• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backhand: Reach Back vs "Moving Around the Disc" (McBeth Style)

I think timing and weight shift are what's really important. Feldberg's swing style has a lot of moving parts and if you choose to mimic him, you might find you're burning a lot more energy throughout the round. The pre-throw pump (which he swings to eye level), pivot hop step, long reach back can give you distance, but you might have trouble using that form for accurate mid and putter throws, AND anhyzers. His pendulum swing is counter-intuitive to the anhyzer swing path, and translates to more moving parts and energy. He's used that style for years, so he's got the muscle memory and timing dialed in. I was using that style for a while, but chose to switch to a simpler swing.

I think timing and weight shift are what's really important. Feldberg's swing style has a lot of moving parts and if you choose to mimic him, you might find you're burning a lot more energy throughout the round. The pre-throw pump (which he swings to eye level), pivot hop step, long reach back can give you distance, but you might have trouble using that form for accurate mid and putter throws, AND anhyzers. His pendulum swing is counter-intuitive to the anhyzer swing path, and translates to more moving parts and energy. He's used that style for years, so he's got the muscle memory and timing dialed in. I was using that style for a while, but chose to switch to a simpler swing.

Feldberg's style is a great of using to learn some basic technique stuff. I use it in lessons to illustrate weight shift during the x-step and keeping the front shoulder down. The Feldberg swing teaches both of these with ease. But as you said it can limit your shot selection unless you just want to throw hyzer flips for turnovers

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/MistyWideColt-mobile.mp4
MistyWideColt-mobile.mp4

If the first move isn't supposed to be spinning the hips then what should the first move be? After getting set in the x-step and the disc is behind, what should the order of movements be?

If the first move isn't supposed to be spinning the hips then what should the first move be? After getting set in the x-step and the disc is behind, what should the order of movements be?
Shift to front leg and unwind everything. Should be automatic if your windup/backswing happens in correct sequence.

A good demonstration of a dingle arm but he gets to the importance of the reach back at 12:50 and how the slings are used to prevent "flip" which occurs in the dingle arm. The first part of the video about "flip" could also be used in the passive/active wrist discussion – I thought of Sidewinder22 emphasizing the firm wrist at he hit.

A good demonstration of a dingle arm but he gets to the importance of the reach back at 12:50 and how the slings are used to prevent "flip" which occurs in the dingle arm. The first part of the video about "flip" could also be used in the passive/active wrist discussion – I thought of Sidewinder22 emphasizing the firm wrist at he hit.

That was fascinating. What are the implications of a "lagged impact" and a "flipped impact" for the disc golf swing?

These are great videos. I've been trying to practice this drill at home. I'm having a hard time getting my head around the concept of keeping the disc in place. Even though the disc stays in same spot relative to the ground, Ezra is still moving and extending his arm as his body moves forward.

I like the drill with the pool cue, it is much easier to visualize keeping the hand and disc in one spot.

These are great videos. I've been trying to practice this drill at home. I'm having a hard time getting my head around the concept of keeping the disc in place. Even though the disc stays in same spot relative to the ground, Ezra is still moving and extending his arm as his body moves forward.

I like the drill with the pool cue, it is much easier to visualize keeping the hand and disc in one spot.

One thing that helped me understand it a little better is holding my arm in the position that I'd hold a disc, then spinning around in my office chair while holding my shoulder in place.

I start with a 90 degree elbow bend, then as I spin away from my target, my arm straightens, then as I spin back to center, my hand pulls into to my chest, and as I spin towards my target, my arm straightens again.

One thing that helped me understand it a little better is holding my arm in the position that I'd hold a disc, then spinning around in my office chair while holding my shoulder in place.

I start with a 90 degree elbow bend, then as I spin away from my target, my arm straightens, then as I spin back to center, my hand pulls into to my chest, and as I spin towards my target, my arm straightens again.

As part of my warm up this morning. I held on to a low tree branch and did Ezra's exercise. my hand was forced to stay in same position as my body moved forward.

I understand how this vid relates to ball golf. Half swing generates lag every time. Seemed a little fuzzy on how that happens with a full ball golf swing…
Is turning the shoulders 90* from target the key to lag from this vid, as it might relate to disc golf?

Last edited:
I understand how this vid relates to ball golf. Half swing generates lag every time. Seemed a little fuzzy on how that happens with a full ball golf swing…
Is turning the shoulders 90* from target the key to lag from this vid, as it might relate to disc golf?

I may be wrong but I think a lot of our discussions on lag in this Technique and Strategy section have switched from viewing lag as a time factor to being more of a mechanism to load the myofascial slings to produce the rubber band effect through stretching. For disc golf, the half swing might be the same as a standstill where people aren't in as much as a rush to throw the disc so they do better in getting a proper back swing with shoulders turned 90* and give the body time (lag) to get the myofascial stretch. The full swing for disc golf would be the x-step and to paraphrase SW22, the purpose of the x-step is to get a further back swing and more stretch.

Latest posts