• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Average distance

KniceZ

Double Eagle Member
Has anyone ever seen ever seen statistics on the average length of a DG hole?

Just curious given the focus on max distance a warp speed drivers.

I have no idea what the average hole length is, but I guarantee that you don't need a warp speed driver to reach it. I'm guessing your don't need any driver.

Average in one part of the country is going to be quite different than another. Here in Arizona it would probably be around 350', as our style of golf courses are long and wide open. My guess is the golf courses on the east coast are much more tightly wooded, so the hole lengths are realtively shorter on average.

I'm not sure about the national avg, east coast, or west coast, but my home course in Cincinnati from the shorts is 344 and 445 from the longs.

You have to take into account all the little park style 9 holers in the average too, especially in areas like Chicago where those courses are prevalent. Around here I would be willing to bet the average is down around 250-275'.

how many people read through this thread then saw what mashnut wrote and just left because they were about to type the same thing?

:)

yeah, what mashnut said.

It changes per type of course and where it is. Some courses are in a tight area, others have lots of room to work with. I'd say in DFW TX, not counting the 9hole courses. 280'-325'.

You have to take into account all the little park style 9 holers in the average too, especially in areas like Chicago where those courses are prevalent. Around here I would be willing to bet the average is down around 250-275'.
One thing about a lot of said courses is that at least six of the holes are below the course average and one outlying long hole bumps the average up, making the course appear longer on its info page than it actually is until you see the individual hole distances, or go play the course.

As far as figuring out the average distance nationwide or worldwide, well, don't even get me started on courses with multiple tees and pin positions, particularly on holes where the distance change is significant.

if i had to guess i'd say about 275. yeah there are 1,000+ foot gargantuans out there but there are way more 200 footers to help bring the average down.

284 feet 8 inches, from the 2010 PDGA directory of those courses that had either a total length or alternative total length or both listed.

This breaks down to 307 feet 11 inches for the regular tees, and 247 feet 6 inches for the alternates.

25% of courses listed regular length at less than 258 feet per hole. Half the courses had an average hole length longer (or shorter) than 303 feet. 25% had an average hole length longer than 345 feet.

I've done a little statistical analysis on 10 local courses (VA) and the top ten (just Selah lakeside) in the country. For each one I took the long (pro) length for each hole.

local average = 350
Top 10 = 397

When I figure out how to inbed an excel graph, I'll show the histgrams.

As stated before, this varies as to what kind of course are you playing.

In Pittsburgh:

If you want to play one of the 2 better "Par 3" courses, yeah probably get by with control drivers.

Knob Hill - 271 avg
Schenley - 255 avg

If you get more ambitious and want to play one of the top 2 "Championship" courses, having a distance driver is useful on many holes.

Deer Lakes - 403 avg
Moraine - 392 avg

( All measurements are from middle tees )

284 feet 8 inches, from the 2010 PDGA directory of those courses that had either a total length or alternative total length or both listed.

This breaks down to 307 feet 11 inches for the regular tees, and 247 feet 6 inches for the alternates.

25% of courses listed regular length at less than 258 feet per hole. Half the courses had an average hole length longer (or shorter) than 303 feet. 25% had an average hole length longer than 345 feet.

theres your answer-the average hole is a putter drive.

Interesting. I would have expected it to be lower too.

Latest posts