• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Small local C-tier, which division?

https://www.pdga.com/course-directory/course/bartlett-park

Click Layouts tab to see all the layout details for tournaments there. It also has direct links to the tournament results pages. Tournament layouts may add additional OB/penalty/rules so check the discgolfscene page if it has any of that info for the layouts.

I'd recommend age protected AM if the field size is enough to make a full card. Otherwise MA2.

Last edited:
You've never played a sanctioned tournament, so I'd say play AM4 and go from there. You'll get a rating and you'll know what division to sign up for next time.

Bring a stool, extra drinks, snacks, towels, spare pair of shoes and socks, cash, put sunscreen on your face and neck. Show up early so you're not rushed and you can socialize and take your time.

Have fun

You've never played a sanctioned tournament, so I'd say play AM4 and go from there. You'll get a rating and you'll know what division to sign up for next time.

Bring a stool, extra drinks, snacks, towels, spare pair of shoes and socks, cash, put sunscreen on your face and neck. Show up early so you're not rushed and you can socialize and take your time.

Have fun

Something to sit on occasionally is very handy. Tournaments always seem to have some point where you are waiting. Having to stand or sit in the ground sucks.

Something to sit on occasionally is very handy. Tournaments always seem to have some point where you are waiting. Having to stand or sit in the ground sucks.

Yep. It's a good habit to carry a stool with you if you carry a bag as well. You can place your bag on the stool instead of the ground when you throw. This is good for many reasons. First, your bag is elevated, so you don't have to bend all the way over to pick it up, it makes picking it up easier. Your bag also stays dry instead of getting wet/muddy/dirty on the ground. Ever see people with that giant wet spot on their back/butt area? That's from sitting bag on ground, it gets wet, then slinging bag over back.

Also bags are a bigtime tick vector. You sit them down in the grass and ticks jump on them. If you have a stool to sit your bag on while you throw, it never touches the ground.

They just moved the baskets to the tournament layout. Combining 17 and 18 to one par 5. Bleh…. Anyway, I haven't officially registered yet because I'm paying attention to who is signing up in the divisions. So far MA1, MA40 and MA2 are the hotbeds.

You with experience in local c-tiers… are there usually a ton of signups day of tournament, or do they usually fill up before? Right now 38 of 90 spots are filled.

You with experience in local c-tiers… are there usually a ton of signups day of tournament, or do they usually fill up before? Right now 38 of 90 spots are filled.

In general we get a small rush (10 or fewer) a few days before an unfilled event if the weather is going to be good. This is usually mitigated for the most part by some people who signed up long ago dropping out as they figure out they have other things to do. This probably differs from region to region. If the event is in the next couple weeks and currently has 38/90 (fivesomes- boo) spots filled then it is likely not going to fill.

They just moved the baskets to the tournament layout. Combining 17 and 18 to one par 5. Bleh…. Anyway, I haven't officially registered yet because I'm paying attention to who is signing up in the divisions. So far MA1, MA40 and MA2 are the hotbeds.

We are usually full before day off and some TDs don't allow day of signups anymore.

A lot of times the final week has a huge rush of sign ups.

We're up to 53 registrations. I decided to go MA40 and see how it goes. Two rounds on Saturday.

Question: I don't use a mini. BUT! I always stand correctly behind my disc, even putting in/out the circle. I planned to do the same in the tournament. What kind of a freak will I be? I'm not interested in changing routine, but I could run a few rounds playing behind the mini and see how it goes.

We're up to 53 registrations. I decided to go MA40 and see how it goes. Two rounds on Saturday.

Question: I don't use a mini. BUT! I always stand correctly behind my disc, even putting in/out the circle. I planned to do the same in the tournament. What kind of a freak will I be? I'm not interested in changing routine, but I could run a few rounds playing behind the mini and see how it goes.

You never have to mark your lie with a mini when inbound, I don't use one in the fairway unless I want to throw the same disc again, but if you have to establish your lie from O.B. you'll need a mini, you can't use a disc to do so. Also there's always situation in the rough that sometimes it's easier to get behind your lie if you mark it with a mini, you can't flip your disc in tournament.

No one will care. I seldom use a mini because I try to minimize the number of times I have to bend over. You do at least need a mini with you for the times you want to use the same disc you just threw. There are also times where that extra 8 inches can make a difference in your ability to get off a shot unencumbered one way or another.

As others have said, you don't have to use a mini, unless you are marking your lie after being OB. But, there are times you may want to use a mini. As Biscoe said, there are times that extra 8 inches can make a difference. Like if your disc is touching a rock or a tree or a root....you might be able to get better footing by using a mini marker. I've used a mini marker when putting because the extra 8 inches let me reach and set my disc in the basket instead of having to throw it. During a tournament, I noticed that Nathan Queen rarely used a mini marker...when I asked him about it he said that he thinks about his shot as he walks up to his lie and prefers to not be distracted by placing a mini marker; but he will use one if it gives him a better lie.

So carry one with you.....as long as you stay inbounds and don't want to use the disc you just threw, you never need to use the mini....but there may be a time you are glad you have it.

I rarely mark my disc with a mini. Only when I want the disc that is on the ground or when I can gain an advantage...like moving forward a disc to avoid a tree in my backswing. Also need a mini for OB marking. I do advice having one to use for just such events.

Sorry, should have read the last handful of responses.

Registration up to 72 of 90 with 14 in MA40. Rain in the morning, hopefully clearing off. Besides tournament watching coverage, I'll be very out of my element in the rain, and I stink with poor footing. Don't like walking with wet feet… it will be an experience.

Registration up to 72 of 90 with 14 in MA40. Rain in the morning, hopefully clearing off. Besides tournament watching coverage, I'll be very out of my element in the rain, and I stink with poor footing. Don't like walking with wet feet… it will be an experience.

No bad weather, just bad gear.

If you are using a cart, makes rain a lot easier to over prepare. Nothing wrong with that unless it becomes a hindrance.

Good thing about rain? Take's pressure off to be a hero.

Try to have fun and don't think too much about score.

Latest posts