• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Axiom] Axiom Crave, FAIRWAY DRIVER?!

Some questions for Crave connoisseurs:

I purchased a 168g neutron Sarah Hokom Crave last summer. I really liked how it felt but it was way more understable than expected. Dramatic turnovers at 90m/300ft. I expected it to stay mostly straight at that distance and even longer. For comparison I have a 174g neutron Servo that flies according to numbers past 100m. I love it, but it has a good bit of both turn and fade and something with a straighter flight path would be very useful on the courses I play.

I read somewhere that an early run of Hokom Craves were more understable than normal - could this be correct? Or is this normal behavior for a Crave? Stores here (EU) seem to be restocking on Hokom Craves so I guess it could be a new run.

Thinking of trying out another one in max weight but first wanted to see if anyone could shed any light on this? Would really appreciate any advice or experiences of what could be expected.

Some questions for Crave connoisseurs:

Yes, the first run of Hokum craves (which would include yours) are outliers and more understable. They came out with a low PLH and were flippier than relays for me. The newer craves fly the numbers.

Depends on your servos, but to me a max weight fresh crave has a similar high speed flight to a servo, with less fade. The -1/1 and -1/2 are accurate for me.

If you want the 0/1 super straight craves that you hear about you need patent pending (before the hokums and flight numbers). The current crave is very very straight with a little flip up, but its not going to turn less than a servo thrown flat.

Yes, the first run of Hokum craves (which would include yours) are outliers and more understable. They came out with a low PLH and were flippier than relays for me. The newer craves fly the numbers.

Depends on your servos, but to me a max weight fresh crave has a similar high speed flight to a servo, with less fade. The -1/1 and -1/2 are accurate for me.

If you want the 0/1 super straight craves that you hear about you need patent pending (before the hokums and flight numbers). The current crave is very very straight with a little flip up, but its not going to turn less than a servo thrown flat.

Exactly what I was looking for, many thanks!

I can add that I bought a couple of max weight Hokom Craves a few weeks ago (I'm in Europe) and even though they are a bit less stable than I expected I can push these up to 120m without getting a "dramatic turnover". I need to put some hyzer on them to do this but nothing ridicolous.

My only Crave experience is with the cosmic neutrons in max weight. I think they fly pretty close to the numbers. I think you might be better served by picking one of those up as I have heard quite a few people are disappointed in the Hokums.

The current Hokums should fly "identical" within reason to Ray's cosmic neutrons. I think the cosmics molded how MVP wanted, and the first run Hokums came out funky and low PLH, but that has been fixed.

To add on to what everyone is saying, yes, the first run of Hokoms were very understable. The next runs were better, however it's a bit weight dependent. I have a 160g from the newer run that probably has a little more than -1 turn. Heavier ones are pretty true to numbers though. If you get a Patent Pending one, almost all of them fly 0/1 ish. I do have one that has unusually low PLH that flies a lot like the newer Hokoms, but it's an outlier of the PPs. And, for the record, I have about 9 Craves between PP and Current runs and have owned many more in the past.

Took my first Crave (Proton) out for its maiden voyage today and was very impressed. Really easy and straight flicker for me. I'm a noodle arm that plays on a short, woody home course and this Crave might become my go-to FW driver.

My new proton Crave (166) has a lower PLH than my two Hokum's (one 174 the other 158). I haven't thrown it much yet. However I will report a comparison after some field work. Based on what people are saying, I do not think these are first run Hokum Craves, at least my noodle arm says so!

Last edited:
Okay back after some field work... The 166 proton one is something I can turn over whereas my 158 fights it more even though it is a lighter disc. My 174 neutron I need a head wind for it to turn more than just a small amount. The proton one fits right between my relay and my Hokum Craves. I will probably bag all three until I can try Fission Craves. So the lower PLH for the proton crave definitely makes a difference...

The Crave is the main straight fairway in my bag...

A couple of Fission Crave's arrived in the mail today (162/168gm) and I took them out for 9 holes. While warming up they went further than any of my other N/CN/Pr/Pl Craves. I can get my seasoned N Crave to 85-90m, and these went 95m and 98m respectively. That's basically as far as I throw with anything (I did throw 111m downwind with a Thrasher last week).

They were also pretty straight, with some nice Crave turn and fade.

Got some bag thinking to do ... I'm not the biggest fan of Fission plastic, but 98m!

I managed to pick up a 172g fission Crave yesterday. I'll be curious to see if it is noticeably different than the cosmic neutrons that I bag.

I managed to pick up a 172g fission Crave yesterday. I'll be curious to see if it is noticeably different than the cosmic neutrons that I bag.

Finally working mine into a solo round yesterday. Not seeing any distance separation yet between it and the Hokoms, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It does seem to turn a little more readily though if I'm intentional with the angle. Looking forward to your impressions and to getting some additional time in on my own.

My new proton Crave (166) has a lower PLH than my two Hokum's (one 174 the other 158). I haven't thrown it much yet. However I will report a comparison after some field work. Based on what people are saying, I do not think these are first run Hokum Craves, at least my noodle arm says so!

You might try looking for some first run eclipse craves. I carried them briefly and I couldn't keep them on the course. They had SO much turn. I carry recent protons now and it is a completely different driver.

First few throws with the fission crave today. Goes further and only slightly more understable. Mine weighs 161 and I am comparing it to a 158 Neutron Crave. I threw it on a hole today that I hadn't managed to park with a crave, and it got me the additional 20 feet I needed to do so. I really like having fission options for the discs I throw.

I bag max weight cosmic neutron Craves right now but would prefer if they were a bit more OS. Not being too familiar with MVP plastics yet, are there any other plastics more stable than the cosmics? Proton maybe?

I bag max weight cosmic neutron Craves right now but would prefer if they were a bit more OS. Not being too familiar with MVP plastics yet, are there any other plastics more stable than the cosmics? Proton maybe?

In my experience Proton Craves are the most overstable. I've thrown Plasma, Neutron, Cosmic Neutron, Fission and Proton.

I noted with some alarm I now have 19 Craves so took them to the field for a Crave off. Three throws each BH and one throw sidearm.

Results were ...

"Old" Neutron Craves ... pre-Hokom I assume. have two of these in the 170's. These definitely turn more than any other Craves I own. These also feel a little more "chunky" in the hand. That could be my imagination, but the other Craves all feel flatter.
R2 Neutron Craves ... picked up three of these with recent PDGA renewals that the owners didn't want. These are pretty fresh, but they turn a little and give a nice baby S flight.
Cosmic Neutron Craves ... two of these ... they seem board flat and very straight.
Proton Craves ... two of these. They don't turn and fade very predictably. They fly very much like my Clashes.
Plasma Craves ... two of these ... just straight with baby fade. Possibly a little turn.
Fission Craves ... two of these ... hint of turn, very straight, seem to go a little further than any other Craves.
Hokom Craves ... six of these ... all over the place. Some are OS, some turn and fade. Not sure why the inconsistency. Probably the archer and not the arrow.

Sidearm sees a bit more turn than BH ... IF ... I hit the release angle right. Then they fly like a Sarah Hokom sidearm and it's lovely. But my sidearm is a work in progress and not the most reliable yet.

Last edited: