• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backhand VS Sidearm......is there a biased opinion in DG regarding Sidearmers

So....is this thinking rampant in DG or is it just the haters in my area? Is just that these guys probably can't throw a sidearm for crap or is there really an unspoken biased toward sidearm throwers in DG?

'those guys' are jealous DBs. keep throwing both. it is a wonderful skill to have, especially when playing tournaments at courses that you don't know.

So all this being said what would be a good disc for throwing a FH shot? I just lost the one I normally use and was wondering what I should think about replacing it with.

i don't know, why not get another of what you already had? any disc can be good for forehand, depends on what you need it for.

i know i definitely fall into the group who couldn't throw backhand to save my life when i started and could throw a decent forehand right away. eventually i got more and more comfortable throwing upshots backhanded and from further out, and then throwing rhbh anhyzers. even though a rhbh and rhfh will both finish left to right there are times when one is the better shot than the other.

as far as accuracy goes, i think it just depends on which throwing style you practice more. i'm a firm believer in the less movement the higher the accuracy. off of the tee i take a single step and throw forehand as opposed to a full backhand x step. if i feel like i'm not in the groove with my backhand i'll switch to my forehand since it doesn't take nearly as much for it to click. i'm still getting used to a smooth forehand release with a putter or neutral mid, but am throwing a 163 s line dd2 out past 400 without flipping it over.

I learned how to throw FH first and far but I was never as accurate as i wanted to be, so i learned how to throw BH, starting with a Buzzz. from there my BH game has developed into more my dominant style because when i used to throw FH all summer my elbow would get really sore and hurt from how hard and probably how incorrectly i was throwing. I still have a very long FH throw and when i practice it a good bit I have a great deal of control with it and I really think its just whatever that particular hole calls for and what you think you can best get down there with. I will say that without practice the "touch" for FH shots goes away quicker than for BH shots. this may just be because i throw more BH and when i do want to FH its for max distance and because of that small errors are exacerbated at higher speeds. My Fh tops out at around 460' on a perfect throw but averages about 400' and my BH gets out to 420' consistently and can reach over 450' when Im throwing well. stepped off from a hole thats measured at 415 and paced out from there so give or take 4-5 ft

I realized I forgot to address the issue with my post, I started playing in the Metro Detroit area and there were a lot of people who were Fh players and who were also very good. when i moved down to birmingham, AL to go to school, i kept on getting a lot of compliments on my FH, that it was accurate and that it went far and I think its just because people dont learn to play it as much down here and people just learn how to anny BH more than theyll learn a good FH. Depending on the course I can be about a 50/50 player BH/FH but now that my turnovers are getting better, im having better, more accurate results for drives just because i have release issues that can hurt accuracy with my FH and Ive never really noticed a bias other than people just giving me compliments on being able to hit long FH shots

Yeah, cavan, i think the metro d area is quite fh friendly. Two of most known pros (m.ellis & g.bennet) are/were fh dominate. Many of the popular courses have hosted worlds and tend to be well balanced. The new kensington is about as fh friendly as it gets.

I appreciate a good, clean shot weather its 100' or 400', bh, fh, or other.

every drive out of my hand is rhfh....it's what works and i can be very accurate with it...granted i carry a few extra molds..oh well that's why i carry a bigger bag...i have no issues with rhbh just love to watch my drivers s-curve and glide!! within about 150-200' is all bh...unless i'm turbo putting!! :) to each his own. if it ain't broke don't fix it...it's the same as getting pissed at someone who doesn't like to use a 3w in bg...

Yeah, cavan, i think the metro d area is quite fh friendly. Two of most known pros (m.ellis & g.bennet) are/were fh dominate. Many of the popular courses have hosted worlds and tend to be well balanced. The new kensington is about as fh friendly as it gets.

I appreciate a good, clean shot weather its 100' or 400', bh, fh, or other.

Oh yeah thats a really good point, Cass is my home course and i used to see Geoff out there all the time, also theres KT and the guys who all throw almost 400' with thumbers and tomahawks so i think theres a general thought that if the disc is near the pin, it gets nod, no matter how it gets there

So all this being said what would be a good disc for throwing a FH shot? I just lost the one I normally use and was wondering what I should think about replacing it with.

Just like with BH, the best disc for your FH depends on the shot, your power level, and your particular technique/throwing style. Personally, I like throwing my surge both BH and FH for distance although my FH distance is way less. I also like throwing comets and challengers for shorter FH shots.

It seems to me that some course designers think they are genius's simply by making a course contain more FH holes. They do nothing creative but dead straight with a slight RHFH fade. It's almost comical to watch an average RHFH player look like Climo on those courses.

It seems to me that some course designers think they are genius's simply by making a course contain more FH holes. They do nothing creative but dead straight with a slight RHFH fade. It's almost comical to watch an average RHFH player look like Climo on those courses.

Harsh, but true.

Jealous of my FH skills still :|?

I have just started, literally like a month ago. I started with the RHBH and it was fun but everything went wide left. I watched some videos (again just started and never even saw anyone play ever) and realized i could through forehand. It was a life changer. I am now getting some good distance on the forehand. I have also been throwing overhand (thumber). I think it would be great to develop my backhand more. It will be a great shot, just need to get some technique down. Any advice for a noob.

So, I started playing and threw nothing but RHBH. I mean, I tried a sidearm, quickly saw I had ZERO control over it and then decided to try and improve my backhand before developing a sidearm. About a month ago I decided to start throwing a sidearm shot on EVERY tee AFTER throwing my normal RHBH shot. My sidearm improved. I am now at the point where I am comfortable throwing either. My backhand still needs a lot of work (snap mostly) but I noticed that I am now out driving my backhand with my sidearm. It makes sense as I am an ex college baseball pitcher.

Anyway, the question.....Prior to getting into this game and in at the onset of playing the people I was playing with seemed to have a bad taste in their mouths regarding sidearm throwers.....ESPECIALLY guys that through the sidearm long and accurate. When asked why they felt that way I got answers like " Anyone can throw that sh*t" or "they just throw it sidearm because the can't throw a BH". Honestly, it appears to me that it's actually harder to throw an accurate sidearm consistently than it is to throw a BH consistently. The margin of error is much bigger with MY BH than it is with MY sidearm....that's MY experience though. So....is this thinking rampant in DG or is it just the haters in my area? Is just that these guys probably can't throw a sidearm for crap or is there really an unspoken biased toward sidearm throwers in DG?

Bias? Hate?

Of course there is. It is not just forehand, it's anything different. Overheads, rollers, lefties, etc., all get the treatment. What it comes down to is that REAL MEN THROW BACKHAND.

I'm biased against some backhanders too. People that throw air-bounces unintentionally but still manage to put their disc in better places than me make me rageful.

I think that's kind of the thing. FH form is less often "good". So when bad FH form beats out good BH form, the entire fh community is looked down on.

As far as rollers go, I think they're looked down on because a lot of people use them as a crutch.

If you use shots when they're the proper shot, or use proper form on the shots when it's a neutral hole, I don't think any shot is looked down on.

I started throwing BH because being a noob screwed me over. Threw a max wt. star boss FH for about 4 months, been trying to clean my form up for a year and i can still only get out to about 150 with my FH, and rarely where i want it.