• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Avenger inconsistencies?

springy101

Bogey Member
I was looking for a new disc to take over my long fairly stable slot and was debating between an Avenger and Starfire. I took a trip down to the disc store and they didn't have a starfire so I picked up a 174 Z Avenger. When I first threw it I was hoping it would go pretty straight and then have a nice fade after about 300 feet, but I was really surprised when I turned it over into the ground. I was kind of confused but I kept throwing it on the course and it reminds of my Valkyrie I used to throw. From what I had been reading I thought these were supposed to be fairly overstable and my friend's 167 Z Avenger was a meathook and was hoping the same for this one. When I bought it I noticed it was a little domey but didn't think it would make this big of a difference. It's nice having a disc that I can easily s curve to about 350' but it wasn't exactly what I was looking for. Anybody else have a really understable Avenger?

Perhaps you picked up an SS instead?

Any Avenger I've thrown (or seen thrown) is a little more overstable than the Surge.

It's not an SS unless it's a misprint disc, which I am starting to think it is. If I were to look at the wing would there be a significant difference from it and the SS to compare?

That sucks man.

But on the side profile of the discs (the bottom part of the wing on the side profile) would be straighter on the SS and more of an arc on the Avenger.

Another thing that sucks is the huge difference between the Avenger and Avenger SS.

That sucks man.

But on the side profile of the discs (the bottom part of the wing on the side profile) would be straighter on the SS and more of an arc on the Avenger.

Another thing that sucks is the huge difference between the Avenger and Avenger SS.
I don't have an SS to compare to but it is definitely arc'ed, it looks similar to my Teebird's wing. And when I mentioned that the disc was domey, I mean D-O-M-E-Y, like the domiest disc I have ever seen. Would this account for all of its lack of stability?

There's so many Avengers I can't keep track of them all but my faves were Capt. America, Iron Man, Hawkeye, and Vision.

I don't have an SS to compare to but it is definitely arc'ed, it looks similar to my Teebird's wing. And when I mentioned that the disc was domey, I mean D-O-M-E-Y, like the domiest disc I have ever seen. Would this account for all of its lack of stability?

Maybe, most of the Avengers Ive held are not domey.

My Avenger SS is fairly flat on the top. When thrown w/ alot of snap, it tends to curve right. If I throw it hyzer, it flattens out, and goes straight, then curves left.
I mainly use it on right dog leg holes, otherwise, it stays in the bag.

It's not an SS unless it's a misprint disc, which I am starting to think it is. If I were to look at the wing would there be a significant difference from it and the SS to compare?

I got a misprint disc that has an Avenger SS stamp, but it is clearly an Avenger. The top is identical, but an Avenger SS has a very small concave in its bevel. The Avenger lip is has a pronounced downturn on its bevel.

I hope that's clear.

There is another guy on here who got an Avenger SS that sounds like it flew more like a regular Avenger. Maybe you could trade.

My understanding is that dome seems to affect the flight of Avengers quite a bit. The flat Z Avenger I had was nice and overstable but still long. The flat D Avenger I have is really overstable with no glide. The domey X Avenger I have started off kind of overstable but has broken in to being pretty straight and long.

Must be the disc. I used an ESP Avenger for exactly what you're talking about and my buddy uses a Z Avenger right now for that same roll. He doesn't turn it over and he throws 400+ no problem

Latest posts