• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Average Courses that have a Must Play Hole

cant you go diagonally to the right or is that a mando?

I mean I guess you could if there wasnt a wall of trees in front of you. The only way you can go diagonal is to throw a huge thumber and pray. By the way I think that hole is dumb and ridiculous, it is the worst hole I've ever played. It goes against every standard of good disc golf hole design.

Last edited:
I mean I guess you could if there wasnt a wall of trees in front of you. The only way you can go diagonal is to throw a huge thumber and pray. By the way I think that hole is dumb and ridiculous, it is the worst hole I've ever played. It goes against every standard of good disc golf hole design.

It can't be that bad, because I par-ed it, remember? If you can get around the corner with your first shot, you lay up with the second shot, and land in the basket with the 3rd shot.

It can't be that bad, because I par-ed it, remember? If you can get around the corner with your first shot, you lay up with the second shot, and land in the basket with the 3rd shot.

right, but how many people have you ever seen get a 2 on the hole? I bet none. and I don't think that many good players get a 4 on it either. It's just a hole where people get 3's, because it's too hard to get a two and therefore you just play two easy shots to get the easy putt. There's no score variation, and that doesn't really make for a good hole. I would rather play a 160' straight shot than that hole, because there is so much pressure to get a 2 that someone will probably screw it up, even a good player.

I will add hole 16 at Creekside park outside Harrisburg PA......this site does not show the new elevated tee perhaps 30-40 feet above the completely flat course below! Hole shoots down a tight tree gap and then down a long fairway to a protected pin perhaps 600+ feet away.....just a marvel of a hole that makes the course IMO!

I would recommend checking out Centennial Park in Toronto (Etobicoke), Canada. Despite its less than stellar reviews, the course has some amazing holes such as the cliff shot on #18 (a great view of the park and city) and the challenging and beautiful #23 which stars in a YouTube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV7KkfvLaHM). Just playing the last nine holes #19-27 alone are worth visiting this park.

I figured I would try to revive this thread especially since recently playing a few Virginia courses with remarkable standout holes on rather low rated courses. Poor House #18

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?p=course_pics/3711/995c094d.jpg
comes to mind (a str8 chute through the woods down the side of a mountain....makes the stop here worthwhile)
I also really enjoyed Hole 18 at Kiwani DGC in VA...just a great hole on an avg course

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?p=course_pics/787/f331fac8.jpg
Finally hole #8 at tiny 9 hole Wilson College in PA was a gem that would stand out on any course

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?p=course_pics/2822/9d2e8e72.jpg.

Again this thread is seeking great holes on not so great courses so if the course is rated highly Im not intereseted I want to discover great holes that we might be missing out on due to the lackluster nature of the overall course.

I would recommend checking out Centennial Park in Toronto (Etobicoke), Canada. Despite its less than stellar reviews, the course has some amazing holes such as the cliff shot on #18 (a great view of the park and city) and the challenging and beautiful #23 which stars in a YouTube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV7KkfvLaHM). Just playing the last nine holes #19-27 alone are worth visiting this park.

Awesome hole...but why do the first few guys keep throwing at that innocent mexican guy lmao!

nice looking hole...how many discs did those guys go fishing for though?

Down here in Mobile, Springhill Hobbit park gets very mixed reviews due to natural tees and lots of high brush in the summer, but probably has one of the most interesting shots of any course in mobile. Hole 7 has about a 200-250ft drive across an open field, then goes up about 50' at a 45 degree angle through brush to the pin. Hole 8 then throws off the hill onto the field below,

Holes 9 and 10 (incorrect picture, hole was moved) then do a similar move, but require hyzers to get around trees on the hill.

nice looking hole...how many discs did those guys go fishing for though?

Down here in Mobile, Springhill Hobbit park gets very mixed reviews due to natural tees and lots of high brush in the summer, but probably has one of the most interesting shots of any course in mobile. Hole 7 has about a 200-250ft drive across an open field, then goes up about 50' at a 45 degree angle through brush to the pin. Hole 8 then throws off the hill onto the field below,

Holes 9 and 10 (incorrect picture, hole was moved) then do a similar move, but require hyzers to get around trees on the hill.

7 looks really fun
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?p=course_pics/1860/578d4ff0.jpg

Not so sure about 8 LOL!

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?p=course_pics/1860/907c95f9.jpg

I don't have a picture, but there is one hole at Panthorn Park in Southington, CT that is noteworthy. The course itself needs some improvement, but I believe that it was hole #5 that has a 10' round water OB called the "hot tub" three feet in front of the pin. The hole is a potential ace run, but if you short your drive in front of the basket, you risk re-driving or putting with a circle 3.

I played this hole with a friend. I landed 5' to the right of the OB. His disc came in at the same angle, just 5' to the left, barely scraped the ground on its way into the water and I ended up with a two and he ended up with a circle 3. Very memorable.

If you're heading north (from PA) and end up in New England, stop off and play Hodges Village Dam dgc in Oxford, MA.

The original # 8 hole (not the alternate tee) is the one hole I mention if someone asks me to "state a "perfect" disc golf hole".

It's:
- Wicked scenic
- Can be deuced with an excellent 300+ foot accurate tee shot
- Can be pared by someone not able to throw 250 feet - by NOT going over the channel with your tee shot (putter short of the rip-rap, second into the gap, make your putt)
- Can be 5'd (or worse) if you don't make it across

The rest of the course is decent but not spectacular (at least not yet!).

Karl

If you're heading north (from PA) and end up in New England, stop off and play Hodges Village Dam dgc in Oxford, MA.

The original # 8 hole (not the alternate tee) is the one hole I mention if someone asks me to "state a "perfect" disc golf hole".

It's:
- Wicked scenic
- Can be deuced with an excellent 300+ foot accurate tee shot
- Can be pared by someone not able to throw 250 feet - by NOT going over the channel with your tee shot (putter short of the rip-rap, second into the gap, make your putt)
- Can be 5'd (or worse) if you don't make it across

The rest of the course is decent but not spectacular (at least not yet!).

Karl

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?p=course_pics/3563/bffaa2d8.jpg

That looks like a winner and I would never have considered that course...exactly why I started this thread!

I don't have a picture, but there is one hole at Panthorn Park in Southington, CT that is noteworthy. The course itself needs some improvement, but I believe that it was hole #5 that has a 10' round water OB called the "hot tub" three feet in front of the pin. The hole is a potential ace run, but if you short your drive in front of the basket, you risk re-driving or putting with a circle 3.

I played this hole with a friend. I landed 5' to the right of the OB. His disc came in at the same angle, just 5' to the left, barely scraped the ground on its way into the water and I ended up with a two and he ended up with a circle 3. Very memorable.

Again sounds like another hole I would likely have missed if not for this thread and the replies..thanks Brian!

Pride Park in Northern KY is a bit overgrown and hard to play at times, but hole #3 involves maybe the only "graveyard shot" in existance.

Fuller Park in Barnwell, SC has one.
9a5a1def.jpg

One of my favorite 9 holers.

Talking about lakes and dams in MA - this one is very memorable Buffumville Lake in Charlton MA - hole 16. 571' off the top of the dam out onto a peninsula. Around 60' drop. Trees in the middle to navigate. The picture on its page is poor - it deserves much better!

ad06efc4.jpg

And actually, the hole 16 at Buffumville shown is the "Am" tee...for the tree that's barely visible on the right of the pic is actuall WAY off to the left if you're on the "Pro" tee...making it either a totally over-water RHBH hyzer or a mostly over-land anhy.

Karl

Latest posts