• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Back Up Discs

Spike Hyzer

Birdie Member
I am wondering how many people carry straight back up discs in their every day bag. I don't want to hear how you carry five destroyers, or rocs ranging from super OS, OS, Straight, Slightly US, and US. I get that. They are all distinctly different. I want to hear how many people carry two of the exact same disc in their bag. And why do you do it?

I experimented with carrying two of the same type of putter: McPro Aviars, then Classic Blend Judges. I mostly did this so that I could throw one putter, and if it didn't make it I just walked up and threw the other one from the spot where the first one landed.

Now I carry a Classic Blend Judge and a Lucid Judge. Not exactly the same, as the plastic is different, but the same mold and right at the same weight. I throw the Lucid from further out, as the plastic is near-indestructo, while reserving the Classic Blend for inside the circle putts. But sometimes I'll throw one and if I miss just come up with the other to finish off the hole.

I carry one extra of each of my drivers, maybe a gram or two difference. I have 3 putters similar mold, but different plastic for driving, further out approach, and one for close putting.

I carry extras just in case I lose one I have one in the bag.

Depends on the course I'm playing- risky water, nasty briars and such, and I'll bring along one extra mid and one extra driver- something in a slightly more plain plastic that I wouldn't mind losing as much as one of the pearly trilogy discs or a home dyed disc

Not really. 2 identical putting putters, but that's just for warmups and putting out my 2 putts. The only time I'll really have a duplicate is if I'm trying a different disc in the same slot as something I already carry. For example, I've got a USDGC roc competing for my OS mid slot with a domey champ roc3.

Other then that, I don't carry duplicates in the bag, to much weight for not enough pay off. I do keep a box of backups in the trunk of my car during tournements tho

I mostly have backups in the trunk in case I lose one on a tourney round. But every now and then, I remind myself that the backup needs to have the same wear as the 'main', so it goes in the bag for occasional play (especially if I'm at an empty course for a solo casual round, and have the chance to throw two sets around).

Nope, I do not carry discs in my bag solely for backup duties. My bag is small, so space is at a premium. I also don't like carrying around discs that I don't plan on using during a round.

I always tend to keep 2 of my goto molds on hand. Its nice to practice the same shot with the same disc as well as being able to easily replace a slightly used mold vs fresh by rotating different color "pairs" in and out of the bag.

Sometimes one is a little more seasoned or lighter/different plastic but i dont look at those as much as backups as unique discs. I dont like keeping a bunch of discs in vehicle so ill bag what i want for a course sometimes more backups or less given what it is. My bag is always changing but the goto molds stay pretty locked down.

About the only two reasons I would do this...

1. Have an immediate backup for that disc in case I lose one.
2. I'm doing some sort of throwing practice where I don't want to be fetching my disc after every shot.

Really, that's about it.

About the only two reasons I would do this...

1. Have an immediate backup for that disc in case I lose one.
2. I'm doing some sort of throwing practice where I don't want to be fetching my disc after every shot.

Really, that's about it.

There also can be an advantage to not always using a mini so having another disc you want to throw just like the one laying on your lie isnt a bad idea if its a mold you use often.

I

I carry two Prodigy M1s at all times.

Why? ... good question. I like them? They are used more than any other disc outside of my putter. One's a black 2014 Halloween stamp that I love, but being black, is not always the best choice to throw. The other is white so it's easier to find. Not a good reason, but I'll believe my own lies. :D

I used to carry backups for my drivers since they're what I lost the most, but I have since stopped because my bag has just enough overlap that I could lose a disc and be fine with another mold in the bag.

I play the same course 95% of the time. Depending on recent rain, it has between 3-5 water holes. I will generally carry a back up driver that I used on the lake holes as well as a back up putter in case I throw it in the water. Don't want to be caught without it for the rest of the round. Plus, the second putter gives me two putters to warm up with at the beginning of the round.

When I use my cart & have room I bring extra sacrificial lambs for the long over water carry that a number of Florida courses have. They are usually ones that are older or I picked up used.

Depends on the course I'm playing

Bingo. If I'm playing a course where there are holes playing near/over water in which I think there is a chance I lose a disc (even temporarily), I'll add a back-up to the bag for any disc I think I'll be throwing on those holes. So it could be one disc or it could be five discs depending on the situation.

Otherwise, all back-up discs reside in a box in my car (that box representing an exact duplication of the contents of my bag, right down to extra towels and pencils). I think I've lost one disc that wasn't thrown into water in the past 4-5 years, so I'm less concerned with suffering an unanticipated loss mid-round. And even then, there isn't any one disc in my bag that is so indispensable that I can't make do without it until I can get back to the car for a replacement.

Uh, having backups of Rocs is exactly how you start a cycle going.

So anything i bag, i carry more than 1 that I won't use until I notice flight path changes.

I carry two QOLFs and two Starlite Terns. The Terns, especially, are the most likely candidates for disc loss in my bag. The QOLFs are my workhorse drivers. So either one needs a replacement to be easily accessible.

I alternate throws with each of these sets to try to keep them as similar to each other as possible. Currently, I can throw either of the two discs interchangeably.