• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Austin: If I can only play 1 or 2...

justin

Double Eagle Member
I'm going to be in Austin, Tx mid Feb (from Boston, Ma). I will have time to play at least one course. I love fun over pure difficulty. Unique pin placements, water, and great roller holes make up my favorite elements. If a course is hard to follow (even with a map) please leave it off the list.

Please let me know what you think are the best 2 or 3 to checkout. I've read the DGCR page for just about every course in the area so I've got a few ideas but I would love to hear from those who have played. Please let me know if you ever need some suggestions for New England courses.

Top 5 Courses in Austin IMMHMFO:

1. East Metro Park (East)
2. Pease Park (Central)
3. Williamson County Park (North)
4. Cat Hollow / Brushy Creek (North)
5. Rivery Park (Farther North)

Hey Justin -- It's your Boston buddy, Luke. Far and away, my number one Austin recommendation is Pease Park. It's 18 holes, surprisingly close to downtown, and full of diverse terrain (water, elevation, woods). Easily in my top 10 out of 203. After that, I'm not sure which one to recommend. Brushy Creek is good, but you'll need a map. If you have a huge chunk of time, you could head out to Wimberley for the much-hyped Circle C courses. I've never played either of them, but have heard great things.

So hey, not to change the subject, but what's the latest on the Burlington course?

If you have a huge chunk of time, you could head out to Wimberley for the much-hyped Circle C courses. I've never played either of them, but have heard great things.

Do not do that!

These are the Wimberley courses: Circle R - Circ Hill DGC and Circle R - Rolling Meadow DGC, and per the website:

Circle R Ranch is closed to public play until further notice.

There was a posting on the PDGA board that John has the ranch up for sale right now.

ERic

I'd say Pease is the must play Austin course. It might not be the best course in the world but it is the most "classic" Austin course and a very popular one. Just ignore the tees. Oh and if you play it during a popular time (like noon on a weekend with great weather) be prepared to take it slow cause of crowds.
East Metro (east of Austin) is a very professional course with a lot of variety and IMO is Austin's best course.
Williamson County is a technical course with tons of trees. (its flat & no water though)
Searight is also a popular one. It is filled with trees and most are short par 3s.
A few years ago Id say Bartholomew, but its missing 3 baskets, and can be hard to follow (no signs) and maintanence is starting to lack.

So IMO:
1. Pease
2. East Metro
3. WillCo or Searight (depending on where you'll be)

Yes Cirlce R, in Wimberley, is closed (boo. first San Saba, now Wimberley???) and Circle C (in south Austin) is currently closed for repairs.

I greatly appreciate the input and hope to pay it back to each of you in time.

Looks like I'll be playing Pease. I love when distances to points of interest like mandos are marked on signs. I'm sure I'll only have time for 1 course and we're staying just south of Pease so that's a good proximity. Sorry to hear about Circle R. Like Luke, I had seen that online many teims and hoped to play there.

This is the preliminary could-we-live-there trip to Austin. We're so damn sick of Boston winters and it sure would be nice to not have to drive nearly an hour to a DG course!

Luke, thanks for asking about Burlington, Ma. They were supposed to dig the holes and put 5 or 10gal buckets in them before the ground freezes. That way they could potentially get the cement into the buckets and poles planted in the early spring even if the ground is still frozen. I still haven't driven up there to see if they got that done though. I saw some great Austin pics on Disctrips.com. You should check that site out ;)

Thanks, good to know, Justin. Hey, I didn't know you were considering a move... that's really cool! Austin is an awesome town, based on the two times I've been down there. Let's just make sure to get this Burlington course in the ground before you skip town, eh? :) And I'm still eyeing a spot in Belmont, so when the piles of snow finally melt, we'll have to put our heads together on that one.....

Absolutely. I've even got another person or two on NEFA who said they'd like help with a course. I'll let you know when I know more. I've played once since Oct and barely been online. I need to get back to people's PM's.

Hey, if I actually move I stand a chance at breaking the 100 courses played mark much sooner!

If you do end up having more time, and Pease is already under your belt - go north and play Brushy Creek. It got that cool southwestern feel with rocks, cactus, and brush. Pease is the must, but being from Boston - you'll appriciate playing a course unlike anything you could get North. Also the current pics on DGCR really don't do it justice.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1044

Enjoy!

Only 1 or 2 in Austin?

I was unable to track down the full initial question, but depending on how much time you have, I would definitely play one round out in Manor (East Met. Park).
It's not too far out of town(dep. on which part you are in) and it is really nice(cement tees/signs/etc.), new(less traffic), and wild(saw 3 armadillos two weeks ago).

After that just pick what you have time for. Zilker is a bit short and open for most experienced players, but that can be fun too, and it is so central. Pease is Austin's possible best known course, but often is highly trafficked as is Seawright now that Circle C is closed. If Circle C was open now, then this part of the conversation would be null, but it should be great when it is back up...championship caliber.

Brushy Creek is alright, and with enough travel time Williamson County is tough as hell and "in the country/woods" good stuff.

Maybe I have only confused more, but definitely check out Manor.

HAve fun out there!

--D

If you do end up having more time, and Pease is already under your belt - go north and play Brushy Creek. [...]
If you do: print the course layout map. You'll thank me for it later, especially on hole #5.

ERic

Looks like I'll be playing Pease. I love when distances to points of interest like mandos are marked on signs.
That was all me! :D I did those signs as a contractor with the Club.

I still really like the Pease signs because I had free reign to use new ideas and features. Mainly the intermediate distances like to the mandos, to landing zones, and to clear water hazards. Also the miniature paintings of each hole behind the hole number -- I think that's an awesome feature. Many of my buddies didn't notice for a long time that each painting is of THAT hole, then it trips them out.

Pease was a very fun project, and it helped me decide to go full throttle with my view of awesome DG tee signs. They'll be ready to debut soon. VERY different than what you see at Pease (or anywhere else), and MUCH cooler! :cool:

BTW -- Austin is great. Move here, it's better than there. :D

My wife says the only thing missing from the tee signs at pease is current wind speed and direction.

Thanks again to everyone. These are al great suggestions. Yes, I hope I like it down there but of course it depends mostly on my lady. We both grow more bitter with each New England winter. I started playing in 2006 and that winter didn't get cold and snowy until Feb, then last winter I got all geared up at REI and played some leagues and such -actually having fun in the cold. This year I'm just not into "braving" the elements and it's been a really cold winter so far.

The former Bostonian (now Austin converts) we're staying with are between Searight and Slaughter Creek in the area DGCR's map calls Sunset Valley. So Pease makes a lot of sense for where I'll be at. 2 weeks and I'll be there. We can't wait.

I'm thrilled to hear from Mr Tee Signs himself. The signs at Circle C (and I think they're the same at East Metro) were one of the attractions to add that to my mental list. Too bad they're closed.

I love the reason SRM suggested Bushy. Seeing things I can't see at home is just as great as playing a wonderful but similar-to-home terrain course. I'll print out a map for anything I have any chance of playing. Usually if I can't find a map (for a course on vacation) I just go someplace else.

In the same respect as Bushy if you're ever in New England I would recommend Devens which is wooded and the DGCR's "very hilly" description doesn't come close to what you're in for. Sadly, no pics. I'll have to take some next time.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1186
http://devensdiscgolf.com

Thanks again everyone.

If you're staying in Sunset Valley, Searight is going to be the closest disc golf course to you, and it's not a bad course, just not as good as Pease, and it's a bit easier with many short-to-mid holes. Unless you want to spend 3+ hours playing Pease I'd suggest going on a weekday before 3 p.m. or on the weekend before noon. Ever since Circle C closed for renovations Searite has been just as busy as Pease, but if you go at the same times I mentioned for Pease, it can be a very fast paced course that you can finish in under 1.5 hours. So if you've got an extra 2 hours in the morning-to-early afternoon Searight would be the perfect course to fill that void.

On a side note...coming to Austin in winter is going to make you fall in love with it, especially being from up North. The winter is by far the best season in Austin, and as such I have played disc golf almost every weekend for the last two months. 70 degrees and sunny in the middle of winter just can't be beat, and that's how it has been practically all winter long, although this winter has been even warmer than most, and I'm absolutely loving it. Then we get about 1 good month of spring in the 80's and then about 6-7 months of upper 90's to low 100's. Just something to keep in mind.

Just keep in mind that the Austin area is having one of the worst droughts ever, which really takes away from the natural beauty of Cental Texas. If we get spring rains all of the courses will be 10 times prettier in April than they have been the last year.

I'm getting on the plane in a few hours. Can't wait. Thanks everyone for your great suggestions. I've got the info for Pease, Searight, and Zilker (just in case and I hear the full 18 is in the ground) so I'm sure to have some fun at one of these courses. I don't expect any traffic issues as I'll most-likely be okaying in the AM on a weekday.

Latest posts