• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Axis vs. Fuse

I used the Axis and Fuse together for a bit. The Fuse is an awesome turnover/anhyzer mid, but the Axis beat into that spot eventually and pushed the Fuse out. I still love that disc, but the Axis did it better, just not out of the box.

This was my exact experience with the Axis and Fuse.

I've been using a FR 179 flat green Axis as my straight mid and my trusty well seasoned Opto Fuse for a while now. It was working out great but my Axis seems to be developing some late flight turn and just being generally more understable than I like, and thus starting to overlap with my Fuse. The Axis might not make it in the bag if it keeps doing this and it isn't me rolling my wrist over or something.

I've been using a FR 179 flat green Axis as my straight mid and my trusty well seasoned Opto Fuse for a while now. It was working out great but my Axis seems to be developing some late flight turn and just being generally more understable than I like, and thus starting to overlap with my Fuse. The Axis might not make it in the bag if it keeps doing this and it isn't me rolling my wrist over or something.

Get a heavy, not so flat, Axis and you're good to go!

I'd say you could survive with both. I'd keep the heavier Axis, and mix in a lighter Fuse that turns easy for you. The only thing you might miss is something over stable to use in winds or for line shaping purposes.

I keep a wide varity of Sentinels, in quite a few plastics, it's my favvvorite. I'm liking what I hear about Fuses. I'm starting to feel this way about a lot of Lat 64 stuff.

I do like axis though for the fact that it's punishing with bad form. It definitely helped me. But I'm excited for the notorious Lat 64 glidde that'll come with the Fuse.

All the Fuses I have thrown have been less stable than any Axis I have thrown. My max weight Opto Fuse is better at the straight shot with zero fade compared to the Axis. Every Axis I have has a small dome, so they are all pretty stable. When thrown flat at 300' they go straight with a predictable smal fade at the end. My Opto Fuse thrown on the same line will go dead straight, with zero fade. I also carry a seasoned Goldline Fuse for turnovers that I love. My best hyzerflip mid I've ever thrown. I ended up going back to the Buzzz for my "stable" mid since the Axis was close to my Opto Fuse. The Buzzz also handles headwinds better than the Axis.

Even my most broken in Axis doesn't quite turn as easily as a Fuse.

MVP discs break in??? The flight numbers on the core are basically the same as the axis.

As others have noted, the Axis is more like a GL core. I carry a core in one bag with a fuse, and the axis in my main one alongside my other fuse. I like the axis for certain lines. It will fly pretty much dead straight at the same height, and get a slight drift right if I throw it at almost full power.

MVP discs break in??? The flight numbers on the core are basically the same as the axis.

As others have noted, the Axis is more like a GL core. I carry a core in one bag with a fuse, and the axis in my main one alongside my other fuse. I like the axis for certain lines. It will fly pretty much dead straight at the same height, and get a slight drift right if I throw it at almost full power.

I think folks were a bit off when they assigned numbers to the MVP discs. Looking at several of the discs that have that neutral -1/1 rating like the Core, Axis, Skeeter, QMS, etc. (and most Buzzes fit there as well)...it's clear that the ratings aren't that accurate, but close. Different discs, but Skeeter and Core have the same rating and I'd say they act the same as far as flight pattern/shaping...QMS being slower but essentially the same. Axis is clearly more stable out of the box and even after beating in a bit - in both hss and lss. A domey opto Core is a closer comparison to an Axis but still has more ability to turn/hyzer flip...and defintely more glide and more distance with less effort. Compared to the Core, I'd put the Axis at less one glide point, zero hss, and keep the lss at one or 1.5.

As complements, Fuse vs. Axis.....ok. As a direct comparison, wth, really? There must be some freak understable Axes or freak stable Fuses out there or something, because they seem very very different in my experience (own two Axis, thrown five...own three Fuses and three Cores).

Last edited:
Regardless of how similar/dissimilar they might be, I can't help but assume that the weight difference (see OP) will also be a deciding factor in the Fuse being more prone to turn. I have a hard time turning over the Axis a ton, and I've had this one for about 7 months.

Just depends on your Fuse really. Most of the heavy Fuses actually turn easier than the lighter weight ones. The Fuse is a little finicky in regards to power, but it can be made to turn in all kinds of ways (burner, Stingray no-return right angle, Leopard-ish), can go extremely straight with minimal fade at the end, and will even hold a decent hyzer if the wind isn't too bad. You'll probably grow to love it, but there's not a whole lot of overlap with the Axis, imo.

As much as I love my Cores and could pick them as a one-only disc, I think the Fuse paired with a stable mid like the Pain or Vector is an ideal combo for most conditions. That leaves the neutral discs like Core, Axis, QMS, etc. in the don't-need-it-unless-you-love-it slot. That's the biggest reason my Axes aren't really getting much use now except in field practice.