• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Axis vs. Fuse

Moify

Birdie Member
I've looked around some, saw people teetering on the edge of the question, but now here it is.

Fuse, Axis, or might they both have a place in the bag? I've got a 177g flat, green Axis that I've loved for some time now, and have just gotten a 174 Opto Fuse that (although I haven't thrown yet) already love how it feels in the hands, and have fallen in love with Lat 64 glide and comfortable feel to their discs.

I'd like to believe that I could keep the Axis as an anny disc, letting the GYRO technology carry it through those anhyzer angles, and the Fuse as my main straight mid... but I get the sneaking suspicion that they're too similar to justify keeping both in my bag.

Just looking for a bit of insight from someone who has thrown both. Thanks!

You're using them backwards. The Fuse is a naturally understable disc and will turn or hold annys better than the Axis which is a more neutral mid.

Agreed, the fuse was meant to turn right. I could see keeping both in the bag however. For me, if I throw the axis with a bit of hyzer it flips up to flat, doesn't really turn but rather seems to kind of naturally drift to the right without losing much elevation, a truly unique flight pattern. Add a little more hyzer and the axis flips to flat and goes dead straight without any noticable fade. The fuse is goes on short holes as it doesn't take much encouragement for it to want to turn. It also works well for long hard anny's, whereas the axis would be a little more difficult to manipulate.

I throw Rocs, but have tried both, so you may take this with a grain of salt.

For me, the Axis was a nice mid. It held the line I put it on. If I threw it with anhyzer, unless I left it high in the air, it wouldn't fade back all that much if at all. I would definitely see some overlap with the Axis and Opto Fuse. They both flew about the same distances, maybe the Fuse was a little bit longer. My Fuse was also Opto, which tend to be stable compared to the GL plastic.

It kind of depends what you have for an overstable midrange. If you throw a GL Pain or something similar then I think there would be too much overlap. However, if you have a max weight Opto Pain, a Gator, or Drone as your overstable mid, A max weight Axis as a stable mid, and a seasoned GL or test run Fuse for understable there would be a lot less overlap.

i agree with ups. But do not count out the fuse as a control mid. They can hold a ton of lines, I think it is more versatile than most people give the fuse credit for.

They could overlap in the sense that they can both hold a straight shot well, but the axis is not as touchy and has better hss.

It kind of depends what you have for an overstable midrange. If you throw a GL Pain or something similar then I think there would be too much overlap. However, if you have a max weight Opto Pain, a Gator, or Drone as your overstable mid, A max weight Axis as a stable mid, and a seasoned GL or test run Fuse for understable there would be a lot less overlap.

I use the Sentinel as my overstable mid. But I also throw both BH and FH, so only occasionally throw annys when the hole calls for that type of line over a FH throw.

But thanks for the input, I didn't realize they were opposite what I was thinking. That is also good news so I don't have to try to anyhyzer a much heavier Axis than the 174 Fuse. So use the Fuse for shorter holes? I read that quite a bit as it seemed that the Fuse would turnover with too much power. But I'm liking what I'm hearing.

I think both might have a place in the bag then.

The fuse is a great turnover disc. Toss it with a bit of hyzer it will flip up flat. Its the one disc in my bag that when I want it to go right and hold that line, I know it wont fade out, no matter how much power I put into it.

You really do want them both and they will compliment each other nicely, axis for straight, fuse for turnover.

Mids in my bag are Buzzz, Vector, and Fuse. Fuse is Understable and a great one at that. The Axis is a lot like a Buzzz. I just don't like the feel, maybe if MVP offered a different more grippy plastic then it might be better then the Buzzz.

I have 2 axis both first runs and 180. They are extremely similar to buzzz's, so they dont get thrown much, because i prefer the buzzz for really no reason its just the way it goes. The fuse is understable like others have said and is kinds touchy doesn't like bad form, which was my problem with it. My form was awful when i had one.

Mids in my bag are Buzzz, Vector, and Fuse. Fuse is Understable and a great one at that. The Axis is a lot like a Buzzz. I just don't like the feel, maybe if MVP offered a different more grippy plastic then it might be better then the Buzzz.

I second the Buzzz vs. the Axis vote. Honestly they were almost identical, but with the Buzzz being offered in a variety of plastics just makes for an eaiser choice. I can throw good annys with a Buzzz or a Axis. I can throw unbelievible annys with a GL Fuse. Haven't found a disc that can do the same thing.

I would liken the Axis more to the Core. The Buzzz seemed a tick more overstable than both of them for me (especially in regards to HSS)

I used the Axis and Fuse together for a bit. The Fuse is an awesome turnover/anhyzer mid, but the Axis beat into that spot eventually and pushed the Fuse out. I still love that disc, but the Axis did it better, just not out of the box.

I'd say you could survive with both. I'd keep the heavier Axis, and mix in a lighter Fuse that turns easy for you. The only thing you might miss is something over stable to use in winds or for line shaping purposes.

I would liken the Axis more to the Core. The Buzzz seemed a tick more overstable than both of them for me (especially in regards to HSS)

If i had you a core and a buzzz with the stamp wiped you would not be able to tell the difference, they are the same disc.

If i had you a core and a buzzz with the stamp wiped you would not be able to tell the difference, they are the same disc.

I think I could tell the difference between a GL Core and a Z Buzzz, they're completely different plastics and don't feel anything alike. :D

I think I could tell the difference between a GL Core and a Z Buzzz, they're completely different plastics and don't feel anything alike. :D

Duh, opto core and z buzzz or ti buzzz with a GL core.

We were holding a Ti Buzz in one hand and a flat GL Core in the other hand. They were identical. The shape, the diameter, the plastic. The only difference was the raised "stamp" on the buzz.

Duh, opto core and z buzzz or ti buzzz with a GL core.

I was just joking. No, I can't disagree with that. I've only thrown the GL Core, TI Buzzz, ESP FLX Buzzz, exlipse axis, and domey first run axis.

They all are really similar with the most minute of differences.

I was talking about my experiences with a GL core and the Axis. They seemed really similar. My 2 buzzes seem a tick more overstable.