• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backyard Disc Golf

Stankyjahnke

Double Eagle Member
So me and my brother set up a nice little practice hole.
1zzmb83.jpg

Hole 1 at the Jahnke DGC is between 200-250ft and plays over a wooded vacant lot from the street as a tee pad into my backyard. The crazy lady's backyard on the left is Ob and the guy's yard on the right is in play. There's a very large tree guarding the basket and alot of random little branches everywhere. not bad for the backyard. Sorry for the crappy phone picture

That's cool! We used cones to set up 4 different approaches to our one basket. And, I assume the crazy lady keeps discs, baseballs, or whatever falls in her yard lol

I love it! It sounds like when we were kids playing street football - "the end zone is between Old Man Johnson's truck and Mrs O'Learys Volkswagon, the sidewalk is out of bounds". Fun times, enjoy!

Its not unusual to get way more looks than posts.

Nice set up. I can put my practice basket in my back yard, but I don't have any trees for obstacles.

I only have a collection of small dog poops for obstacles, but I have some gentle elevation. Plus a nice wall I can place the basket on to practice for those pesky mini golf set ups with 15 foot high baskets.

Good to have a crazy lady in the neighborhood, keeping an eye on things. My neighbor with the large, aged glass greenhouse provides all the OB, none of the creepy. Plus, he's got a barn of which the broad side is occasionally threatened. 1st rule of my one-basket course is Putters Only. I use three at a time, driving from three tees before putting out and moving to the second and third set of three tees, more or less making an arc around the basket from various spots. The three-at-a-time method eliminates a lot of back and forth. Areas of long grass define OB near the basket to compensate for the general shortness, mostly 120', +/-. Makes for good upshot practice and an excellent opportunity for a practice putter to work its way up to the big show.

That looks like a good hole, I play backyard disc golf all the time especially this time of year. I used to be able to use the woods behind my house but that guy sold his property so it's off limits now. The longest hole I have is
185' but I can work on upshots and putting so it really helps. I'll get up a picture later.

My friends and I get our baskets together sometimes and play what we call "guerilla disc golf". We find a cool park with lots of elevation change and set up our own course. We usually just have 3 or 4 portable baskets so after we play a hole, we move it about 100 feet to change it up. It's a great break from the grind of playing the same local courses and you can have fun creating your own challenging holes. I should start a thread on it if there isn't one already.

Here's my backyard

I've only 1-3 A-C somewhat playable if we carry the skillshot, had a couple coworkers over the past 3 days, we must have played through those 6 holes a dozen times.

I am looking forward to the journey that is seeing more holes evolve and become playable, and by the spring having an entire course in my back yard :D

I just got a basket and I'm looking forward to setting up some camping courses/holes/challenges this year!

For now it's set up with a 20' run from my kitchen to my living room.

I have an elementary school behind my house with baseball fields beside it. I can make a nice little 9 hole course and have some fun. Backyard courses are super.

Renegade Tourney at local parks

My friends and I do the same thing! We have 3 baskets and set-up at a very nice local park with trees and elevation changes. We rotate who gets to design the hole (mandos & par). What a creative change from the regular course. Only problem is long holes with people walking dogs, kids playing etc.

Love it!
I live on a 5 lane main rd so when the approach like holes get boring we throw over the street :)

Thanks. a guy that lives around here created the mobile basket thats controlled by a remote control so you can drive it around and make ur own holes. its pretty awesome i met him at a nearby tournament. his website is discgolfanywhere.com if anyone is interested.

I think im gonna make some more holes in my back yard once it gets warmer lot of crap to clear and i dont wanna freeze my ass off out there

We don't have any baskets, so what we use instead are those fold up camping chairs (you know, the ones with the cup holders built into the armrest). My parents live across from a park that has a big field in it that never gets used, so we set up a 9 hole course there when we don't feel like traveling around and have a lot of fun. Since it's so wide open, there's not much shot shaping going on, but you can work on your form and its very forgiving to players who are new or don't play very often (like my parents and some of the neighborhood kids). We pretty much play by the rules that if you hit the top half of the back of the chair or sink it in the seat that it counts. Anywhere else on the chair is a bounce out. You're still developing the same skills and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than buying baskets. This fall I purchased a camp on about 3 acres of mixed hardwoods. Needless to say, I will be setting up a much better course there...but I'll still probably use the chairs because I'm cheap, lol. Backyard courses can be a real blast.

Latest posts