• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Small local C-tier, which division?

Registration up to 72 of 90 with 14 in MA40. Rain in the morning, hopefully clearing off. Besides tournament watching coverage, I'll be very out of my element in the rain, and I stink with poor footing. Don't like walking with wet feet… it will be an experience.

I too am a "don't use a mini" guy and I have found that it is a big advantage when playing in the rain. I can step out of the umbrella right up to my lie and putt, I don't have to mess with a wet mini or wet disc getting my hand wet, all that extra bending over and messing with a disc, throwing off your routine and flow.

Polyester or wool socks are a huge upgrade over traditional cotton when they are wet. They make playing with wet feet a little more comfy.

Dust has settled. I placed 5th out of 13 in MA40. I was 5 strokes behind the winner. Shot decent for me (-3) in the first round and had a couple more errant throws in round two to shoot only even. What's interesting is EVERYONE in MP40 shot even or worse in round two. Is that a thing for us older dudes in single-day tournaments?

Great fun, met cool dudes, and didn't realize that you win 'store credit' in Am. I didn't realize we could win anything as an amateur. I spent my whole $11 on a backup Mentor.

Appreciate all your comments and help!

Dust has settled. I placed 5th out of 13 in MA40. I was 5 strokes behind the winner. Shot decent for me (-3) in the first round and had a couple more errant throws in round two to shoot only even. What's interesting is EVERYONE in MP40 shot even or worse in round two. Is that a thing for us older dudes in single-day tournaments?

Great fun, met cool dudes, and didn't realize that you win 'store credit' in Am. I didn't realize we could win anything as an amateur. I spent my whole $11 on a backup Mentor.

Appreciate all your comments and help!

The bolded part is my experience also. But I've seen it in other AM divisions. My thought is that AMs don't play/practice multiple rounds in one day outside of tournaments. For me, at 63, I will start playing multiple rounds about two weeks before a tournament. That let's me get used to the grind of 36 holes in one day.

The bolded part is my experience also. But I've seen it in other AM divisions. My thought is that AMs don't play/practice multiple rounds in one day outside of tournaments. For me, at 63, I will start playing multiple rounds about two weeks before a tournament. That let's me get used to the grind of 36 holes in one day.

A-ha. Good tip. I didn't feel tired or even think I was, but missed two shots I made in r1 (skipped off the island almost exactly same shot as r1, unlucky, and missed one gap off the tee). I will often throw 50+ moderate power field shots at lunch, and still play a full round after work (not every day, but some days). I also took the day before the tournament completely off. Didn't touch a disc except to wash my putters in the sink. I think that actually helped putting.

My -3 round was 912 and my even round was 879. When will I get an official rating? Is it the first Tuesday?
Second Tuesday (today was the May ratings update)
https://www.pdga.com/faq/ratings/when-updated

https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/68842

You should have a rating today if the Tournament Director submitted everything to the PDGA on time (looks like this is the case). It won't show on the event results page since that is a snapshot of every competitor's historic rating on the day of the tournament. If you select your name you should be able to see your rating that updated today.

Congrats. Sounds like a really solid 1st event.

You had fun AND played well.

Second Tuesday (today was the May ratings update)
https://www.pdga.com/faq/ratings/when-updated

https://www.pdga.com/tour/event/68842

You should have a rating today if the Tournament Director submitted everything to the PDGA on time (looks like this is the case). It won't show on the event results page since that is a snapshot of every competitor's historic rating on the day of the tournament. If you select your name you should be able to see your rating that updated today.

Yep - I have a rating now at 896.

Congrats. Sounds like a really solid 1st event.

You had fun AND played well.

It was fun, but I played mediocre, haha. Thanks again to all.

Latest posts