• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backhand "Snap" Question

Try to keep your hand loose and at the 12:00 position as late in the throw as you possible can. As you extend your forearm, you should feel the tension in your tendons... this is your cue to fling the nose of the disc around. Keep your shoulders loose as you rotate your hips. If you rotate your shoulders too early, the disc will slip out or veer way to the right and you likely won't feel any tension.

I've never felt any tension and if I grip the disc too loose it comes out early and goes off left, thats actually an issue I've been fighting lately....I'm gripping too lost not gripping down at the end is its slipping out early....

It has similarities to starting a lawnmower.... You know how some pulls just feel right and you know its gonna start? That's the closest analogy, like your stone skipping (which I agree with, btw, that's how I always try to relate the FH swing to people that aren't familiar with the FH snap)

But like the others have said, it's tough to really relate it to any other motion. You could say a one handed golf or baseball swing, but not really, those have more similar mechanics to FH swings.

Well I was out practicing last night and its just not happening. I don't know what it is but I just can't get any snap at all and the nose angle issues won't go away either, but I think thats because of weight shift and starting my pull through too early. I was getting close to 300 but now I'm back down to about 250. I've read everything over and over, I've watched numerous videos and there just has to be something I'm not getting.

I cannot cannot cannot no matter what I do throw over 250 from a standstill and from a standstill I get nose up and I'm not even sure what else, even what Im not nose up its wont go past 250. I try the pic drill and messes up my throw, I end up getting round and it looks like a frisbee throw....I guess I'll try the closed shoulder snap drill but I was trying to get a fundamentally sound basic throw down first.

I don't know maybe I'm releasing my wrist too early, but its release right around or after my right pec....I think...I just don't know getting kind of discouraged though. Ive been playing nearly weekly and practicing even more than that since april, weekly solid and practice two or 3 times a week since May and i've seen nearly zero improvement.....

Last edited:
You're worrying, stressing, thinking about it too much man! Just focus on one part of your throw, and throw! The follow thru, or the angle of the disc, whatever you have to do to take your mind off of internet malarky, and just have some fun!

This isn't work, it's a hobby/ sport. If you are not having fun, you'll never progress, and it's impossible to have fun when you tell yourself you're not doing it right over and over.

You're worrying, stressing, thinking about it too much man! Just focus on one part of your throw, and throw! The follow thru, or the angle of the disc, whatever you have to do to take your mind off of internet malarky, and just have some fun!

This isn't work, it's a hobby/ sport. If you are not having fun, you'll never progress, and it's impossible to have fun when you tell yourself you're not doing it right over and over.

Don't get me wrong I have fun when Im out playing, its just when I'm actually practicing trying to see improvement and there isn't any no matter what I try it gets frustrating after a while.

Loki we need a video of your throw from the side of the teepad and from behind.

Also a photo of your grip on a fairway driver will help. I'm sure we can fix the nose angle issues with a grip change. There are grips that force your arm to a more level pull through and align the wrist in plane with the forearm without forcing anything.

Don't be embarassed. Nobody ever pokes fun as long as your honest about your distance and troubles.

Loki, as someone who has played a while and only recently (in the last year or two) discovered how to get snap on the disc, pouring over drills and techniques before you get a little taste of that snap was almost pointless for me. Over thinking it is destructive if you don't know what a good hit feels like. For me, just throwing a lot and getting a good rip and not worrying about accuracy helped me to understand what it feels like to have the disc rip from your hand. So maybe cool down the training and try and rip a few in any way that feels natural. Then once you "get" it, try and get your form under control and accuracy will follow.

If you don't feel comfortable posting a video, watching yourself throw still helps. You'll be surprised at things you are doing wrong that you thought you were doing right.

I was in the same boat for my first two years. Seeing myself throw was what helped the most. Focus on changing one thing at a time. If you notice an improvement, keep repeating that motion until it becomes ingrained in your muscle memory. Then focus on something else and repeat.

It can be confusing listening to advice in a forum because there are different techniques that allow you to throw far. Which technique works best varies from person to person. However, there are certain fundamentals that are required for every throwing style. I remember seeing a thread in DGR on those fundamentals. I will see if I can find it and post a link here.

Unrelated to snap, but this helped me a ton with my standstill shots.

Rather than pivoting the 'pivot' foot, someone had me open my stance toward the target. In other words, rather than start, say, with my right (RHBH) ankle pointed to the target, point my right toe to the target, or as nearly as possible. I'm not that flexible, but even getting the front foot 45 deg open to the target, it helped me with accuracy, weight transfer (nose down,) and follow-thru (D.)

Not having the hip rotation of the pivot may sap some D, but since most standstill shots are not really "max D" situations, the accuracy and nose down aspect of this change more than made up for it, for me. And, actually, being able to have a smooth, longer follow through with the toe/knee more toward the target offset the loss of hip rotation.

This. And the follow-on suspicion, you may be overthrowing. I get better reults usually when I feel like I'm not throwing hard enough.

I felt rip out for the past month, but still couldn't break 275. I broke it today, hitting 300 for the first time, and all I did was loosen up my body and use a much shorter (almost non-existant) reach back while still keeping my shoulders closed. This let me put all my acceleration into the last bit of my throw. Using my lace (half red and half white) I could easily notice how much faster the disc was spinning.

For me, the elusive snap doesn't feel much different, it looks different. The disc rips out at a higher velocity, faster than if I was throwing a ball, and spins much quicker. To get there, I smoothed out, simplified, found a comfortable grip (the fork), and drilled my late acceleration by simply removing most of my reachback.

Its been a month of hard work, now I know snap, and hopfully will see it out on the course again tomorrow!

I felt rip out for the past month, but still couldn't break 275. I broke it today, hitting 300 for the first time, and all I did was loosen up my body and use a much shorter (almost non-existant) reach back while still keeping my shoulders closed. This let me put all my acceleration into the last bit of my throw. Using my lace (half red and half white) I could easily notice how much faster the disc was spinning.

For me, the elusive snap doesn't feel much different, it looks different. The disc rips out at a higher velocity, faster than if I was throwing a ball, and spins much quicker. To get there, I smoothed out, simplified, found a comfortable grip (the fork), and drilled my late acceleration by simply removing most of my reachback.

Its been a month of hard work, now I know snap, and hopfully will see it out on the course again tomorrow!

I use a large reach back for my power throws. So far that people in this area have joked and told me they are going to start calling me "Rubber band" or "Cross County" lol. You really need to build a throw from the ground up that has a strong explosion from the hips that transfers up the body. This way, the mechanical advantage of your arm is increased by having a strong, explosive core rotation that can be used to propel the arm in the whip-like motion you are starting to recognize.

I use a large reach back for my power throws. So far that people in this area have joked and told me they are going to start calling me "Rubber band" or "Cross County" lol. You really need to build a throw from the ground up that has a strong explosion from the hips that transfers up the body. This way, the mechanical advantage of your arm is increased by having a strong, explosive core rotation that can be used to propel the arm in the whip-like motion you are starting to recognize.

Word. I have been using a huge reach back because when you watch videos of people driving, the reach back is easy to see and imitate. The hips, shoulder, grip, nose down, and late acceleration are hard to see. For me the huge reach back made it hard to line the others up and smooth out. I know that for real distance, my reach back will grow, but the snap and distance was easier to experience with a shorter one.

The idea actually came from watching Valerie Jenkins out drive me with a wraith and a tiny reach back in this video:
http://thespintv.com/videos/in-my-bag-with-3x-disc-golf-world-champion-valarie-jenkins/

Last edited:
Word. I have been using a huge reach back because when you watch videos of people driving, the reach back is easy to see and imitate. The hips, shoulder, grip, nose down, and late acceleration are hard to see. For me the huge reach back made it hard to line the others up and smooth out. I know that for real distance, my reach back will grow, but the snap and distance was easier to experience with a shorter one.

The idea actually came from watching Valerie Jenkins out drive me with a wraith and a tiny reach back in this video:
http://thespintv.com/videos/in-my-bag-with-3x-disc-golf-world-champion-valarie-jenkins/

Disc Golf Monthly 94 helped me quite a bit. Feldberg's clinics and the way he presents stuff seems to click for me and gives me good points to experiment myself from. The distance part starts around 9:40.

Disc Golf Monthly 94 helped me quite a bit. Feldberg's clinics and the way he presents stuff seems to click for me and gives me good points to experiment myself from. The distance part starts around 9:40.

Always awesome to see pros ripping it on my home course! Great vid, and the grip GG uses is the one I just discovered and love so much! It is funny how much more the clinics make sense after feeling/succeeding at some of the techniques.

One thing I have noticed lately, on my better throws I hit my left pec during the pullthrough sometimes, seems to happen more often than not too......is that an indication of anything?

Loki we need a video of your throw from the side of the teepad and from behind.

Also a photo of your grip on a fairway driver will help. I'm sure we can fix the nose angle issues with a grip change. There are grips that force your arm to a more level pull through and align the wrist in plane with the forearm without forcing anything.

Don't be embarassed. Nobody ever pokes fun as long as your honest about your distance and troubles.

If you don't feel comfortable posting a video, watching yourself throw still helps. You'll be surprised at things you are doing wrong that you thought you were doing right.

I was in the same boat for my first two years. Seeing myself throw was what helped the most. Focus on changing one thing at a time. If you notice an improvement, keep repeating that motion until it becomes ingrained in your muscle memory. Then focus on something else and repeat.

It can be confusing listening to advice in a forum because there are different techniques that allow you to throw far. Which technique works best varies from person to person. However, there are certain fundamentals that are required for every throwing style. I remember seeing a thread in DGR on those fundamentals. I will see if I can find it and post a link here.

I'm fine posting a video I have a couple here already, I just need to get the time to do it.....plus my phone has been acting up with the videos and likes to freeze while taking video.....I'll try to get out this week...

Thats pretty good actually, I'm sure I do most if not all of those things, how to fix them though is another story.....

Always awesome to see pros ripping it on my home course! Great vid, and the grip GG uses is the one I just discovered and love so much! It is funny how much more the clinics make sense after feeling/succeeding at some of the techniques.

I tried that grip he uses and I get nose up issues bad with it....

One thing I have noticed lately, on my better throws I hit my left pec during the pullthrough sometimes, seems to happen more often than not too......is that an indication of anything?

Shows that you are getting more distance when you bring the disc in close to your chest. Also, when the disc hits your chest, it makes you pause a little bit, forcing you to accelerate late into the hit. Instead of pulling through in a straight line, try bringing the disc into your chest at an angle. The path of the pull-through will be a flat V-shape. You should feel the weight of the disc after it passes through the bottom of the V. Don't accelerate until that point.

I know that everybody says to pull through in a straight line, but this is more to eliminate rounding. What I described above is the opposite of rounding and will help you to feel the weight of the disc vs. a straight pull.

Thats pretty good actually, I'm sure I do most if not all of those things, how to fix them though is another story.....

Pick one thing and focus on only that until it gets ingrained into your muscle memory. Then move on to the next one.

Latest posts