• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Augusta Road Trip!

Gonna be in Augusta April 25-28

Been a few years since I trekked to this area...

Anything new or exciting I need to know? DG related of course...

I understand that Langley Pond has its pond back, after a few years of dam construction. I'm sure it's more exciting at full pool.

Looks like the Hippodrome courses are gone?

Looks like the Hippodrome courses are gone?

Yes, they're gone.

Augusta has IDGC (3 courses) & Langley Pond, a very different park-like Lake Olmstead, and some smaller courses that have been completely re-designed since I played them years ago, and a couple I haven't played. But IDGC & Langley are the stars.

(Plus, a little over an hour away, some Stoney Hill place, with 36 holes and no crowds. For what that's worth.)

Yes, they're gone.

Augusta has IDGC (3 courses) & Langley Pond, a very different park-like Lake Olmstead, and some smaller courses that have been completely re-designed since I played them years ago, and a couple I haven't played. But IDGC & Langley are the stars.

(Plus, a little over an hour away, some Stoney Hill place, with 36 holes and no crowds. For what that's worth.)

Gonna wait to see how my plans go for the last week of April, but what would be a good day (during the week) to tentatively trek up to Stoney Hill?

Gonna wait to see how my plans go for the last week of April, but what would be a good day (during the week) to tentatively trek up to Stoney Hill?

Whichever one that it's not raining.

With a couple of days' notice, any time should be fine. The course is open when we're home, which is most of the time, and much of my schedule is flexible. Only possible issues I know of are late afternoon, 5:00 or so, Wednesday and maybe Thursday.

There are two overlapping 18 hole layouts. You can play either, or both, which I mention just for you to decide how much time you want to commit, should you come.

With a couple of days' notice, any time should be fine. The course is open when we're home, which is most of the time, and much of my schedule is flexible. Only possible issues I know of are late afternoon, 5:00 or so, Wednesday and maybe Thursday.

There are two overlapping 18 hole layouts. You can play either, or both, which I mention just for you to decide how much time you want to commit, should you come.

I am primarily a morning golfer,
Long range plan as of 6pm one week is maybe Monday morning...

Will try to have a decision Sunday evening...

How are the bugs this time of year?
Mainly mosquitoes, but really any kind of annoying bugs?

How are the bugs this time of year?
Mainly mosquitoes, but really any kind of annoying bugs?

Oddly enough, we have few mosquitos at Stoney Hill. Lots of frogs, lots of bats, few mosquitos. I get caught off-guard when I go to other local courses and get assaulted by them. I can't say how it is at IDGC, right now. However, it has rained a lot recently -- we've had storms drop 4 and 3 inches -- and will be in the 80s later this week, so I wouldn't be surprised if the skeeters showed up (at other courses).

Chiggers are our main torment, with the grassy areas, but they won't show up until mid-May. Otherwise, I wouldn't think the insects would be too bad this time of year. (Though we did find a tick last week, which seems early, and both Stoney Hill and the Augusta courses are woods courses.)

Got in to Augusta late Sunday nite, looking at probably Wed morning.
Will try to contact you Tuesday.

Oddly enough, we have few mosquitos at Stoney Hill. Lots of frogs, lots of bats, few mosquitos. I get caught off-guard when I go to other local courses and get assaulted by them. I can't say how it is at IDGC, right now. However, it has rained a lot recently -- we've had storms drop 4 and 3 inches -- and will be in the 80s later this week, so I wouldn't be surprised if the skeeters showed up (at other courses).

Chiggers are our main torment, with the grassy areas, but they won't show up until mid-May. Otherwise, I wouldn't think the insects would be too bad this time of year. (Though we did find a tick last week, which seems early, and both Stoney Hill and the Augusta courses are woods courses.)
Doesn't look like I am gonna make it your way this week...sorry.

You owe me no apologies.

It's a beautiful week in Augusta, and there's lots of great golf to be had there. Have fun.

You could always stop by Pendleton King and play the friendliest course in America ... and then give it an actual honest review on here lol

We did this road trip a couple of years ago and stopped to play Pendleton King late in the day after we'd played Langley Pond. I couldn't get over the amount of homeless people and thugs hanging out and wandering the course smoking and drinking with their pit bulls running loose. Definitely one of the sketchier vibes I've ever seen on a disc golf course.

Latest posts