royston when I make a trip to Lake Russell, I'll def get in touch with you when I do.

In the wasteland between these two hotbeds, you might stop and play Earlewood in Columbia. It's a very fun, pretty short course, and a pretty convenient detour.

With a bit more detour there's a little course at Stoney Hill. But its availability depends on your exact schedule. You can, however, camp there for free.

I would love to play Stoney Hill, didn't realize it would only add a few miles to the trip. :thmbup: I'll PM you with the exact date when I get it nailed down.

Oh well you should definitely go up to Lula (10 min from Gainesville) on your way back if you want one of the best courses in the North east Georgia area.

Yes, all 14. I was planning in being in Charlotte for 5 days. My plans were to try and play 3 courses a day. Are the Charlotte area courses too long/hilly/wooded to make this possible?

lmao!!!

You'll will lose 20lbs in 5 days if you play all 14. I'd play these courses.....

Renny, Nevin, Hornets Nest, RL Smith, Bradford, Eastway, Kilbourne, Winget, and Angry Beaver. If you're still alive then start back at the top :D

the course in winnsboro is fun carolina adventure world...

I've heard some mixed reports about course maintenance (mowing). But it is reputed to be a good course, and quite convenient along that route.

I would love to play Stoney Hill, didn't realize it would only add a few miles to the trip. :thmbup: I'll PM you with the exact date when I get it nailed down.

I look forward to it and hope we can make it work.

I've heard some mixed reports about course maintenance (mowing). But it is reputed to be a good course, and quite convenient along that route.

When I played there a few months ago it was a little rough in spots. The weed growth on some of the open fairways was rather high, but didn't really hurt my round. You just need to keep your eye on your drive so you don't have to spend 30 minutes looking for it. But it is a fun course none the less.

No problem.

Days in no particular order:
North Side New-School - Bailey, Bradford, Nevin
Skirtin' the South Side - Eager Beaver, Angry Beaver, Idlewild
Best of the Best - Renny, RL Smith, Winget
Old-School Treats - Hornet's, Reedy
Secure All Valuables - Sugaw, Eastway, Kilborne

No problem.

North- north side: Bailey, Bradford
Northeast: Reedy Creek
Northwest: Hornets Nest, Nevin, RL Smith
East / central: Sugaw, Kilborne, Eastway
West: Renny
East: Idlewild
Southwest: Winget
South: Elon (Angry Beaver and Mule Trail)
Best of the best: that's very subjective. Read the reviews (if you haven't already) here on DGCR.
Secure your valuables : anywhere and everywhere. Not just here. Enjoy you trip. You can look on the CharlotteDGC web site for maps of all our courses.

No problem.

Lol secure all valuables. :thmbup:

No problem.

:thmbdown::thmbdown::thmbdown::thmbdown:

Winget is cool but is no where near the best of Charlotte IMO.

I'd rank RL Smith, Scrapyard, Nevin, Renny, Nest, Bradford, Angry Beaver, Reedy and Eastway over Wingate.

If somehow you've run out of those courses, check out Rankin Lake, Bradley Center and the new Goat Island over around Gastonia land.

Latest posts