• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Avery Clear Label / DX plastic tips

Sford13

Has anyone used the avery clear label for stencils. They come in 8.5 x 11 sheets and seem like they would be ideal. Not sure how they would hold up to the dyeing process though. Figured if anyone had tried it they would be here and could offer an opinion as to if it worked or not.

Also looking for advice on doing DX or Pro D plastic. I understand the result will not be as good as others. But are there any tips to help get the best results possible from those. I was thinking of using a dry RIT made into a paste by acetone. Any opinions there.

I have never been able to dye DX, Pro D or Proline Rhyno material. I woul dlove some suggestions as well. I use Rit dyes.

I just had some laying around left overs from some project somewhere along the line. They would be expensive compared to contact paper if you did not already have them on hand.

Well since I am just starting out in the sport, I figure I would go with throw away type stuff. I am buying alot of different discs and trying to decide what I like the best before spending a bunch of money on the high quality plastics. I mean if I am going to throw into a pond, or tree, or weeds, or brush and not get my plastic back. I would rather it be $6 plastic and not $15. So until I gain some control and consistency on my drives and all I will stick with the cheap stuff. Also since this is my first attempt at dyeing disc, I am looking more to get the techniques down and not stellar graphic effects I could get with using higher dollar plastic. If I screw it up on a DX I am out $6 and a throw away disc. If I do it on the more expensive I might end up with a disc I am embarrassed to use.

I just had some laying around left overs from some project somewhere along the line. They would be expensive compared to contact paper if you did not already have them on hand.

Might as well give it a shot. I can't imagine the glue will withstand the heat of the dye though. Trying it on a DX disc just for testing purposes sounds like a good idea.

dx plastic suckssss, throw your dx plastic in a pond and buy some star plastic or esp

There is nothing wrong with throwing DX plastic (Dyeing with it is another story, though). There are a lot of advantages to it, actually. Probably the biggest is that you can work through the beat-in cycle quicker to allow you to really learn what a disc does at various stages of wear.

I personally throw premium plastics myself but have been schooled on several occasions by people with DX plastic. While I throw a Buzzz, there are a lot of Roc (one of the most popular discs of ALL TIME) throwers out there that have no other choice but to buy DX unless they want to spend exorbitant prices for Champs and Stars.

Last edited:
From my limited experience with dying PRO plastic, you want the dye to be uber-hot to get it to seep in a little better. But still, I dyed a Pro Pig with black dye, and it came out green, so I'd have to agree that it's only good for practice and one color dyes.

Here's the Pig.

From my limited experience with dying PRO plastic, you want the dye to be uber-hot to get it to seep in a little better. But still, I dyed a Pro Pig with black dye, and it came out green, so I'd have to agree that it's only good for practice and one color dyes.

Here's the Pig.

BTW i'm loving that disc so far...

Here's a few DX putters I've put some dye on. They look kinda chalky, like old dye jobs as soon as you finish them.

Attachments

• HPIM8435.jpg
    HPIM8435.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 34
  • HPIM8434.jpg
    HPIM8434.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 35
  • josh.jpg
    josh.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 29
I have had some success dying white Pro D plastic. It seems as though it takes the dye, but not nearly as strong or vibrant as other plastics. Here are two Pro D discs that I was able to dye. I have never attempted DX because I have heard so many people that have had problems.

Attachments

• Buzzz.jpg
    Buzzz.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Banger.jpg
    Banger.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 13
I've heard using rit and acetone instead of water helps "burn" the dye in better and quicker. Never personally tried it for fear of melting the disc.
I use higher heat for dx discs and longer soak times. I'm impatient, so the max time I've ever tried is 30 min. Dye usually is faint and depending on the color of the disc not the color intended. ex: black dye, white disc. Resulted in Grey.
I would recommend Avery or Oracal intermediate sign vinyl. 15in x 10yd roll. you can dye 30 discs for less than $1 per stencil.
Only dyed about 40 discs so far so my experience is limited.

I've dyed with rit and acetone but before learning of vinyl for stencil. I used elmers glue and it worked ok but very time consuming and the acetone starts eating through the glue. I also painted it on with cotton and it left a cool grain to the disc. I don't know how well the vinyl would hold up to acetone.

Latest posts