• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backhand help

How smooth you can get through your run up is key. When you pull back it looks good but when you start to follow through you drop your shoulder in a swooping motion. Don't throw so hard and the disc won't flip like that. Or throw something more stable that can handle your arm speed?

Last edited:
First off, sweet bandana.

Looks like you're getting some good distances, but there are a few blatant errors in your style that when fixed should help you quite a bit.

First off is you are throwing the disc nose up. That is what is getting the air bounce where your disc suddenly rises in the air mid flight.

Secondly, you are throwing all of your throws as turnover shots. The reachback is high and the follow through with your body is low. That is causing torque on the disc and it is turning right at the end of the flight instead of fading off left. Your quasar and rampage didn't turn right because they are very stable, but your sl shouldn't turn and finish right. Keep the reachback and follow through level with your shoulders to get the discs to fly as intended. On the flip side, you have an awesome turnover shot and a lot of people can't throw that, so good job. Video 1 throws 1 and 2 show this best.

Lastly, you are throwing way too fast way to early. Look at the Dan beto driving video on YouTube and pay attention to the part of the video which talks about accelerating at the very end of the throw. Slow down your throw and really explode once the disc is at the chest, not when you start pulling and the disc is still behind you. Video 2 highlights this problem.

All in all, not too much to fix. Just keep at it and you will see improvements.

Thanks, the bandanna almost didn't make the video. I guess I should slow down and work on coming level across my shoulders with an late acceleration? That should be enough to work on for a good while. =) Thanks guys!

Thanks, the bandanna almost didn't make the video. I guess I should slow down and work on coming level across my shoulders with an late acceleration? That should be enough to work on for a good while. =) Thanks guys!

And fix your nose angle too. Mike C has a video that talks about grip and how it will did nose angle. Fix those three things, then post a new video on here for an update.

Another thing that will help you in the end (although it might not be too fun right now) is throw more understable discs or slower discs like putters. Those will show your form flaws easier than your high speed drivers. The rampage and quasar are too stable and fast to witness a bad throw.

Your also strong arming. Thats a harder thing to fix though.

I disagree with the bandana, should sport a doo rag instead.

When I was watching this video and you started walking back, I was like, WHOA WTF HEY.

Looks like you're starting your reachback a little bit early as well, i've also seen you throw better drives in person so not really sure, i'll leave it to the pros :|.

edit: watching the second video your footwork is a bit interesting, maybe try and slow it down some and focus on keeping it smooth.

Agreed on everything ^. No hips or snap! It's pure strong arming as your shoulder's aren't leveraged behind the hips. When the shoulders get ahead and lose posture, the hips then throw you around in the followthrough. Lead with the hips and slow everything down into the power zone and then accelerate out. Practice throwing your putters and mids. Working from the hit back with the hammer drills is where I'd start.

All the vids/links in this thread are pertinent:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51164

Ha ha thanks guys! I might just start back from square one then. I am not exactly sure how to fix the shoulders getting ahead thing, but I do realize that I am getting a bit ahead of myself.

Connor, I saw your name and though, I think I know him..., then I read your post. Thanks for the advise. My footwork really showed up on the video. I am glad I decided to tape it.

So, I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but I have some more videos of my driving form. These were shot at the GSSS Tournament at McCurry Park in Fayetteville this past weekend. My drives are fairly accurate, with two of the them (hole 4 and hole 10) parking right under the basket. My concern is this, when I see the top players throw, they seem to stop quicker after their shots. whereas you can see I kinda flail around. I am taking this as a sign of lack of control on my part. Should I just slow down and work my way back up to these drives again? Thanks in advance guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jz1K_uQK3Y&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNBFOiCUmkU&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPKXVP5L_Og&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy7IatZDHxc&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl35b5cvMD4&feature=youtu.be

Sorry for the multiple links, however all of the videos are pretty short and just focused on the form.

Your observations are sound. It's all about balance and feeling balanced dynamically throughout the throw. You're introducing all kinds of oat and not rotating about an axis and slamming your weight down onto the plant trying to shift your weight too much. Your right shoulder is always higher than your left from the backswing to finish, so its not rotating on plane with the spine, and your spine keeps moving forward instead of being braced and tilted against the front side for a faster rotation. Your backswing is messed up on multiple levels with the hips not pivoting back, over-heaving the arm, and upper arm crashing, so you need to fix that preferable from a standstill. All related to maintaing posture, alignment, balance, weight transfer, width, and using your hips properly:

Sidewinder, that first video that has the kid explain the basics of a backhand has helped me greatly and I can't thank you enough for posting that video in the past.

So, I haven't been able to practice much lately, which is a shame but just how life works. Anyways, the main thing I am realizing about my throw now is that silly air bounce I get when I throw. If it stems from me throwing the disc downward (assuming "flat" is parallel to the ground), then I know it is a form issue. My problem is, even knowing what I am doing wrong, my efforts to fix it are only so so. I may want to just start from scratch. I know that is easier said than done though. How does one go about this?

I fixed the air bounce and now I am working on working from the "hit" backwards. That was revolutionary and yet so simple. I am slowly training my self to rotate on a plane, which is really helped by video taping my throws. Anyways, big thanks to everyone for this help!

Getting back into it.

Welp, for unemployment reasons (and some others), I had to take a break from fieldwork and played 2-3 times a month, for the past few months. Needless to say, my game broke. Before I essentially stopped, I was trying to adopt a "Swedish/European" style of throwing, kinda like Linus Astrom. I was never able to devote the time I would have liked. Now that I have job, strangely enough, I have the necessary means to go out and work on my form. I am not concered with what "style" I throw with, just that I get the basics down. As I learned today, my basics are lacking substantially. I did some Door Frame Drills before I went out today.

The first video is of me attempting to do the Beto Right Peck Drill. I felt awkward. I certainly could not get the same force behind the disc as I used to/thought I could. Also, I had a tendency to throw with some anny.

In the second video I flagged down some random players and bothered them to film me for a second or two. They seemed in a little hurry so I threw quickly, but I am glad, because it shows my flaws clearer. I remember trying to imitate ZJ in the video where he and Yetti are doing a clinic.

In the last video my body movement felt more fluid. I flagged down some more randoms to film. There was some cool down time, but you can see my pull through is still too high.

I am interested to know if my shoulders and hips seem to be opening up when they need to be. If not, what actions do I take to fix.

Your pull is so high because your balance is too far behind your heels and you lean your spine out of posture and tilt your hips over. When you plant your butt is too far forward, beyond your front knee posture. The knee shouldn't move much forward after the foot plants. The knee should be in just in front of the hip to brace it or raise it ala Feldy's hip to sky tip. Your rear leg is extending/tipping you over instead of striding your whole body more forward. Your rear knee should finish under your hip and close behind the other knee so you are more upright and balanced and less like superman doing the splits.

You are doing what he talks about around 4:20:

Thanks! So, I need to stay back and more postured/balanced. Am I getting ahead of the throw? When doing it correctly, my pull though should be much lower correct? I've never looked at my butt during my throw, I just always assumed I was leading with it. I'll see if I can do some indoor practice as it's rainy today.

Pretty much. The butt leads the torso, but the leg needs to stride ahead like a pitcher.

Your pull is so high because your balance is too far behind your heels and you lean your spine out of posture and tilt your hips over.
So should I lean forward over the disc? Or is that just how it is going to feel? I realize that my knees aren't really bent much either.
Also (sorry I know I have a bunch of questions) doing the door frame drill, I feel like the last movement where I would be accelerating the disc, I feel like I am almost pushing the disc. Should it feel like more of a pull, push, or just letting your body finish the move?

Latest posts