• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Avery

I got a chance to talk to Avery at Lemon lake the week before worlds. The winnie had just pulled up and Avery, Val, and Nate got out. At first we sort of didn't want to bother them, but figured what the hell, better now than once they start practicing for worlds. Couldn't have been a more gracious and approachable person. He really took the time to talk to us, be friendly, sign some junk, and take a few pictures. I left having a lot of respect for him and Val after that.

The same day we actually met up with E-Mac, Liz Lopez, and Paige Davis, and all were equally as gracious and pleasant.

I will say, Avery IS a big mofo..lol. I'm not big by any stretch, and I felt like a child standing next to him =P

av-chris.jpg

Avery is truly a world class pro. He has always been willing to listen and give feedback, and is a great ambassador for the game.

I'm 6'3" ~235lbs if that's anything to go by. He's a big dude.

You know who else seemed to amaze me regarding their size was Jay Reading. Both him and Avery were massive compared to the rest of the lot. Then when you see one of those guys next to say Eric McCabe they look like Godzilla. :)

I got a chance to talk to Avery at Lemon lake the week before worlds. The winnie had just pulled up and Avery, Val, and Nate got out. At first we sort of didn't want to bother them, but figured what the hell, better now than once they start practicing for worlds. Couldn't have been a more gracious and approachable person. He really took the time to talk to us, be friendly, sign some junk, and take a few pictures. I left having a lot of respect for him and Val after that.

The same day we actually met up with E-Mac, Liz Lopez, and Paige Davis, and all were equally as gracious and pleasant.

I will say, Avery IS a big mofo..lol. I'm not big by any stretch, and I felt like a child standing next to him =P

av-chris.jpg

I'm jealous of you except for the hand crushing it looks like he's putting on you.

Too bad the OP had to play with him at sunset tho, no good holes for him to rip.

I'm jealous of you except for the hand crushing it looks like he's putting on you.

Too bad the OP had to play with him at sunset tho, no good holes for him to rip.
They change the layout for the GCC. There are a couple that are over 700' and he was bombing them.

oh little Avery. I've seen that kid grow up. You guys should have known him back when he wasn't a superstar yet and played advanced in Va. It actually shows what hard work can do.

You know who else seemed to amaze me regarding their size was Jay Reading. Both him and Avery were massive compared to the rest of the lot. Then when you see one of those guys next to say Eric McCabe they look like Godzilla. :)

jay is a really nice guy too. we might as well call this thread: "every disc golf pro is alright"

jay is a really nice guy too. we might as well call this thread: "every disc golf pro is alright"

It really does seem that every time someone meets any pro in person they've had a good experience despite some negative feelings toward some pros based on videos and second hand stories.

I partied with him, Val, Barsby and Nate doss at a sushi bar for the Socal Vs Norcal tourney in Santa Maria Ca. Long night of Sushi, Saki and Karaoke. Super cool guys and easy going. Took some sick footage of an in the bag interview while we were faded but had to take it down due to SOME players bitching and complaining. Avery told me to put it in the Murder Archives. LOL

What? Don't tell me Doss got mad because he was lit on camera? Or was it Mitchell from his one second background cameo?lol

The one thing that blew me away was the amount of spin he was putting on those discs. One of his drives hit a fence that was about 400' out, and the disc hit the ground and was kicking dirt up all over the place, then it climbed half-way up the fence. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.