• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bad Etiquette?

Id say always keep it to yourself, if someone wants to know then they will know.

Or you could use it to your advantage like described in the OP.

Golf is a 90% mental sport. Why not screw with your oponents head a little? :D

to me NOT knowing your score is a dumb way to play the game. There are times you should know how to weigh the risk vs reward in relation to your overall position.

Good players handle the pressure well and strive off it. Maybe you just aren't cut out for tournament play otherwise lol. So much else to worry about in this tiny little sport no wonder its where it is when half of you get uptight over knowing where you stand during play :|

How does it work at the major NT's with the huge scoring signs are they just told to not show the card so they don't get mad? hahahaha

You might rethink your question had the guy put the hammer down and took you by a stroke or two. After which he thanked you for motivating him to put you away. Maybe not, but either way, I try to concern myself with my game, not others.

Why not screw with your oponents head a little? :D

If you have to beat an opponent with your mouth instead of your game, it means your game needs work.

Or perhaps your smiley implied sarcasm and I missed it. Either way...

bad form? yes. bad etiquette? Not really...

You really shouldn't have said anything unless you were asked. It's a type of gamesmanship that many frown upon.

Often made worse by those who feign: "I wasn't trying to work him!".

Id say always keep it to yourself, if someone wants to know then they will know.

I dont typically agree with this guy, But it is definitely poor form. did you tell the other two on the card where they stood? or just the guy who you wanted to beat. if he wanted to know his score, or where he was in relation to you im sure he would have asked. what was your honest reason for telling him?

It might not have been a matter of him not knowing his score just him not knowing where he stood overall. I keep track of my own score with birdie beads when I play tournaments. I really don't care to know where I stand vs the rest of the card. Typically I already have a good idea though.

Sounds like some weak mentality if you ask me.

I thought it was good practice for everyone to be filling out a score card anyways?! It shouldn't be some world shocking news. I cant imagine one top pro going into a final 9 not knowing their score.

wait one Etiquette "rule" doesn't jive with another?! yep sounds like DG...

IMHO it's kind of a situational thing and how it's presented and handled. Part of that comes down to personalities and how things have progressed to that point. Some people like to play tourneys with friendly banter between shots, some prefer silence. Some brood in their own juices and others are more animated.

If you'd been talking to the guy between shots up to that point in the round, and he'd been reciprocating, I don't see the big deal in merely mentioning that you were tied at that point, but I don't think it would do to expound on it. At that point, regardless of how politely it's mentioned, it becomes a form of trash talking.

On the other hand, if the two of you hadn't really exchanged many sentences, maybe the thought would have been better kept to yourself.

Although disc golf doesn't quite follow the level of decorum ball golf does, it's still originated from and is based on golf, and takes many of it's cues regarding customs, etiquette, and self-officiating from it.

As politically incorrect as this might seem, at it's heart, it's a gentlemen's game. One should conduct themselves as a gentleman - gentlemen don't trash talk. (casual rounds with friends and whatever level of understanding you have with them notwithstanding).

Sounds like some weak mentality if you ask me.

I thought it was good practice for everyone to be filling out a score card anyways?! It shouldn't be some world shocking news. I cant imagine one top pro going into a final 9 not knowing their score.

wait one Etiquette "rule" doesn't jive with another?! yep sounds like DG...

its not really pros that are affected. he said he was playing INT. a lot of people keep score without a running total. I would like to know why he told the guy that they were tied. Im guessing he was hoping it would rattle him.

IMO in a tournament keep it to yourself. Anyone can look at the score card at any time if they chose to do so. I don't like to know, I just want to throw!

to me NOT knowing your score is a dumb way to play the game. There are times you should know how to weigh the risk vs reward in relation to your overall position.

Good players handle the pressure well and strive off it. Maybe you just aren't cut out for tournament play otherwise lol. So much else to worry about in this tiny little sport no wonder its where it is when half of you get uptight over knowing where you stand during play :|

How does it work at the major NT's with the huge scoring signs are they just told to not show the card so they don't get mad? hahahaha

Different strokes for different folks. I don't care to know my score. If you tell me it doesn't bother me but generally I know where I stand. As far as risk reward goes I am a risk player balls to the walls no matter the score. I am either going to step on ur jugular or s&$t the bed. I find it hard to play conservative. :wall:

When playing a tourney and I have the scorecard I only look at it to write down scores and if someone asks what they are shooting i give them the scorecard so they can see for themselves. Always better to error on the side of caution as competition sometimes brings out the cry baby in people.

I find it to be bad etiquette. Don't do it again unless someone asks.

as competition sometimes brings out the cry baby in people.

I think you found the secret mentality problem with most DG'ers. They are hardly competitors to begin with lol.

" I just play my game and worry about my shots" blah blah blah. yeah right'

Stuff like this is one of the reasons I don't play a lot of tournaments. Getting upset about hearing your score? How do you people deal with anything in life?