• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Axiom] Axiom Crave, FAIRWAY DRIVER?!

Making amends. Will get it onto the course tomorrow with a couple specific Anhyzer shots in mind. Looking forward.

Attachments

• EDA0CDBE-4598-4F05-88F7-ED07D0EB88D0.jpg
    EDA0CDBE-4598-4F05-88F7-ED07D0EB88D0.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Question for anyone who has thrown L64 Explorer. I have 172g one in opto that is domey, which makes it too glidey for a good fairway for middle of the road fairway driver use in any sort of headwind. Have a couple baseline plastic ones also which is flat and lacks much in the way of glide so really just serves purpose of having multiple for field practice. Looking at the Crave to fill that main fairway driver slot that has enough glide to be good enough until the wind really picks up. Thoughts

Have an Opto-X Wysocki Explorer which is flat as a board and awesome as a speed 7 wind disc. Early 90s jolly rancher Pro champ Firebird for 9spd headwind.

Last edited:
Question for anyone who has thrown L64 Explorer. I have 172g one in opto that is domey, which makes it too glidey for a good fairway for middle of the road fairway driver use in any sort of headwind. Have a couple baseline plastic ones also which is flat and lacks much in the way of glide so really just serves purpose of having multiple for field practice. Looking at the Crave to fill that main fairway driver slot that has enough glide to be good enough until the wind really picks up. Thoughts

Have an Opto-X Wysocki Explorer which is flat as a board and awesome as a speed 7 wind disc. Early 90s jolly rancher Pro champ Firebird for 9spd headwind.

I've only just started throwing a Crave (to test out)

In my 7ish speed fairways I use a Neo Instinct and the Royal Rage 2 (Instinct but in "Gold Line" plastic basically). In essence...an Explorer

I also use Visions.

For me the Crave seems to fit between the two. It's not as HSS as the Instinct which I can really get on with an anhyzer and have it flex back. The Crave also isn't as LSS as the Instinct.

The Crave is more HSS than the Vision but a bit slower and perhaps a bit less glide.

I can hyzer flip Visions to flat and straight. Turnovers and rollers.

Given the versatility of the Vision I can't see the Crave beating it out.

I'm at altitude and given the flight differences between the Crave and Instinct I'd be hard pressed to suggest the Crave could replace an Explorer at lower altitudes.

I would expect that the Crave wouldn't perform hyzers or flexes as well. I would expect the Crave to be a lot straighter and possibly shorter.

I would think you'd want to pair the 2 discs. If the Opto Explorer is "too glidey" (i.e. doesn't have the HSS you need) I would not expect the Crave, which has a -1 turn to the Explorer's 0, to perform better in that slot.

I do like the flight of the Crave and the hand feel is nice.

I'm trying to determine if I can fit the Crave between my Truths and Vision just for some straight shots like the Truth gives me but a bit longer without having to get to the Vision and potentially dial back the arm speed a bit.

I would think a more ideal set up would be Crave, Opto Explorer (or Gold Line if they make them), Opto-X Explorer.

That would cover your hyzer flip to straight and turnovers, hyzer flip to flat with hyzer finish baby hyzers, and hyzers and flexes.

I throw the Crave a lot. If you are expecting it to handle headwinds better than your Explorer, it won't.

It is very workable and holds angles well and I can range distances with it really well. It's my do-all fairway of choice right now. That being said, if I'm dealing with a moderate amount of headwind it stays in the bag in favor of something else. I've had it flip and drift right on me trying to throw it into what I didn't think was much of a headwind.

I throw the Crave a lot. If you are expecting it to handle headwinds better than your Explorer, it won't.

It is very workable and holds angles well and I can range distances with it really well. It's my do-all fairway of choice right now. That being said, if I'm dealing with a moderate amount of headwind it stays in the bag in favor of something else. I've had it flip and drift right on me trying to throw it into what I didn't think was much of a headwind.

I do not throw the explorer.. I dabbled with the Crave as a wind disc, and fairway of course but the wind was a bit of an issue. Great do all disc though... but for how stable the few I have are, I expected better wind performance haha. Always felt like a second rate volt to me

I bagged a 157N tesla instead of a 165ish crave but it doesn't carve quite the same, I never got any of the flippy craves though. My eclipse crave is the closest to "flippy"

Recently went back to a Relay/cosmic Relay/Volt/ Tesla kind of deal... but I haven't used the Tesla much, the storms are coming though.

I've only just started throwing a Crave (to test out)

In my 7ish speed fairways I use a Neo Instinct and the Royal Rage 2 (Instinct but in "Gold Line" plastic basically). In essence...an Explorer

I also use Visions.

For me the Crave seems to fit between the two. It's not as HSS as the Instinct which I can really get on with an anhyzer and have it flex back. The Crave also isn't as LSS as the Instinct.

The Crave is more HSS than the Vision but a bit slower and perhaps a bit less glide.

I can hyzer flip Visions to flat and straight. Turnovers and rollers.

Given the versatility of the Vision I can't see the Crave beating it out.

I'm at altitude and given the flight differences between the Crave and Instinct I'd be hard pressed to suggest the Crave could replace an Explorer at lower altitudes.

I would expect that the Crave wouldn't perform hyzers or flexes as well. I would expect the Crave to be a lot straighter and possibly shorter.

I would think you'd want to pair the 2 discs. If the Opto Explorer is "too glidey" (i.e. doesn't have the HSS you need) I would not expect the Crave, which has a -1 turn to the Explorer's 0, to perform better in that slot.

I do like the flight of the Crave and the hand feel is nice.

I'm trying to determine if I can fit the Crave between my Truths and Vision just for some straight shots like the Truth gives me but a bit longer without having to get to the Vision and potentially dial back the arm speed a bit.

I would think a more ideal set up would be Crave, Opto Explorer (or Gold Line if they make them), Opto-X Explorer.

That would cover your hyzer flip to straight and turnovers, hyzer flip to flat with hyzer finish baby hyzers, and hyzers and flexes.

Thanks for the in depth reply. That actually could be a great solution. Basically your recommendation of Crave, Opto Explorer, Opto-X Explorer, I am doing with Champ Leopard3, Opto Explorer, Opto-X Explorer.

I threw a buddy's Crave on the course, on a hole I'd normally throw a turnover Eagle. I threw the Crave slight hyzer expecting it to be flippier than the Champ Eagle. It wasn't. Went straight for a while then faded out about the same as an Eagle. Had I thrown it on the Eagle turnover line, it would have been good. Think it was cosmic Neutron.

This was only one throw, so it could have been a bad effort.

Last edited:
I threw a buddy's Crave on the course, on a hole I'd normally throw a turnover Eagle. I threw the Crave slight hyzer expecting it to be flippier than the Champ Eagle. It wasn't. Went straight for a while then faded out about the same as an Eagle. Had I thrown it on the Eagle turnover line, it would have been good. Think it was cosmic Neutron.

That's why I like the Crave. It tends to hold lines well. Start it on hyzer and it will typically finish on a hyzer. Might stand up a little if you put some mustard on it but generally holds the hyzer. Same goes for flat shots and anhyzers. Just pretty much holds it. There aren't a lot of wooded courses here but there are holes where hitting lines and angles are more important than biting off max distance and that's where I think the Crave excels. Beaver Ranch and Prickly Pines are two courses where I use it off most of the tees.

That's why I like the Crave. It tends to hold lines well. Start it on hyzer and it will typically finish on a hyzer. Might stand up a little if you put some mustard on it but generally holds the hyzer. Same goes for flat shots and anhyzers. Just pretty much holds it. There aren't a lot of wooded courses here but there are holes where hitting lines and angles are more important than biting off max distance and that's where I think the Crave excels.

This is my experience as well. I've been throwing them a lot, I love their ability to hold a line. Too much power on a hyzer can stand up a bit for me as well.

I like it for everything except a strong headwind, it can get turned over pretty easy into too much wind.

Hoping you've got a fairly beat champ eagle, all the EX's I've had have been fairly beefy.

Not sure if it's just the wing shape, gyro, or a combination of both but I definitely agree with the long straight crave flight before a subtle fade.

I've got a couple cosmic neutrons in the upper 160s and plasmas in the low 170s, CN's feel slightly faster and might might show a hair more high speed turn where the plasma seems like it's more straight to fade. Plasma looks slower in the air but seems to glide better. I've been surprised a handful of times in the field where it didn't feel like I got a solid pull on the plasma but walking out to grab them it'd be 20 feet longer than the CN.

The relay is similar in the sense that it's sneaky long for its speed and not as flippy as the flight numbers would suggest, or at least speaking for the couple mid 170s I have.

Hoping you've got a fairly beat champ eagle, all the EX's I've had have been fairly beefy.

Not sure if it's just the wing shape, gyro, or a combination of both but I definitely agree with the long straight crave flight before a subtle fade.

I've got a couple cosmic neutrons in the upper 160s and plasmas in the low 170s, CN's feel slightly faster and might might show a hair more high speed turn where the plasma seems like it's more straight to fade. Plasma looks slower in the air but seems to glide better. I've been surprised a handful of times in the field where it didn't feel like I got a solid pull on the plasma but walking out to grab them it'd be 20 feet longer than the CN.

The relay is similar in the sense that it's sneaky long for its speed and not as flippy as the flight numbers would suggest, or at least speaking for the couple mid 170s I have.

I have a beat up cosmic neutron Relay. It's also too stable. The Leopard3 is everything I wanted the Relay to be. I'm no good with MVP, I guess. Keep trying them though.

The cosmic plastic seems to be adding a good chunk of extra stability. My cosmic relay was being used for FH primarily. + 1 HSS for sure.

I bag a 171 plasma crave, and it's my go to fairway. Mines dead stray to mild fade at around the 300' distance I throw it. Holds most lines pretty well. I pair it with a resistor for the beefy beef and a neutron relay on the understable side.

Any thoughts on the Crave restock?

Neutron
Cosmic Neutron
Proton
Plasma

I have never thrown the Crave in Proton or Plasma