• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Average Courses that have a Must Play Hole

#12, 13, 16, 17 and 18 at Pratt Park in Fredericksburg, VA. Some of the best woods holes in VA.

#8 at Munden Pt. in Virginia Beach. Depends on what you're looking for, but in my view this is a truly scenic hole on an otherwise pretty but unremarkable course.

#15 at Rockburn Branch, Elkridge, MD. This is definitely an above average course, but #15 is a 5-rated hole on a cool 4-rated course.

Last edited:
#15 at Rockburn Branch, Elkridge, MD. This is definitely an above average course, but #15 is a 5-rated hole on a cool 4-rated course.

Not only #15, while it is the best there are a hand-full others (6,7,9,11,13) that are 5-rated in my book. Rockburn is the one course of all the Maryland/NOVA courses i've played (besides Hawk Hollow) where I'm excited to tee off every hole in Maryland.

It's so easy to get to off of I-95, nobody passing through should skip it.

3 for me

1. #14 at Boyd Hill in Rock Hill, SC. 402 foot hole that can force you to play over a small creek twice & up a hill to the basket. Great hole. No pic available.

2. #16 at Bell & Howard in Statesville, NC. 385 ft downhill shot (about 25 - 30 foot drop) with deep creek on left & thick woods on right. This entire back 9 has some very good holes that more than make up for a less than stellar front 9.

View from tee pad. With leaves on trees, fairway is much tighter.
a0375c78.jpg

3. #4 at Holmes Park in Greenville, SC. 321 foot uphill shot through the trees to a basket behind another, big tree.

Tee shot
ea8d7195.jpg

Approach shot
d6dc3f78.jpg

I think a good course to play even though it is probably a lower rated course (not sure what you mean by lower though) is Burns Park Blue course in Little Rock, AR. The course hosts many Southern Nationals tournaments and has hosted their Pro Championship a few times if I'm not mistaken. As far as great holes, #5 comes to my mind. Elevated tee and two creeks cross the fairway in about the place most people land their drives. A fence and OB guard the left, and right is easy to go to, but the tall trees and their placement make this not seem like a good idea. Most holes are tunnel shots through the woods, and can easily be par'd by hitting the fairway, but there are a couple of open bombs that are great. The course is good enough to be a 4-4.5 in my opinion, but the lack of signs and difficulty in navigating for someone who has never played makes it lower rated. I would be glad to guide anyone that wants to try it out.

Corbett, OR
Rooster Rock - East

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1775&mode=ci

I really like this course but it gets a bad rap for being too "haggard" if you will. Yes the fairways are skinny and there are trees everywhere, yes the rough is REALLY ROUGH, and yes sometimes its just downright ridiculous. However, I always have a blast when I come here. This course has one of the biggest drop-off holes I have ever seen. Hole 4 is only 201' long but has probably a 150' drop! Also hole 8 is great, a big dip in the fairway with a nasty ravine on the left. Maybe I just like extreme golf but most reviewers dont seem to like it. There is another 9 hole on site and most people tend to stick to the well groomed and defined fairways of the west course (weaklings! jk).

Hole 4
3cb3fbd5.jpg

Hole 8
5ac8fcee.jpg

Branstrom DGC in Fremont, Michigan, Hole #16. Nearly the whole course has tight fairways that require control and precision. Then you come out to hole #16 and its a huge wide open downhill shot. It was great to let loose and rip one after playing so many tight holes. Maybe some will knock it for being too open and easy, but I really enjoyed it. Also, the picture does not do the elevation justice. Last side note, Bill Mckenzie, the owner of Flip City helped design this course and its not too far away. You can play both in a day.

a925fc72.jpg

***After posting I noticed that Branstrom's rating went up since I played it. So it may not totally fit your bill of a mediocre course with a great hole. Its a pretty darn good course too.***

Last edited:
I forgot about this one, Civitan Park in Birmingham (Trussville), AL. This is one that has a couple of Fantastic holes.
Hole #2 Teebox
d8a1b3bb.jpg

Basket#2, looking back toward the tee
Civitn2.jpg

Hole 18
mms_picture-17.jpg

17 is pretty sweet too, but I just didn't get a pic of it. The rest of this course plays through an open park. It's a nice park, along the river, but its nothing like the 2nd & 3rd holes, and 17 & 18.