• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bag help for a newbie

travislj

Years playing/experience: DG 3 months
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, some OH
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Aviar: 200, Roc 250, Teebird: 300'

* Max distance is the greatest distance you can throw your top 2-3 drivers with any regularity

Am I missing anything besides distance drivers? Does it look like all my bases are covered?
Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
175 Champ Teebird, (used but stable) - main driver
175 Champ Leopard, (new) - annys
175 Champ Banshee, (new) - overstable/headwind

Mids:
175 KC Roc (new) - main stable mid
175 DX Roc (used) - less stable

Putters:
175 JK Aviar x2, (one new, one used) - main putter

Don't bother with the distance drivers yet. It looks really good. The only thing I might change is the weight on the drivers. They are all max weight. Thats ok for the banshee you want that disc to be overstable anyway. but for the leo and teebird I would try some in the 160's.

yep I like this! Nice set-up for a new player (wish I had done the same)! Learn to drive with your mids and putters, and key in on the different lines you can hit with your fairways.

Thanks for the advice. What about an Eagle? Is it close enough to the same as a Teebird? Should I try Eagle or just stick with the Teebird?

Thanks for the advice. What about an Eagle? Is it close enough to the same as a Teebird? Should I try Eagle or just stick with the Teebird?

I love the eagle. But everyone is different but I would recomend trying one. Try one in the mid 160's.

I love the eagle. But everyone is different but I would recomend trying one. Try one in the mid 160's.

After I do should I decide which I like better between the Teebird and Eagle and just keep one of them? I'm a fan of minimalism already.

After I do should I decide which I like better between the Teebird and Eagle and just keep one of them? I'm a fan of minimalism already.

I would test it out in a field to get a feel of how it fly's and then decide if it's right for you. Then decide if you can do without one or the other. Test it out for a while that's really all you can do.

get a pro leopard and dx teebird in high 160's, 170 at the most. i would also suggest a regular dx aviar (beadless) - they are a great control disc and break in to wonderfulness.

for any future disc purchases, i highly recommend the cheaper plastics (innova - dx, pro / discraft - pro d, elite x). you will save money, the discs are easier to throw, and less forgiving.

how does the dx roc fly for you? can you get a good turnover (right turning) shot from it? even if you can i would recommend a dx stingray, awesome disc for many things.

I would say you need an understable mid. Maybe a Comet in X plastic or a beat in Roc so you can turn it over to the right when throwing RHBH. It will add a lot to your game as well as teach you really good form. Good luck to you!

get a pro leopard and dx teebird in high 160's, 170 at the most. i would also suggest a regular dx aviar (beadless) - they are a great control disc and break in to wonderfulness.

for any future disc purchases, i highly recommend the cheaper plastics (innova - dx, pro / discraft - pro d, elite x). you will save money, the discs are easier to throw, and less forgiving.

how does the dx roc fly for you? can you get a good turnover (right turning) shot from it? even if you can i would recommend a dx stingray, awesome disc for many things.

The dx roc will turnover just fine, unless I just throw it bad. :) I do have a 169 dx teebird that it my furthest flier.