• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] avenger ss distances

pzacch05

Par Member
im more or less just looking to see what distances people are getting out of different weights of the avenger ss. i kind of want to see the distance potential this disc has in the different discraft plastics.

just post disc weight/plastic/distance and that would be great. thanks again

This will all be dependant of skill.
A low power player with clean form would likely get the most from pro d.
A low pwr plr w/ dirty form would get most from esp.
A med power player might like cryztal as they're beefier.
A high pwr plr likely wouldn't carry the mold unless for rollers ;)

Max weight Z goes 450'+ feet especially with a tailwind. One of the farthest flying discs Discraft makes!

This will all be dependant of skill.
A low power player with clean form would likely get the most from pro d.
A low pwr plr w/ dirty form would get most from esp.
A med power player might like cryztal as they're beefier.
A high pwr plr likely wouldn't carry the mold unless for rollers ;)

which is why i was just asking. im curious as to what people get out of their avenger ss not for my own personal use but just for ****s and gigs ya know.

but i was wondering why pro d and esp are representative of those skill levels?

Cryztal Z / 170-174g marked (I think it was 171-172g) / 350' to 400' plus on a slight hyzer release / understable (hyzer flip). I seem to throw 350' very consistently without pushing my limits. I've gotten over 400' a few times, perhaps 450' tops.

I also threw a ~165g FLX one but gave it to my buddy within the first week after it must have landed on a small rock and caused a severe gouge. I loved the way the plastic felt but I will not buy another b/c of this durability issue.

For a minute there, it became the longest disc I was throwing easily, and nearly knocked the Valkyrie outta my bag permanently. In my opinion, it's like a larger diameter (perhaps more controllable) Valkyrie.

Releasing on a 20-30 degree hyzer angle with serious snap, it would consistently flip over for a bit then flex back out at the very end, gaining serious distance by that time. I did some shorter range low speed sidearms and it behaved kinda like an Orc, getting a nice s-curve. I would not recommend throwing it on a flat release backhand unless you are looking for immediate severe turnover, and would not recommend for high-speed flicks.

Hope that helps.

I've got a z Ave. SS about 170 that I use a lot. Hyzerflips nicely and then sails dead straight for me about to 300'. For reference, I can throw leopards and teebirds dead straight that far also.

The glide on this thing is what I feel gets the most controlled distance.

I really just made those up, but anyways, pro d would be the easiest to turn- I've seen a lot of low pwr plrs use z's but more like a straight driver, not really getting full flights. Esp for med pp so they can have a good mix of stability and glide. I actually prefer z when/if using them, preferablly around 170-172.

170 Z Avenger SS ... hyzer flip it into an S curve ... 375'-400' pretty easily ... NEVER have thrown it into a headwind before lol

I have tested three Z avenger ss this past month....two max weight one 170....all diffrent colors....I got the discs to improve my backhands since I mostly FH. They all threw generally the same. The heavier ones seemed more influenced by snap....meaning they would hyzer flip to a strong right trun got straight then fade. The 170 would turn slightly go straiger longer then gentely fade left. All three would end up in about the same area about 300-350ft.

I also tested my friends flx avenger ss, and I had trouble throwing it nearly as well as the Z. The FLX was just inconsistant...If I hyzer flipped it, half the time it would flip up the other half it would hold it. If i threw it flat, it would S right to left half the time... the other just turn right.
*Given it was over 100 degrees the days i tested the flx and those discs dont like the heat.

I have also tested hyzer flipping these discs FH.... it can be done and go a long way, but like someone said earlier they are a finess disc...just a few degress off on the hyzer angle or power, and it might trun left the whole way or hold the hyzer....it will S out for easy distance with throw well.

Being one of the aforementioned "lower power" players, The AvSS Pro-D is my favorite disc. It starts straight, goes right, then finishes a little left for me. I have parked a few holes with it I would have never parked otherwise.

Distance with it is 240-280.

I have a SUPER flippy ESP that I throw about 325 on extreme annies and 375+ on hyzer flips. Its so flippy that I mainly use it as a roller though

170-175, RHBH, goes 300-350 ft consistently, good BH roller as well.

Good luck with them. I like them but I throw other plastic more consistent and with better distance.

darren
razorsmith.com

z 167g : 320' in the field (a disc i picked up for a friend and couldn't help but take out and throw...)(straight i might add)

I throw 172 ESP Avenger SS's for Rollers and they BOMB! Throw them out on a big anny line and let em come down and roll...money rollers right thurr.